prematch offer... help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alwayslight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First question is, aren't you entering the match? If you are an american grad, any prematch offers that come your way are illegal, I believe.

If you are a foreign grad, you'll be able to go this route. If I were in that situation, I'd contact your number one and say that you're really really really interested in them and you'd love to be part of their program.

Looking back on prelim programs that I applied to, the only things to beware of are super cushy ones (you may not learn enough) and super difficult ones (you'll learn, but wayyyy overkill for PM&R). Otherwise I dont think it makes too big of a difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
First question is, aren't you entering the match? If you are an american grad, any prematch offers that come your way are illegal, I believe.

Just an FYI - Allopathic programs can offer not only foreign grads but also american osteopathic grads pre-match offers.

Just an FYI - Allopathic programs can offer not only foreign grads but also american osteopathic grads pre-match offers.

To further clarify: anyone can accept a pre-match except US allopathic seniors. DO students, FMGs, IMGs, and anyone who has already graduated from med school – all can sign outside of the Match.

Hey everyone

So I got a pre-match offer for a prelim program in NY... it's not my number one choice. Nor is it my third choice. I have 14 interviews that I'm going to for prelim medicine, and now I'm really torn. Is it "illegal" to contact my number one program and let them know my situation? I know my number one program offers prematches, but was told they wouldn't be calling people until end of December. Oh and BTW, I have 10 days to make a decision. I thought I'd be happy if a situation like this came up.

And pls don't get mad at me for posting on this forum. I'm well aware this isn't PM&R related.... but I like you all here... and I feel you've been very honest and direct with answering questions.

Thanks

As an independent applicant, it is not illegal to contact your #1 – or any other program at which you’ve interviewed that you think is better – and make them aware of the situation. I would contact your other programs quickly, and give them as much time as you need to make a decision. Your #1 may stick to their guns though.

There is risk involved in this. This was one of those scenarios behind the rationale for instituting a match. To avoid playing programs and applicants against other. To avoid pressuring applicants into making hasty decisions. Although your pre-match might be a less desirable program, it is only one year, and most of here would argue that we can do anything for a year. You will have some peace of mind for the time being. But the fact that you have that many interviews lined up suggests that you may be more competitive than we thought.

One other thing, if you accept any prelim pre-match offer, be aware that you won’t be able to rank categorical PM&R programs.

Tough decision.

To further clarify: anyone can accept a pre-match except US allopathic seniors. DO students, FMGs, IMGs, and anyone who has already graduated from med school – all can sign outside of the Match.

As an independent applicant, it is not illegal to contact your #1 – or any other program at which you’ve interviewed that you think is better – and make them aware of the situation. I would contact your other programs quickly, and give them as much time as you need to make a decision. Your #1 may stick to their guns though.

There is risk involved in this. This was one of those scenarios behind the rationale for instituting a match. To avoid playing programs and applicants against other. To avoid pressuring applicants into making hasty decisions. Although your pre-match might be a less desirable program, it is only one year, and most of here would argue that we can do anything for a year. You will have some peace of mind for the time being. But the fact that you have that many interviews lined up suggests that you may be more competitive than we thought.

One other thing, if you accept any prelim pre-match offer, be aware that you won’t be able to rank categorical PM&R programs.

Tough decision.

Could not agree more.

I'm a DO and was offered a pre-match position. It was very tempting to take but some of my top programs offered categorical positions and I did not want to diminish my chances of matching into one of those programs by not being able to rank both categorical and advanced.

Not matching for your intern year is nerve racking but I always tell students to keep in mind that your ultimate goal is to get into a good PM&R program. So don't let the fear distract you from your ultimate goal. Eight prelim interviews is a pretty good number so you probably have a good shot at matching at one of those programs.