Premed at UCSD or UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SQUIX06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Im new to this site, but i just found out that I have been accepted to UCSD and UCLA for undergrad. I have visited both the schools in the past, and I loved the atmosphere at both. However, I want to go to the school that will have the best academic atmosphere for me to succeed. I also plan on majoring in Psychology at the university I go to.
Which school will be less competetive for a premed?
Which school will it be easier to make it to med-school from?
Any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

~SQUIX

Members don't see this ad.

Both schools will be your ticket in to med school if you do well. Which is more competitive? I don't think that anyone can know this. I know that most of my pre-med classes at UCSD were highly competitive and graded on a C+ curve. This is tougher than most schools, but hey - getting into med school shouldnt be easy. Both schools will also offer you endless opportunities to get involved in research or clinical activities if you are outgoing and pursue these opportunities. If you sit on your arse like many of my pre-med friends and get involved with very few (or meaningless) activities, or if you do poorly with academics, then forget about the UC name helping you anywhere. It's all about what you make out of a school. Good luck, PM me if you have specific UCSD questions and want to know my feelings about the school at large.

SQUIX06 said:
Hey everyone,
Im new to this site, but i just found out that I have been accepted to UCSD and UCLA for undergrad. I have visited both the schools in the past, and I loved the atmosphere at both. However, I want to go to the school that will have the best academic atmosphere for me to succeed. I also plan on majoring in Psychology at the university I go to.
Which school will be less competetive for a premed?
Which school will it be easier to make it to med-school from?
Any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

~SQUIX

I did a postbac program in San Diego, taking a year of premed classes. I graduated from UC Davis but my other post-bac friends went to UCLA for their undergrad. Everyone that I know that has had experience in both schools taking premedical courses says that competition is less at UCSD. My friends also mentioned that the teachers were much nicer and more helpful at UCSD then at UCLA. So if you want an "easier" ride then deffinetly go to UCSD, just remember, it still will be pretty difficult. The fact that you haven't even started college and are on this website tells me that no matter which school you go to you are going to do fine. If I was as ambitious as you are when I was your age I wouldn't have had to do my postbac program.

Good luck