Premed Prereqs at CCC? HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PatTheBunny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there, just wanted to clarify something. I was rescinded by all the UC's because of a stupid mistake senior year, so I'm trying to go the community college route.

Now, I wanted to transfer into Microbiology and then apply to a medical school, but apparently, med schools don't like it when you take your premed prereqs at a junior college. The problem is that most, if not all of my Microbiology prereqs that I'm required to take are ALSO premed prereqs.

So the problem is, that if I take the prereqs and transfer to UCSD, my school of choice, medical schools will look down on me taking the prereqs at the CC, and in some cases, may not even accept the credit. On the other hand, I don't know how to transfer into Microbiology without completing the prereqs.

PLEASE, can someone clarify as to what I'm supposed to do if my goal is premed? I really want to go to a UC, and I really want this major. I also want to be a decent candidate for medical schools though.

These are my prereqs for the major: BILD 1 & 3, Mathematics 10A, B, 11/10C or 20A, B, C Chemistry 6A, B, C, and 6BL Physics 1A+1AL, 1B+1BL, 1C+1CL or 2A, B, C and one lab (2BL, 2CL, 2DL). As far as I know, all of them are premed prereqs. Could I transfer in as an unrelated major or undeclared and then somehow change my major to Microbio? I really need some help here. I almost have IGETC finished due to 24 units in AP credit.

tl;dr/Summary: I want to transfer into Microbiology at UCSD from a CC, yet I also want to apply for med school. My prereqs for microbio are also premed prereqs. Apparently, med schools don't accept prereqs completed at a junior college, or look down upon it. on the other hand, I don't know how to transfer into microbio without taking the prereqs.

I'm in a huge pickle. =( Please forgive me if this has been discussed to death here. I'm freaking out so much right now.

Members don't see this ad.

They look down on it only if you're already a UC student and you take them at the CC while still enrolled at the UC.

Take all your prereqs at CC then transfer to UCSD as microbio. Try to finish IGETC too.

I'm more curious about the "stupid mistake" that got you expelled I'm assuming? I don't really know what rescinded means in this context.

Members don't see this ad :)
I ended up getting a D in AP English Lit. I still hate myself for it. I tried to beg to the teacher to change my grade to a C- since I passed the AP exam with a 5, but he refused. I also tried reporting my grade to the UC's and explaining to them that I had technically fulfilled their English requirement with my passing of the AP test, but I ended up having my acceptance rescinded. I ended up throwing away my chances at going to a top-tier university for four years, all because I got lazy and thought that I could cram a semester long project into three days. Needless to say, I've learned my lesson.

Also, thanks for clarifying, ange. I'm pretty uninformed when it comes to information about transferring, and my counselors weren't very helpful. I'll just stick to finishing my prereqs and IGETC then.

Last edited:
I ended up getting a D in AP English Lit. I still hate myself for it. I tried to beg to the teacher to change my grade to a C- since I passed the AP exam with a 5, but he refused. I also tried reporting my grade to the UC's and explaining to them that I had technically fulfilled their English requirement with my passing of the AP test, but I ended up having my acceptance rescinded. I ended up throwing away my chances at going to a top-tier university for four years, all because I got lazy and thought that I could cram a semester long project into three days. Needless to say, I've learned my lesson.

g2vy

That must be such a bad feel. I bet your parents were slightly upset...

Also, thanks for clarifying, ange. I'm pretty uninformed when it comes to information about transferring, and my counselors weren't very helpful. I'll just stick to finishing my prereqs and IGETC then.

damn son. i remember having an F my last quarter in a really stupid elective class. but i managed to get it up to a D- and the overall year average for the class to a B- so my uni didn't care.
was your quarter grade a D or your year average a D?

With UCSD you'll have to take those pre-reqs for the microbiology major again when you enter UCSD regardless of whether you completed them or not.

They look down on it only if you're already a UC student and you take them at the CC while still enrolled at the UC.

Take all your prereqs at CC then transfer to UCSD as microbio. Try to finish IGETC too.

That is incorrect. Some medical schools will not accept any pre-reqs taken at a CC. The California 2+2 community/UC or CSU system does not exist in every state, and in some states CC's are really looked down upon.

That said, OP, I took my intro bio coursework and some physics at a CC, and since I took more advance bio and physics classes at a four-year college, none of the med schools I was interested in had an issue with that. But if you take, say, all your physics or gen chem classes at a CC, it will limit where you can apply to.

Seriously, this question pops up sooooooo many times. Yes some schools don't take CC credit but if you don't get in anywhere at all while applying early and broadly, which is something you should do regardless, then it's not the CC credits that hold you back. I don't know what it takes to get in top 10 school but if your goal is just to get in somewhere then it doesn't matter.