Premed Stereotypes: The 9 Different Types of Premeds

I am the Walrus

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There’s always been this notion that the premed student was the one that sits in the front of every class, pays attention, gets the grades, volunteers with every cause under the sun, and in general cannot stop talking about grades, medicine, and anything related to medical school. In reality, premeds come in all shapes and sizes. Generally, they are :

1. The GUNNER: Stay away from this type of premed – don’t even look them in the eyes for heaven’s sake. Their habitat is usually confined to the university library, however they are known to venture into the outside world for lectures. This category of premed is notorious for ripping your generous heart out and using your anguish for their benefit. They get involved in everything that “looks good” and will lead previously great university clubs into the ground. Unfortunately, even with all the interviews and assessments, some gunners are able to get in to medical school.

2. The Quiet Premed: This premed is the premed that you didn’t know was a premed. They are usually quite reserved about talking about their aspirations. Usually if you ask them what they want to do when they graduate they will give you some convoluted answer – boiling down to “I’m not sure”, or “I don’t know”. One day, (usually in May :p ) you will find out they were accepted in medical school out of no where.

3.The I’m Not a Premed, Premed: This premed is usually in a major that is related as far away from the traditional premed majors as possible. They carve there own pathway to medical school and are quite unique. They give a refreshing perspective, and are usually quite successful because they are not caught up in all the hoopla as the other premed’s are.

4. The Delusional Premed: This premed is the premed that shouldn’t even be a premed. They usually have a GPA under 3.0 and count visiting their grandparents as “elderly assistance” for an extra curricular. This is the premed that either doesn’t understand what it takes, or simply doesn’t care. This premed does not get into medicine, (at least in Canada) and is weeded out quite early.

5. The Helpful Premed: This premed is the opposite of the Gunner, they are really nice and they got your back. They are always there if you need help, and generally care about those around them. The helpful premed is usually a successful premed.

6. The Crying Annoying Premed: This premed is usually your best friend. They are very insecure about their marks and a constantly comparing to see who did better. These premeds are very needy and will annoy you to death with their whining. Generally, this premed will make it to the interview stage but will crack under pressure. Some are successful.. however it depends on whether or not they have driven their friends to absolute insanity by the end of the process.

7. The I am the Gift to the World Premed: This usually is a sub-species of premed that is so caught up in themselves that they forget that being a doctor is about helping others. Usually they have aspirations of being a plastic surgeon or dermatologist – they are only really in it for the money. Generally gunners and delusional premeds form the bulk of this group. These guys are usually weeded out but the interview stage – one hopes.

8. The regular Premed: This premed forms the bulk of premeds. They are the average premed student. They do all the work, some qualify, others don’t. They are almost always in a biology or a bio-science related major (psychology included).

9. The Non-Traditional Premed: This premed was unsure of a career in medicine when they were in undergrad. After a couple of years in the workforce, they realize their true passion in life and will stop at nothing to get it. These guys are truly passionate about becoming a doctor and have tons of life experience, but may lack in gpa. Usually if they can make it to the interview stage, they are set. It takes a lot of balls to be the oldest person in the undergrad biology class for something as uncertain as medical school – these guys deserve respect.

My response: if you’re applying or even thinking about applying to medical school, then you’re a gunner.

http://medschoolgunner.com/2012/12/14/about/

Members don't see this ad.

Read number one, realized the generalizations were feeding misconceptions, then stopped reading.

There are two types of premeds:

(1) Those who become doctors
(2) Those who don't

Otherwise, most people jump back and forth between most of these categories.

:laugh: Interesting thread.

I'm a combination of 2, 3, 4, & 9. :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Read number one, realized the generalizations were feeding misconceptions, then stopped reading.

There are two types of premeds:

(1) Those who become doctors
(2) Those who don't

Gunner.

Helpful premed.

/nonhumblebrag

9 all the way for me. Although stretch a few years into many years. Then once I started taking a few classes to prove that I wasn't "brain damaged" I acted like I was a 2 for a while, and was mostly a 5.

now I am an accepted-to-med-school premed. :)

dsoz

I support this thread.

Side note: you might want to add that if you don't know any "annoying crying pre-meds" then that means it's probably you.

Delusional Gunner in.

4. The Delusional Premed: This premed is the premed that shouldn't even be a premed. They usually have a GPA under 3.0 and count visiting their grandparents as "elderly assistance" for an extra curricular. This is the premed that either doesn't understand what it takes, or simply doesn't care. This premed does not get into medicine, (at least in Canada) and is weeded out quite early.

these are the ones who are often the sources for the quotes posted in that "funny quotes from less-informed pre-meds."

I try to act harmless as a #6 to throw off the #1's but, secretly, I am the top #1 ****ing over all the other kids who think that they are in control.

Depends on the day.

:ninja:

I try to act harmless as a #6 to throw off the #1's but, secretly, I am the top #1 ****ing over all the other kids who think that they are in control.

Hacked into the Dean's computer, changed all my grades to As, edited all the other premeds to Bs and Cs.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's always been this notion that the premed student was the one that sits in the front of every class, pays attention, gets the grades, volunteers with every cause under the sun, and in general cannot stop talking about grades, medicine, and anything related to medical school. In reality, premeds come in all shapes and sizes. Generally, they are :

1. The GUNNER: Stay away from this type of premed – don't even look them in the eyes for heaven's sake. Their habitat is usually confined to the university library, however they are known to venture into the outside world for lectures. This category of premed is notorious for ripping your generous heart out and using your anguish for their benefit. They get involved in everything that "looks good" and will lead previously great university clubs into the ground. Unfortunately, even with all the interviews and assessments, some gunners are able to get in to medical school.

2. The Quiet Premed: This premed is the premed that you didn't know was a premed. They are usually quite reserved about talking about their aspirations. Usually if you ask them what they want to do when they graduate they will give you some convoluted answer – boiling down to "I'm not sure", or "I don't know". One day, (usually in May :p ) you will find out they were accepted in medical school out of no where.

3.The I'm Not a Premed, Premed: This premed is usually in a major that is related as far away from the traditional premed majors as possible. They carve there own pathway to medical school and are quite unique. They give a refreshing perspective, and are usually quite successful because they are not caught up in all the hoopla as the other premed's are.

4. The Delusional Premed: This premed is the premed that shouldn't even be a premed. They usually have a GPA under 3.0 and count visiting their grandparents as "elderly assistance" for an extra curricular. This is the premed that either doesn't understand what it takes, or simply doesn't care. This premed does not get into medicine, (at least in Canada) and is weeded out quite early.

5. The Helpful Premed: This premed is the opposite of the Gunner, they are really nice and they got your back. They are always there if you need help, and generally care about those around them. The helpful premed is usually a successful premed.

6. The Crying Annoying Premed: This premed is usually your best friend. They are very insecure about their marks and a constantly comparing to see who did better. These premeds are very needy and will annoy you to death with their whining. Generally, this premed will make it to the interview stage but will crack under pressure. Some are successful.. however it depends on whether or not they have driven their friends to absolute insanity by the end of the process.

7. The I am the Gift to the World Premed: This usually is a sub-species of premed that is so caught up in themselves that they forget that being a doctor is about helping others. Usually they have aspirations of being a plastic surgeon or dermatologist – they are only really in it for the money. Generally gunners and delusional premeds form the bulk of this group. These guys are usually weeded out but the interview stage – one hopes.

8. The regular Premed: This premed forms the bulk of premeds. They are the average premed student. They do all the work, some qualify, others don't. They are almost always in a biology or a bio-science related major (psychology included).

9. The Non-Traditional Premed: This premed was unsure of a career in medicine when they were in undergrad. After a couple of years in the workforce, they realize their true passion in life and will stop at nothing to get it. These guys are truly passionate about becoming a doctor and have tons of life experience, but may lack in gpa. Usually if they can make it to the interview stage, they are set. It takes a lot of balls to be the oldest person in the undergrad biology class for something as uncertain as medical school – these guys deserve respect.

My response: if you're applying or even thinking about applying to medical school, then you're a gunner.

http://medschoolgunner.com/2012/12/14/about/

Good thread. Unfortunately, I'm not even a premed. Just going my own way exploring stuff and hanging out in class threads. Make that what you will.

Obviously the author who wrote this is a gunner himself thinking he isn't. Then again we are all gunners, maybe not in the premed context but definitely so in life

Obviously the author who wrote this is a gunner himself thinking he isn't. Then again we are all gunners, maybe not in the premed context but definitely so in life

I thought being a gunner was distinct from being an ambitious "type A" personality -- that being a gunner was defined by actively sabotaging other people and using unethical means to get ahead?

I think it's definitely possible to be ambitious and yet also genuinely try to work with other pre-meds for mutual benefit. I love that the school I attend does not curve in science classes and grades on a straight scale with no extra credit. It means that students have an incentive to work with one another to master the material and no incentive to cut each other down.

I thought being a gunner was distinct from being an ambitious "type A" personality -- that being a gunner was defined by actively sabotaging other people and using unethical means to get ahead?

Yep, you're right. It's a common misconception. We're all type A, but few are actual gunners. They become synonymous in medical school though, due to the misconception.

I satisfy 2, 4, 5, 9

Lets not also forget about: 10) the premed haters that are also premed

Have you tried the pre-med pre-med? It's a pre-med that acts just like a pre-med.

Tastes just like a pre-med!

I'm a Helpful Pre-med, but a gunner when it comes to doing work and studying. I also aspire to become a dermatologist/plastic surgeon/surgeon, but I don't see why I have to be despised for that reason. I've been poor my entire life, and I want to make a lot of money so that my mom can stop working in a sweatshop and my dad can stop being on disability. Is that so bad?

5 - but only to my friends

God's gift to the world premed checking in

I'd put myself as number 2 & 8. Just because I'm so quiet :D

I was an 8 when I first started college. Then I became disillusioned about my grades and other stuff, and almost quit being premed. Then I came back and started to volunteer more and do a bunch of really fun activities.

Now I think I am a 5. Well, I would be a 5 if I was still in college as a student. I try not to brag. Nobody in the real world besides my close friends, family and adviser even knows which medical school I have been accepted to. If someone asks, I tell them I will announce it in May. I just say I have been accepted.

(however, all the information is available on my mdapps and you just have to search my SDN username to find it out).

I'm assuming that this list was written by a pre-med because contrary to popular opinion, #1 probably has the highest acceptance % of any group and #7 isn't far behind. Med school interviewers can't stare into your soul. Essay questions and interviews are mostly just hoops to jump through to make sure you are serious about completing medical school.

Yep, you're right. It's a common misconception. We're all type A, but few are actual gunners. They become synonymous in medical school though, due to the misconception.

I think the confusion originates in the difference between someone "gunning for the top" (relatively normal type A behavior) and someone "gunning down the competition to get to the top" (the original definition of the gunner).

I started out as the "Helpful" premed, but eventually realized this requires a ton of energy. By senior year, I had mastered the college test-taking game, and all I wanted to do was flirt with female classmates and professors. Yes, even the botany lab instructor in her 50s. I gave absolutely no rips. When people asked me what I wanted to do with my chemistry degree, I honestly said "grad school." I had no more pride in my premed status, only a somber sense of realism.

To all you helpful premeds: if you know what's good for you, there will come a day when you no longer want to tutor, mentor, or even explain your career aspirations to anyone. You will become the aloof, quiet premed and get all the babes. Boomdaddy.

Last edited:
By senior year, I had mastered the college test-taking game, and all I wanted to do was flirt with female classmates and professors. Yes, even the botany lab instructor in her 50s. I gave absolutely no rips.

To all you helpful premeds: if you know what's good for you, there will come a day when you no longer want to tutor, mentor, or even explain your career aspirations to anyone. You will become the aloof, quiet premed and get all the babes. Boomdaddy.

SDN never fails me

If you met me in real life and asked me if I am a premed, I would deny it until the day I die (unless I had spoken with you previously). There was an instance where I was discussing medical school with my PI and this child overheard. He then followed me back to my dorm and started barraged me with questions. Ugh....

I started off as a 2, then went to a 5, then 8 :D

So you're telling me that visiting my grandparents DOES NOT count as elderly assistance?!

Delusional Pre Med

- opens door for old lady at mall-- non clinical community service-- check

- gives band-aid to friend-- clinical experience- check

- grows mold on pizza in dorm fridge-- research experience-- check

- doodles on notebook during lecture-- artistic endeavors- check

- fools around on drums at Costco-- musical endeavors- check

- gets A on Intro Bio, Ds in every other class, 15 on MCAT-- applies to Harvard and Hopkins only-- check

Delusional Pre Med
- gives band-aid to friend-- clinical experience- check

Actually, that reminds of this one time I was walking across campus, girl in front of me got a bee sting, and having first aid training, literally just walk up asked if she needed help, flicked the stinger out and went on my way, was in a hurry....hopefully she wasn't to bee stings.

More on topic definitely a 2. And given that I fell asleep in a lot of lecture people rarely asked me for help, until they realized one was of the people in the class skewing the curve higher. And when they asked for help I would help them.

Actually, that reminds of this one time I was walking across campus, girl in front of me got a bee sting, and having first aid training, literally just walk up asked if she needed help, flicked the stinger out and went on my way, was in a hurry....hopefully she wasn't to bee stings.

More on topic definitely a 2. And given that I fell asleep in a lot of lecture people rarely asked me for help, until they realized one was of the people in the class skewing the curve higher. And when they asked for help I would help them.

I hope she wasn't to be stings too. That would be bad.

You forgot the SDN pre-med.

And the Reapplicant: This person has failed in their first attempt at the application process. Some have lost thousands of dollars in the process along with years of their life during undergrad. They are desperate and will stop at nothing to become a doctor. Some settle for D.O.

not srs

Was that one of your 15 activities on the AMCAS?

#3 all the way (Physics major)

#5, downloaded the acs study guide and gave it to around 20 people in my ochem class