PreMed student, failed calc2 twice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vcml333

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm new to SDN so I apologize for any formatting errors of this lengthy post. Additionally, thank you for taking the time to give your input on this post.
My current situation is kind of tricky:
I began college as a Chemistry major (with no intention of going premed) at a Cal State school. I did generally well in the first semester: B+ in Gen Chem 1 and an A in the lab, and A's in both of my general education classes. I made the dean's list that semester.
In the spring, I took gen chem 2 and received a C+, (did not take the lab because at the time I didn't think I needed it), a B in Calc 1, a B in bio 1, and an A in one of the GE classes I was taking.
That summer, I took calc 2 at a local CC and due to an illness, got behind, couldn't keep up, and failed. (At the time I didn't know I could get a medical withdrawal...) At that point, I was still not considering premed. However, I was considering transferring to a more prestigious UC. After researching, I knew I would have the highest chance of getting into a UC if I transferred as a CC student. So, for the Fall semester, I enrolled as a CC, still as a chem major, and continued my education with the following classes: Organic Chem 1 w/lab and received a B, Physics 1 with an A, and...calc 2 ..with another F. Not cool. It was during that spring semester that I realized I had a passion to go PreMed, and decided to pursue it. I changed my major to biological anthropology with a potential chem minor to better my chances of improving my gpa. I knew about undergrad grade replacement, but at the time I did not know that medical schools did NOT account for grade replacement. So that has left me kind of bummed. I do plan on retaking it for the third and final time, changing my study habits, and quitting my job. My only reason of explanation for the second failure I have is that I am working full time, babysitting a special needs child, and volunteering at a local hospital.
I guess I am writing to see if anyone has failed Calc 2 twice and still got into a med school? I understand that post-bacc may be necessary at this point. But if I can manage to bring up my GPA (lots more IGETC requirements to go(aka: easy A's), plus all my upper division) and keep an upward trend in my grades, is having failed calc 2 twice gonna ruin any chance I have?
Thanks again for all your input, and I apologize for the lengthy post!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that you need to take a good hard look at your path because unless you make some drastic chances into your learning, all I see is a B student who is having trouble with difficult coursework.

DO schools use grade replacement. But you really need to start acing things, or the furnace of med school will melt you like an icicle on a Baja beach.

I think that you need to take a good hard look at your path because unless you make some drastic chances into your learning, all I see is a B student who is having trouble with difficult coursework.

DO schools use grade replacement. But you really need to start acing things, or the furnace of med school will melt you like an icicle on a Baja beach.
Thanks for your input! Would you happen to know about post-bacc? Would that help in this kind of a situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's look at your science GPA:

Gen Chem 1 3. 34 (3)
Gen Chem lab 4.0 (1)
gen chem 2 2.68 (3)
Calc 1, 3.0 (3)
bio 1, 3.0 (3)
Calc 2 0.0 (3)
Calc 2 0.0 (3)
O-Chem I 3.0 (4)
Physics I 4.0 (3)

estimating the number of units of credit (shown in parethesis) and the grade points associated with each letter grade, I get a science GPA of 2.46 over 26 units. You have another semester of o-chem and physics but as time goes on, it is harder to move a GPA. Even if those two failed attempts at calc 2 were eliminated from your GPA you would have only a 3.2 science GPA which is a non-starter for medical school.

Given your performance in pre-med classes, you don't appear to have the aptitude for natural sciences.

You could plan on a post-bac, use grade replacement and apply to osteopathic schools but I would recommend that only if you are sure that your problem is related to effort and study skills and not talent or knowledge base (e.g. do you need remediation of HS material?)

Reactions: 1 users