Premed--what Should I Do?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omar06

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
?

Members don't see this ad.

If you work your arse off from now on and apply senior year, you can boost your GPA significantly. If you do that and do reasonably well on the MCAT, you can get into a allopathic program.

I would strive for a 3.5 science gpa. If you can get it with the sciences classes that are left, then that is awesome. If not then maybe you should retake some classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can definitely bring that GPA up... I made several unfortunate C's in premed classes and my GPA after 1st semester soph year was even lower than yours... by a lot. But I made high grades in pretty much the rest of my science classes and GPA was decent by the end of graduation. I didn't apply right after college though, because I needed my senior year grades to count when I applied, so you may possibly need to think about taking a year off, but I don't think you need to worry about that yet, at this point. My MCAT is nothing exciting either... but I have interviewed at 3 schools in TX thus far.

I'm sure you can bring up your grades if you work hard and good luck!

Lilstina,

Thanks for the info. If you dont mind, may i ask about ur stats and what schools you interviewed.

omar06

Omar,

I'll PM you, check in a few mins.

You could find another career to pursue! ... No I'm kidding, that was mean. A few C's don't matter one term, if you get them next term also, you could be strewed. Med schools look at grade trends also, so if you do better throughout the future, it will demonstrate you weren't at you peak that one term, just finding what works for you.

One more thing, stay away from the "I had a hardship". I mean seriously, what do you think you're getting into. You have to figure out what wasn't working for you. Those are hard courses, probably some of the hardest you have attempted to far. Maybe you should consider taking fewer difficult course at the same time, or clearing out the debris in your life that may be diverting your attention in the wrong areas. Trust me, after finishing the first term of medical school, I can honestly say it only gets harder, much harder. You don't want to just make it in under the cutt off line and then fail when you get in, yes people do fail, all the time, I know multiple people in my class that are repeating.

Your school won't really make that much difference. The only medical school that honestly care are the ones that are close by and have first hand knowledge of your schools credibility. Most medical schools just consider you MCAT score as a indication of how your grades compare to other universities. So high grades, low scores, your school inflates grades, low grades, high scores, your school is difficult (or you have intapped wisdom waiting to be tapped, yeah right, dream on ... kidding again). You need to do just fine in both, or close enough. Around 27+ on the MCAT, 30 to be even slightly competitive at competitive med schoools, and above 3.4 gpa, a again higher is really better, your just "acceptable" with those lower scores.

Good luck!

You could find another career to pursue! ... No I'm kidding, that was mean. A few C's don't matter one term, if you get them next term also, you could be strewed. Med schools look at grade trends also, so if you do better throughout the future, it will demonstrate you weren't at you peak that one term, just finding what works for you.

One more thing, stay away from the "I had a hardship". I mean seriously, what do you think you're getting into. You have to figure out what wasn't working for you. Those are hard courses, probably some of the hardest you have attempted to far. Maybe you should consider taking fewer difficult course at the same time, or clearing out the debris in your life that may be diverting your attention in the wrong areas. Trust me, after finishing the first term of medical school, I can honestly say it only gets harder, much harder. You don't want to just make it in under the cutt off line and then fail when you get in, yes people do fail, all the time, I know multiple people in my class that are repeating.

Your school won't really make that much difference. The only medical school that honestly care are the ones that are close by and have first hand knowledge of your schools credibility. Most medical schools just consider you MCAT score as a indication of how your grades compare to other universities. So high grades, low scores, your school inflates grades, low grades, high scores, your school is difficult (or you have intapped wisdom waiting to be tapped, yeah right, dream on ... kidding again). You need to do just fine in both, or close enough. Around 27+ on the MCAT, 30 to be even slightly competitive at competitive med schoools, and above 3.4 gpa, a again higher is really better, your just "acceptable" with those lower scores.

Good luck!

^^^+pad+

sorry, couldn't resist.

edit: i know it was probably just an honest mistake where the button was pressed twice, at least that's what i'm hoping. :laugh:

Originally posted by exmike
I found your MCAT rather titillating

a thread is always a good one when the word "titillating" is used. excellent job mike.

I have 3 C's so far all in the sciences: Gen Chem 2, Ochem 1, Physics 1

hope u didnt take all of these courses in one semester. ouch!!!
+pissed+

Originally posted by Pinkertinkle
If you work your arse off from now on and apply senior year, you can boost your GPA significantly. If you do that and do reasonably well on the MCAT, you can get into a allopathic program.

angela's ashes. i read it too :rolleyes:

Originally posted by omar06
...I did have a hardship in which my father had 2 leave the country to take of his mother back home in asia...I had to look over his business, which would be an hour commute from my dorm to business every other day...

The situation may look not so promising right now but if you improve your grades, you can turn this into a heroic tale of personal growth and development! You can spin this into a beautiful personal statement, which will blow the adcoms away.