This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rose99924@

Reaction score
Hello,
I just graduated from college and I’m too late for all of this. I have a couple of ECs, shadowing but that was virtually because of the pandemic, one research opportunity (not relate to humans per se) one leadership role, TA for science classes over a semester; not enough . I’m working right now part time in a new job which is my first job by the way and I’m trying to study for the MCAT which Im registered to take in April and I think I might push it back as I feel like I’m not ready but I will see how I am in February. I have zero clinical experience and my gpa is 3.8. Honestly, I shouldn’t even think about applying this cycle, besides not having anything I’m really struggling with my mental health. But I don’t know how to fix any of this. My job for now is letting me have time to study but at the same time I won’t have any clinical hours if I stay there.
I’m not sure if I should just study, take the MCAT, wait until I have a year in the job but that would be around July, then find another job that I can gain clinic hours. I can also try to get a certification for EMT while I’m working.
Take this year, build the aspects of my application. Then apply for the 2025 cycle.
What do you guys think? I’m really demotivated right now, it just feel like I’m never going to do it.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Get your mental health in order first. Med school is a furnace and can break even healthy students.
2) Volunteer or work in a clinical setting.
3) Use that to find a doctor(s) to shadow. Scribing combines both 2 and 3.
4) Engage in service to others less fortunate than yourself in a nonclinical venue.
Take the MCAT only when you're 100% ready.
Don't bother with the EMT cert unless you're planning on using it.

Reactions: 6 users
Take a breath and rest easy knowing none of the above has to happen tomorrow. If I were in your shoes, was fresh out of college and had most of my twenties in front of me, I would keep the job you currently have.

Take some time to make sure you're taking all necessary steps to keep your mind and body healthy. Once you're in a good spot, trickle in some volunteer opportunities. Choosing one's career is a significant decision that holds weight. Use this extra year to seek out opportunities that might signal to you that medicine is a good choice-- volunteer in the ER/ICU at a local hospital, shadow some primary care physicians, build some relationships, ask a bunch of questions.

If the content is fresh and you're feeling good about the MCAT come February, go crush that thing. If not, just cancel it and schedule it when the other things are in order. To echo Goro, you only want to take it once. If you're not ready, you're not ready. No big deal.

No to EMT 'just because.' Better to find something within healthcare that you actually enjoy and can engage in semi-frequently without losing your will to live.

Now, close the books and go get a good night's rest.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First, accept that you will not be ready to apply before May/June 2025.

Now take a breath. Cancel the MCAT -- you don't need that pressure right now.

Get yourself a clinical job and or clinical volunteering. As @Goro mentioned, use that foot in the door to find someone to shadow in person. You need that before you commit to 7+ years of your life and thousands of dollars (hundreds of thousands) devoted to a career you know little about.

Volunteer in your community to help those in need. This can be eye-opening if you have been in your bubble until now and interaction only with people who are like yourself.

Med school is not going anywhere and it is best to do it right and do it only once.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
All of the above. Adding...

With no clinical experience, why do you want to go into health care? How do you know this would be what you want to do?

Focus on your job. I don't know if you have ever worked full-time, but you need to know how to excel with less than optimal work colleagues or managers. You need to learn to work and not be on your phone or earbuds. Work as a professional. While it's nice they may be giving you time to study, they have as much loyalty to you as you show loyalty to them. You could be the first to go if you don't work to expectations. Then where will you be on mental health and wellness?

It sounds like you never used your career services office to develop a career plan. I don't know if you asked for a similar plan from your prehealth advisors. I hope you still have access to their help now that you graduated.

I don't know what you did while a student when it comes to clubs. You sound like you didn't do anything but study, and I presume you did more. What did your premed peers do?

I agree it's too early to take the MCAT. Your top priority is getting clinical insights to the lives of physicians and see if your can handle that stress. Compare to PAs, EMTs, nurses, or other health care providers. Know that you are willing to spend thousands on your application as you work to save enough money to apply.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users