Premeds and sexual orientation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How do you identify your sexual orientation? (ANONYMOUS)

• 7 - Exclusively gay

Votes: 29 7.1%
  • 6 - Nearly exclusively gay

Votes: 14 3.4%
  • 5 - More gay than straight (60/40ish)

Votes: 9 2.2%
  • 4 - Equally gay and straight

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 3 - More straight than gay (60/40ish)

Votes: 19 4.6%
  • 2 - Nearly exclusively straight

Votes: 60 14.7%
  • 1 - Exclusively straight

Votes: 271 66.3%

• Total voters

Flopotomist

I love the Chicago USPS
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK.. since we are poll happy tonight, I'll try this one out... Note, above the poll it says this is ANONYMOUS.. so rest assured that nobody is going to see your answer.

Members don't see this ad.

hmmm.. maybe I should have broadened the scale - it is looking a bit lopsided lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
How can 11 people have voted, but the view count is 3? that makes no sense.

I think were poll happy tonight. Lets have another poll. Sick of polls? yes or no? :D

I didn't know there were so many options! If only 60/40 and "kinda gay" were as accepted socially as totally gay and totally straight...makes you wonder what peoples' real preferences would be. I think most straight guys view all options aside from number 1 as "gay". In ancient rome, however, there was no societal concept of "homosexual", or "heterosexual"...and it was common practice for "masculine" men to have "masculine" sex with other "masculine" men...."homo" is truly a post-christianity concept (Side note: I learned this in my philosophy class after an "Alexander" movie review titled "Alexander the Gay" graced a page of the LA times) Anyway, we are social creatures :D I'm 100% straight, by the way

flop, i think u went a little crazy with the choices, nearly exclusively straight, 60/40 straight haha :laugh:

letmein!please? said:
I'm 100% straight, by the way
Damn it! j/k :laugh: :laugh: From your name, it could go either way. :laugh: Then again, so could mine. :oops:

jtank said:
flop, i think u went a little crazy with the choices, nearly exclusively straight, 60/40 straight haha :laugh:
yeah.. it didn't work out as I had intended. There is this interesting phenomenon that queer people will be willing to identify as "mostly gay" or "not exclusively gay" more often than their straight counterparts will identify as "mostly straight" or "not exclusively straight."

I think it is interesting that some gay people can entertain the idea of a heterosexual encounter, but for many (most?) straight people, they do not entertain the idea of a homosexual encounter.

My original poll had 9 points with an "exclusively X , but have had 1-2 Y experiences" but I took it out choosing to focus on identity rather than experiences.

u know, i think most people chose exclusively straight bc everything else is so confusing, haha

jtank said:
u know, i think most people chose exclusively straight bc everything else is so confusing, haha
how would it have been less confusing? I tried hard to avoid an "experiential" poll, and focus on identity (especially after seeing that nearly a third of poll respondents are virgins!)

Flopotomist said:
how would it have been less confusing? I tried hard to avoid an "experiential" poll, and focus on identity (especially after seeing that nearly a third of poll respondents are virgins!)

ur right
dont mind me
im tipsy

or, you could have used the kinsey scale?
oh and did anyone see the movie "Kinsey"?

Members don't see this ad :)
anon-y-mouse said:
I wanted to invent my own scale. I mean, how cool would it be to have the "Floppy Sexuality Scale"... oh wait, floppy and sex together.. not a good combo.

anon-y-mouse said:

I did. I liked it, but it was a little long if I remember correctly. I like the part where he found out his book was last checked out of the library like 15 years ago. Hahaha

Did you watch Kinsey before you started this poll? ;)

SanDiegoSOD said:
Did you watch Kinsey before you started this poll? ;)
nope.. I watched the news.

Only one time in college?

Wow, maybe I checked off the wrong box.

Cartman: "Gay!"

Stan: "Totally gay!"

Kyle: "Liberace gay~!"

potato51 said:
Cartman: "Gay!"

Stan: "Totally gay!"

Kyle: "Liberace gay~!"
:laugh: :laugh:

interesting thread. i'm surprised by the number of people in the middle.
-mota

what about alcohol-catalyzed reactions... straight but will operate heavy equipment if under the influence :laugh:

DaMota said:
-mota
the numbers surprised me a bit too...

nimotsu said:
what about alcohol-catalyzed reactions... straight but will operate heavy equipment if under the influence :laugh:

:laugh:

awesome poll, it just lacks definition.
The question is about sexual orientation. With all these options on the poll, that makes you question what sexual orientation really is...is it encounters, attitudes, a combo of both?
In order to be completely straight, does that mean you need to have never ever ever ever thought about a girl/guy in "that way"? And to be 60/40, does that mean that in 6 out of 10 nights, you'd like to go home with one sex, and on the other 4, you'd rather have the other?
I guess it shows us ALL that we have a lot to learn about other peoples' sexual orientation...and our own...its not just a split (gay or not gay).

and I am asexual.

JayQuah said:
awesome poll, it just lacks definition.
The question is about sexual orientation. With all these options on the poll, that makes you question what sexual orientation really is...is it encounters, attitudes, a combo of both?
In order to be completely straight, does that mean you need to have never ever ever ever thought about a girl/guy in "that way"? And to be 60/40, does that mean that in 6 out of 10 nights, you'd like to go home with one sex, and on the other 4, you'd rather have the other?
I guess it shows us ALL that we have a lot to learn about other peoples' sexual orientation...and our own...its not just a split (gay or not gay).

and I am asexual.
I tried to clarify in a previous post that the poll was about identity, not experience. I mean, there are plenty of guys in prison having lots of sex with each other that identify as straight, and lots of gay guys that feel pressure to have sex with women.

In response to your statement that you are asexual, I am sure with a sharp new haircut, a new outfit, and a facial, you could change that! Queer eye for the asexual guy!

Flopotomist said:
In response to your statement that you are asexual, I am sure with a sharp new haircut, a new outfit, and a facial, you could change that! Queer eye for the asexual guy!

asexuality: it's not just for ameobas anymore.

DarkFark said:
asexuality: it's not just for ameobas anymore.

HAhaha :)

Seriously, though. I bet if you had made two polls, one for women, one for men, you would see a lot of women in the "almost exclusively staight" category. I think women probably are more willing to fess up to this. (Not to be crass, but it probably has something to do with the fact that such feelings do not equate having something inserted in their behinds.) Also I think women are less likely to feel threatened by occasionally appreciating the amazing looks of someone of the same sex, and fantasizing just a bit... even if they aren't really interested in taking it any farther than that.

On the other hand, maybe most of the women I know are just odd in this regard...

I'm actually surprised that the numbers are so lopsided. I really do think that everybody is somewhere on the spectrum, sort of a sliding scale sort of thing. I wonder if people really thought about themselves for a while, perhaps more wouldn't be somewhere in the middle. It's just not the way people typically think -- we have this idea that people are gay or straight, and then there are people who identify as bisexual, but I've even heard it suggested that they're just lying and they're really one or the other. I think that's ludicrous. Why shouldn't there be a spectrum? I mean, I'm exclusively heterosexual, that's just the way I am, but I remember once being very attracted to a girl and I didn't think much of it. And I know somebody who personally identifies as somewhere maybe 60/40 or 70/30 straight/gay but lives perfectly happily in an exclusively heterosexual relationship. Hey, variety is the spice of life, right? People come in all different types.

edit: I did want to mention that I read an article not too long ago about the new "asexual" movement of people who really identify themselves as asexual. I think it's odd and I have trouble believing there are really THAT many asexual people out there, but heck, who am I to judge? Interesting phenomenon, though.

Flopotomist said:
yeah.. it didn't work out as I had intended. There is this interesting phenomenon that queer people will be willing to identify as "mostly gay" or "not exclusively gay" more often than their straight counterparts will identify as "mostly straight" or "not exclusively straight."

I think it is interesting that some gay people can entertain the idea of a heterosexual encounter, but for many (most?) straight people, they do not entertain the idea of a homosexual encounter.
My original poll had 9 points with an "exclusively X , but have had 1-2 Y experiences" but I took it out choosing to focus on identity rather than experiences.
i don't find that strange at all

tigress said:
edit: I did want to mention that I read an article not too long ago about the new "asexual" movement of people who really identify themselves as asexual. I think it's odd and I have trouble believing there are really THAT many asexual people out there, but heck, who am I to judge? Interesting phenomenon, though.

What confuses me is why there needs to be a movement for asexuals. I mean, it's not like they have some major political cause to strive for, like, I dunno, asexual marriage. And somehow I doubt that asexuals face persecution. I mean, when's the last time someone was offended by a public display of asexual affection? And even if asexuals were persecuted, it'd be pretty damn easy to conceal asexuality- what, are they gonna catch you hanging out at the A-bar? (get it- an asexual bar!)

Still, I like their ameoba catchphrase.

Humans are genetically sexual though, aren't they? If a human identifies as asexual, he/she is:

1) nurture has won out over nature, i.e., they've made a conscious decision to suppress
2) genetically flawed (seems rare to me)

I don't find it very likely that someone is so completely repulsed by everyone and finds no one sexually attractive. That doesn't make any logical sense to me.

I think the issue with people identifying as "asexual" is that they are misusing their terminology. If someone is not interested in sex at the moment, it's not because they are asexual but because they have too many more important things going on at the moment.

It's in our species's genes to be sexual.

Deanmonster said:
This poll is gay.

:laugh: :laugh:

One more vote for the exclusively straight crowd...

(unless this participating in this thread counts as a "gay" experience) :confused:

Dallenoff said:
No way man. *gives BerkeleyMD a manly high five, grunts, and opens a 6-pack of bottles with his teeth*

Beer?

:laugh:

Dallenoff said:
No way man. *gives BerkeleyMD a manly high five, grunts, and opens a 6-pack of bottles with his teeth*

Beer?

you forgot about chuggin' it down then smashing the can's against your head!

Flopotomist said:

i actually don't think that's true, but then again i guess it depends on how you define "straight." i find that most "straight" women have fantasized about hooking up with other women (and have found various statistics, some in ridiculous magazines like cosmo, but some more legit, that support this). i think this is much more prevalent in females, whereas in men, i think it exists less frequently.

for some reason that statement pissed me off just because i thought it was really incorrect.

tigress said:
I wonder if people really thought about themselves for a while, perhaps more wouldn't be somewhere in the middle. It's just not the way people typically think -- we have this idea that people are gay or straight, and then there are people who identify as bisexual, but I've even heard it suggested that they're just lying and they're really one or the other. I think that's ludicrous. Why shouldn't there be a spectrum? I mean, I'm exclusively heterosexual, that's just the way I am, but I remember once being very attracted to a girl and I didn't think much of it.

SpeedRacer said:
i find that most "straight" women have fantasized about hooking up with other women (and have found various statistics, some in ridiculous magazines like cosmo, but some more legit, that support this). i think this is much more prevalent in females, whereas in men, i think it exists less frequently.

This is exactly what I was trying to get at. I think some definitions may be in order. How you live your life and classify yourself may be ignoring some fantasies or thoughts that you never act on (or even want to act on). Does that mean that they don't mean anything about your orientation? I have to agree with tigress in that I am exclusivly heterosexual, however, occasionally being attracted to a gorgeous woman makes me think that if for some reason all the other things that are important to me in a partner lined up, and she felt the same, I might need to review my classifications. Not to say that given the right circumstances this would happen, just that it might be a possibility at that point in time.

SpeedRacer said:
i actually don't think that's true, but then again i guess it depends on how you define "straight." i find that most "straight" women have fantasized about hooking up with other women (and have found various statistics, some in ridiculous magazines like cosmo, but some more legit, that support this). i think this is much more prevalent in females, whereas in men, i think it exists less frequently.

for some reason that statement pissed me off just because i thought it was really incorrect.

My freshman psych professor decided that a good topic for the first lecture, among other things, would be homosexuality. It was certainly memorable. He mentioned that a study (a scientific one, not some magazine reader poll or something) found that almost 40% of men who were college age (18-22) reported that they had one or more sexual experiences with another male. Sex being defined as stimulation "to orgasm". That doesn't make them actually homosexual of course, but that definitely shattered some pre-conceptions of mine and the rest of the class too for that matter. I don't think he had a figure for women though.

tacrum43 said:
My freshman psych professor decided that a good topic for the first lecture, among other things, would be homosexuality. It was certainly memorable. He mentioned that a study (a scientific one, not some magazine reader poll or something) found that almost 40% of men who were college age (18-22) reported that they had one or more sexual experiences with another male. Sex being defined as stimulation "to orgasm". That doesn't make them actually homosexual of course, but that definitely shattered some pre-conceptions of mine and the rest of the class too for that matter. I don't think he had a figure for women though.

I think that again, we have to be careful to distinguish whether we are talking about identity or experience. Although I suppose it is reassuring to that 40% that they are not freaks just because they tried something different.

Flopotomist said:
I think that again, we have to be careful to distinguish whether we are talking about identity or experience.

I thought I did make that distinction when I said: "that doesn't make them actually homosexual of course" (for having a homosexual experience). :confused:

tacrum43 said:
I thought I did make that distinction when I said: "that doesn't make them actually homosexual of course" (for having a homosexual experience). :confused:
sorry.. I was trying to reinforce what you said, not disagree.

Flopotomist said:
sorry.. I was trying to reinforce what you said, not disagree.

Oh, okay then. :thumbup:

DaMota said:
I suspect that more of the ones in the middle are female, while males are probably mostly one end of the spectrum or the other (with a few males in the middle).

I am quite straight. I can appreciate a good-looking male when I see one, and I know a few, but my desires are solely for the female gender.

Flopotomist said:
I think it's because it's more prevalent. The vast majority of people have a heterosexual experience, so even if you're not interested/less interested in a heterosexual experience, it's going to be easier to have one (I would think). And besides, the gays that I've talked to have often tried to repress their desires for men, so they'd date women even though they didn't really want to, but because they thought it would uphold the social norms.

TheProwler said:
I suspect that more of the ones in the middle are female, while males are probably mostly one end of the spectrum or the other (with a few males in the middle).

This is what I would expect, as well; nearly 100% of the str8 guys I know like to identify as exclusively str8; (Er...not at all attracted to other guys, even a little bit....at all....really, man! Not ever!!!) But many of my str8 female friends fess up to curiosity and/or the occasional actual interest. Seems like str8 men have more to lose.? But this really just accounts for trends in *responses* to questions about identity. Given my life experiences, I tend to think that the guys are just as bent as the ladies, but are not permitted to express even a little curiosity or need in that direction.

Personally, I identify as gay, but I am willing to sleep with women, as long as they are hot & there are no strings attached. However, this almost NEVER happens. When my girlfriends suggest that it's too bad that I wouldn't sleep with them, I usually call them on it. The issue *usually* gets dropped. :laugh: Assuming beauty & skill, sex is pretty fun, no matter who it is with. This is why I am o.k. with girls. Emotional connections improve the experience, however, and since I don't really find emotional/romantic satisfaction with grls, I have a male partner.

TheProwler said:
I am quite straight. I can appreciate a good-looking male when I see one, and I know a few, but my desires are solely for the female gender.
This is typical of the st8-identifying male in America. See above discussion. However, since you know your desires better than anyone else, I am not trying to pick on you or to imply that you aren't actually str8. This is meant to be a fun thread. (or if it isn't *meant* to be, it *is* a fun thread).