Premeds are douchebags

Started by Cerberus
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Originally posted by jlee9531
hence the reason i had virtually no premed friends to turn to really outside of sdn when i had questions about applications....i just stayed away from them at school.

God, so true.
 
I never got the point of comparing yourself to everyone else. If you make an A in a class, what difference does it make what everyone else got?
 
This becomes the "bitching" thread against pre-meds 😀

I thought that things would get better in med school, but from what I read in the Allo forum...it doesn't seem to be the case.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Originally posted by CalBeE

I thought that things would get better in med school, but from what I read in the Allo forum...it doesn't seem to be the case.

I think whether this attitude continues is largely dependent on where you end up going to medical schools. Some are DEFINITELY more laid back than others. I think having Pass/Fail grading is one way many schools encourage cooperativeness over competitiveness. I know the nature of the student body was a big factor in my decision of where to go, and I am optimistic that things will in fact "get better in med school."
 
Originally posted by Trekkie963
I think whether this attitude continues is largely dependent on where you end up going to medical schools. Some are DEFINITELY more laid back than others. I think having Pass/Fail grading is one way many schools encourage cooperativeness over competitiveness. I know the nature of the student body was a big factor in my decision of where to go, and I am optimistic that things will in fact "get better in med school."

Supposedly, even in a P/F school, people will be more motivated to do outside stuff like research, shadowings, etc. to build up their resume and stand out from others. So P/F may sorta reduce competition in the classroom, but not so outside of it.
 
Originally posted by CalBeE
Supposedly, even in a P/F school, people will be more motivated to do outside stuff like research, shadowings, etc. to build up their resume and stand out from others. So P/F may sorta reduce competition in the classroom, but not so outside of it.

That sounds logical to me, and if that's the case, I welcome it. I love doing medically-related stuff outside the classroom. Does that really make much of a difference in residency matching, though? I had a ton of really great extracurricular activities in undergrad, but for the most part they don't seem to have affected my admissions too much (I was always told stuff along the line of "your extracurricular activities are amazing, but if someone has higher numbers and nearly as great EC's, they'll get in over you.")