You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Premeds - take chemistry more seriously
Started by Teleologist
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I've had it before for much less trivial things. But my prior edited post had post-hold written all over it.Careful man, the mods will give you probationary status for being mean to him, like they did me
I'm just repeating myself, but Dichloromethane, also known as Methylene Chloride, has only one carbon. There is no double bond. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichloromethanehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylene_group
Here let me jog your memory on that.
View attachment 187133
That is why Dichloromethane is more commonly used since the Methylene is misleading.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To be fair that's the whole point of the post. Girl gets DCM in eye, goes to doctor. Doctor's question is whether the compound is acidic or basic. Ergo doctor doesn't remember jack about chemistry.Do you know what constitutes a molecule being an acid or a base??? You keep asking whether this molecule is an acid or a base and it's neither..
Though I entirely and wholeheartedly agree with your tone as I'm not convinced the OP understood that to be the problem in the first place since he's concerned with performing titrations on neutral compounds in someone's eye, a la
"I swore that CH2Cl2 was a base!!! And so I doused him with sulfuric acid to neutralize the base! But now he's missing a cornea!"
@Teleologist , premeds should take communications more seriously as well. Otherwise they look like blathering idiots who are so "knowledgeable" that they can TA gen chem courses from atop their high horses and convince an entire thread of people to hate their guts all within the first page of the thread.
Man, you people are all going to get probation !!1!1 Be nice to OP !!1
To be fair that's the whole point of the post. Girl gets DCM in eye, goes to doctor. Doctor's question is whether the compound is acidic or basic. Ergo doctor doesn't remember jack about chemistry.
Though I entirely and wholeheartedly agree with your tone as I'm not convinced the OP understood that to be the problem in the first place since he's concerned with performing titrations on neutral compounds in someone's eye, a la
@Teleologist , premeds should take communications more seriously as well. Otherwise they look like blathering idiots who are so "knowledgeable" that they can TA gen chem courses from atop their high horses and convince an entire thread of people to hate their guts all within the first page of the thread.
That makes so much more sense. Thank you for clarifying.
I have a PhD in medicinal chemistry, but I'll admit that I have found very little use for my mad chem skills in clinical medicine.
In all honesty, the vast majority of people using very dangerous chemicals (HF, sodium borohydride, raw metal catalysts, concentrated sulfuric acid, etc) know exactly what to do should they be doused. I used to have a friend stand next to me with a jar of base for certain reactions just in case something went wrong. And when things did go sideways, most of us ran to the eyewash rather than the ED. As far as I'm concerned, if someone comes to the ED and their skin isn't actively peeling/bubbling off, no one is even going to consider throwing another chemical on them. They will give them fluids, watch their labs, and adjust electrolytes/etc as necessary, things any trained physician is capable of doing.
When is in-depth chemistry knowledge actually useful? It can help when a patient comes in with a toxic ingestion of something and you're trying to figure out what it is. Or when patient has a strange fibrotic lung disease or an unusual presentation of cancer. But…if there isn't literature on it, no one if going to take your chemistry theories very seriously. More than likely the diagnosis will be something generalized like "lung disease secondary to chemical exposure".
In all honesty, the vast majority of people using very dangerous chemicals (HF, sodium borohydride, raw metal catalysts, concentrated sulfuric acid, etc) know exactly what to do should they be doused. I used to have a friend stand next to me with a jar of base for certain reactions just in case something went wrong. And when things did go sideways, most of us ran to the eyewash rather than the ED. As far as I'm concerned, if someone comes to the ED and their skin isn't actively peeling/bubbling off, no one is even going to consider throwing another chemical on them. They will give them fluids, watch their labs, and adjust electrolytes/etc as necessary, things any trained physician is capable of doing.
When is in-depth chemistry knowledge actually useful? It can help when a patient comes in with a toxic ingestion of something and you're trying to figure out what it is. Or when patient has a strange fibrotic lung disease or an unusual presentation of cancer. But…if there isn't literature on it, no one if going to take your chemistry theories very seriously. More than likely the diagnosis will be something generalized like "lung disease secondary to chemical exposure".
D
deleted380953
You sound like you sure know your chemistry. That's actually really awesome, because there's something that I've been trying to understand about ammonia for a while.
I never quite understood how to express the tunneling effect that allows the ammonia molecule to switch between the two states in the form of a solvable Hamiltonian. Could you show me how to derive the eigenvalues of the bra-ket vector that expresses those states so that both eigenstates are formulated (Could you remind me if it's just a basic matrix transformation or a determinant that is needed? I just can't remember)?
Thanks! I'm sure you'll know this from the top of your head.
Determinant, right? 😀
been a few years since quantum
That was my thought as well. I imagine you'd utilize the secular (characteristic) equation to determine the eigenvalues.Determinant, right? 😀
been a few years since quantum
D
deleted380953
That was my thought as well. I imagine you'd utilize the secular (characteristic) equation to determine the eigenvalues.
Yep, its apparently in a Feynman lecture where he uses the diagonalization of the hamiltonian matrix equal to 0
Oh no, I'm letting physics forums leak in..
He didnt get itThis is entirely uncalled for. I was trying to be nice/funny with a joke.
You sound like you sure know your chemistry. That's actually really awesome, because there's something that I've been trying to understand about ammonia for a while.
I never quite understood how to express the tunneling effect that allows the ammonia molecule to switch between the two states in the form of a solvable Hamiltonian. Could you show me how to derive the eigenvalues of the bra-ket vector that expresses those states so that both eigenstates are formulated (Could you remind me if it's just a basic matrix transformation or a determinant that is needed? I just can't remember)?
Thanks! I'm sure you'll know this from the top of your head.
i feel smart that i actually have a reasonable idea of what you're talking about. unfortunately, i cant provide a solution to this. <H/psi> = <E/psi> psi is the wave function. something along those lines, right? did you make this question up?
You could've thought of a million trillion things more clinically relevant than chemistry. Almost completely useless.
I agree. A researcher at UCLA died after she squirted some t-butyllithium from a syringe into open air or something like that. No matter what the carbon-based salt was, I can't imagine that ending well; highly exothermic proton abstraction from whatever moisture in the air combined with the creation of a nice, combustible hydrocarbon and the presence of a nice hydrocarbon solvent for the t-buLi .... probably created a fireball instantly. Her sweater caught on fire and she died.
I was actually doing a similar reaction to the one she was doing one day in the research lab I worked in. The post doc I worked under told me this story about the UCLA researcher...literally as I was drawing up a syringe full of t-butyl lithium. I just wondered why he couldn't have mentioned that 5 mins prior...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It was more just a test to see if OP could provide the quantum basis for the MASER, which you seem to have be on the right track for. The actual answers are pretty trivial.i feel smart that i actually have a reasonable idea of what you're talking about. unfortunately, i cant provide a solution to this. <H/psi> = <E/psi> psi is the wave function. something along those lines, right? did you make this question up?
I'm just repeating myself, but Dichloromethane, also known as Methylene Chloride, has only one carbon. There is no double bond. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichloromethane
That is why Dichloromethane is more commonly used since the Methylene is misleading.
Is the double bond in blue in the picture I showed you?
No.
Therefore methylene doesn't imply presence of a double bond.
Err yeah, you're right.Is the double bond in blue in the picture I showed you?
No.
Therefore methylene doesn't imply presence of a double bond.
![]()
But can we let this thread die already. : P
Whether you guys are joking or not there have been complaints about the insults in this thread. Keep it civil and professional or I'll close the thread.
You really expect people to keep this ridiculous thread civil? Either close it or allow people to speak their minds. There's no intellectual discourse to be had here.
You put water in the eye to neutralize it. Not acid. Not base. Continue putting water in it until pH is 7.4. Appearance of the eye will probably tell me if it was acid or base. Base does more damage, causes liquefactive necrosis.
This. Like the wise Carlos Pestana, MD, once said: "Do not 'play chemist' and attempt to neutralize the agent."
The reason why you shouldn't try to neutralize an acid with a base or vice-versa is because neutralization reactions are always exothermic, and thus you can potentially make a burn even worse.
Last edited:
This. Like the wise Carlos Pestana, MD, once said: "Do not 'play chemist' and attempt to neutralize the agent."
The reason why you shouldn't try to neutralize an acid with a base or vice-versa is because neutralization reactions are always exothermic, and thus you can potentially make a burn even worse.
literally one of the only posts in this thread worth anything.
Just by hanging out in the MCAT forum one witnesses almost hourly what little chemistry that many premeds know.
Here's one reason to learn chemistry:
http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2009/05/14/tms_diazomethane_update_on_a_fatality.php#396800
I bet 20 dollars that half the people here don't even know whether methylene chloride (I named it without having to Google it either) is an acid or a base. Methylene because it possesses the methylene radical, -CH2, and chloride, because, well, Cl.
In all seriousness, many premeds don't take chemistry seriously. At least in my experience. What about yours? Do you take chemistry seriously?
I don't remember 99% of general/organic chemistry now.....I know organic has the hexagons and ****, and chem lab is where you mix things in a beaker, it doesn't make anything, and you write a lab report on how much you sucked at it.
...well you are in the pre-allo forum...What is this? Is this thread for real?
In my recombinant DNA lab I put sodium acetate into ethanol waste in a beaker..voila a mini eruption...it was terrible and I almost had to sing because of it (our TA makes us sing karaoke style in front of the class if we screw up) but luckily she was talking to someone else!
Yeah, like whatever happened to rinsing with water?This. Like the wise Carlos Pestana, MD, once said: "Do not 'play chemist' and attempt to neutralize the agent."
The reason why you shouldn't try to neutralize an acid with a base or vice-versa is because neutralization reactions are always exothermic, and thus you can potentially make a burn even worse.
Ok
1) IUPAC naming for this is "dichloromethane" not "methylene chloride" you pretentious prick.
2) It isn't strongly acidic or basic, the danger it poses is due to metabolism into CO and/or carcinogenic properties. You are a pretentious prick.
3) Seriously in all seriousness, you are a prick. A pretentious one, too.
this is the best post I think ive ever read on sdn.
Is the double bond in blue in the picture I showed you?
No.
Therefore methylene doesn't imply presence of a double bond.
![]()
While you're using a picture from wikipedia, you might as well quote the first line: "In organic chemistry, a methylene group is any part of a molecule that consists of two hydrogen atoms bound to a carbon atom, which is connected to the remainder of the molecule by a double bond. "
But I guess it's all semantics. Happy Monday! 🙂
Now I understand why people in the allo forum get annoyed when premeds post there...
Last edited:
Semi-necro, but I just had to add my voice to the chorus of "you are a raging dick". Your tone of condescension for something that is so far removed from clinical medicine exemplifies the very worst of premed arrogance. Also, your credentials of gen chem TA and "I can answer every gen chem question on the MCAT sub forum" that you consider as a soap box to talk down to your peers is laughable.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad