Premier Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DirtDocMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I’d likely get the “usual answers”, and I’ve had my share of dealing with AMC’s (unfortunately), but was just wondering if anyone (or their friends/associates) has dealt with these guys in any way? I’ve seen some job postings in relatively desirable areas on Gaswork that seem to never get filled. Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

I did some locums with them in the past. Basically they short-staff places with minimal md's-> supervise crnas. I did get them to pay a lot of OT though :) That was locums though.

I’ve done locums for them in the past. I didn’t have any problems although the pay was very low.

Thier model is to take over practices without buying out the old practice. As you could imagine the hold over MDs aren’t particularly happy with that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve done locums for them in the past. I didn’t have any problems although the pay was very low.

Thier model is to take over practices without buying out the old practice. As you could imagine the hold over MDs aren’t particularly happy with that.

Figured they were just a “garden variety” AMC. Sounds about right. Seen plenty of them worm their way in with promises of low prices, “better metrics”, and “improved responsiveness and efficiency” (read: we’ll work our Docs into the ground, and fire them if they dare offend any surgeons/admin).

A real pity the ASA hasn’t done more to protect Docs, or state assn’s haven’t done more regarding “corporate practice of medicine”.

The other issue I’ve seen is that these large corporations are much more successful at negotiating better payer rates than small groups/private guys can. Any advice for some of us small private group guys on bumping these up?? Does it help if another practice in the same community has been taken over by a large AMC?? Does that drive up the “prevailing rate” in the area, or do the little guys still get the shaft??

It’s hard for a “subsidized” small group to compete with an AMC, even if staffing/salaries are almost identical, when a large AMC can negotiate much larger payments from the private insurers...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You will likely have a high supervision ratio with a revolving door of CRNAs you know nothing about. I would only agree to a max supervision ratio *in writing* and don’t deviate from it. There are some scary CRNAs out there, you don’t want to be the fall guy for their eff ups.

Reactions: 1 user
When dealing with an AMC, always ask for a locum/temp position first (most of the shady ones will refuse). They and their recruiters LIE about a lot of things, while their contracts are neverending (we have a million rights, you have none); there is a reason many are at the bottom of the garbage pile.

Reactions: 1 users