COMLEX Prep Bare Minimum to Pass?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DopaDO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I will be doing a prelim medicine year before my real residency starts and would like to get this stupid test out the way. I just want to pass. I want to study and learn as little as possible. What is typical suggested prep time and what resources are used? I'm pretty out of the game and while I'd like to just take it cold turkey, I think I probably would not pass if I did that. I did well on Steps and COMLEX to this point (240's and 600's)

I assume Saverese and COMBANK? Can't wait to be done with this headache. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a slow reader and test taker, so i am planning on using saverese and COMQUEST. I think my content knowledge is ok. I was wondering how much intern year will help with the new additions (CCS) component of the exam. I just want to pass it so I can move on to my specialty specific stuff (psych).

Hello everyone.

I will be doing a prelim medicine year before my real residency starts and would like to get this stupid test out the way. I just want to pass. I want to study and learn as little as possible. What is typical suggested prep time and what resources are used? I'm pretty out of the game and while I'd like to just take it cold turkey, I think I probably would not pass if I did that. I did well on Steps and COMLEX to this point (240's and 600's)

I assume Saverese and COMBANK? Can't wait to be done with this headache. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

I just took it earlier this year. Looking back, bare minimum would be reading Savarese the day before. You don't really need more than that.

I just took it earlier this year. Looking back, bare minimum would be reading Savarese the day before. You don't really need more than that.

I think I'll need to hit that one up. I never had the courage to fully read Saverse. I had to skip through it for level 1 thorugh DIT's videos, I think OMM is just hard for me to conceptualize treatment wise.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I'll need to hit that one up. I never had the courage to fully read Saverse. I had to skip through it for level 1 thorugh DIT's videos, I think OMM is just hard for me to conceptualize treatment wise.

what is your study method as of now?

Honestly, the best thing I do, is use the Made Ridiculously Simple Books- and color code them and then make note cards from the sections. Best thing I've ever done (study wise)

Just took it.

Honestly, ~1 week is the amount of time I'd say is the minimum to allow for a comfortable pass. I started studying during an ICU month with overnight call and consequently crammed most of my studying into less than a week's time (5 days really). Got through 90% of COMBANK in that period and refreshed my memory on peds, OB and surgery with Boards and Wards and FA for step 3. It all comes back pretty quickly, especially if all you're looking for is a pass.

I would not advise totally winging it as a lot of the peds/OB/surg/etc may not be fresh in your brain if it's been a while.