Prep courses for the MCAT

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MBK, Mar 14, 2001.

1. MBK

MBK Junior Member

What undergrad courses do you suggest I have "under my belt" before I take the MCAT?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Although the MCAT tests general chemistry, physics, biology and organic chemistry any additional upper-level courses in the sciences couldn't hurt you. You shouldn't attempt the MCAT if you haven't at least taken a practice test or two to see if you have the necessary baseline knowledge. Practice tests are available from many sources. You can see some sample questions in the MCAT announcement available at http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/registration.htm
    and then you can purchase sample tests from Kaplan, Princeton Review, Columbia, Peterson's, AAMC, REA, and other companies. AAMC provides actual previously administered MCATs.

4. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    MUST have courses:
    Biology (with lab), Chemistry (with lab), Organic Chemistry (with lab), Calculus, Physics (with lab)

GOOD courses to have:
    Microbiology, Genetics

GREAT courses to have:
    Biochemistry, Anatomy, Physiology

I would also add to the list some sort of MCAT prep course: Princeton Review or Kaplan, for instance.

The resources these courses provide is invaluable. Some say they are a waste of money and that a person could do just as well alone (which very well may be true), but for me, it pushes me to study and work.

If you look at the MCAT as just a bunch of multiple choice questions, you're setting yourself up for a big dissapointment. I used to be really good at filling in bubbles...now they haunt me at night!

Best of luck to you!

------------------
    Joshua Paul Hazelton
    [email protected]
    University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)