prep for internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AndyDufrane

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know people say 4th year med student in the latter half of the year should just chill, which I have no problem doing, but are their practical things I could spend a little time doing now that might ease next year, should I peruse the pocket Washington Manual, read some high yield review articless on common medical problems, etc. btw I will hopefully be in a prelim IM or TY program next year.thanks for any input

Members don't see this ad.

Not having been there myself, I can't give advice from a "been there, done that" perspective. However, I will tell you what advice I have been given, and what I am doing. One (and only 1) program director talked to me about reading a little before the start, so I am reading a few pages 1x/week, starting this week up until probably May, in a text book that is a little more than you would need for the clerkship, but not quite a big thick text. I am just doing this to refresh my memory, because almost my entire 4th year has been a chill out time, and I don't want to forget everything (already have forgotten stuff since step 2) and be a big idiot on day 1, so that's my little paranoid fear. I may also (if I can really get motivated) look at some surgical instrument flash cards (ob) so that I can feel a little more prepared should i start with an OR rotation first.
Lastly, I'm reviewing my Spanish, and this is probably the most worthwhile of all that other stuff, cause I want to be able to communicate fluently with my patients.
I wouldn't stress about it, but if you've been chillin' like me (since October) then maybe it wouldn't hurt to make sure you remember how to give IV fluids or something. If you've been working hard all year, then I say relax! But again, I don't have experience. Hopefully you'll get some advice from people who actually know what they're talking about.

Get a good NON-MEDICAL book, a six-pack, and find a nice beach to enjoy them on.

My personal favorites were/are The Economist, ESPN the Magazine, and the Wall Street Journal.

Seriously, I did read through the Washington Manual cover to cover twice during June. It helped that I knew that I was starting out in the ICU (and thus, had the fear of God placed in me).

I know people say 4th year med student in the latter half of the year should just chill, which I have no problem doing, but are their practical things I could spend a little time doing now that might ease next year, should I peruse the pocket Washington Manual, read some high yield review articless on common medical problems, etc. btw I will hopefully be in a prelim IM or TY program next year.thanks for any input

If chilling is out of the question, how about doing an elective like this one at UMass?

http://www.umassmed.edu/studentaffairs/electives/other/xx_456.aspx

My personal favorites were/are The Economist, ESPN the Magazine, and the Wall Street Journal.

Seriously, I did read through the Washington Manual cover to cover twice during June. It helped that I knew that I was starting out in the ICU (and thus, had the fear of God placed in me).

The Economist is a fantastic magazine. Also like The New Yorker. Thumbs up on Washington Manual as well if you're bent on preparation. And seriously, any good fiction which you have not had the chance to read in the past couple years. All I've done this year is catch up on great books.

I do a lot better doing than just reading, so I'm not sure I will read the Washington Manual...however, I am reading a few journal articles here and there. Also, I have to say on these last few rotations in particular, I've been paying attention a lot more to things like dosing and just trying to get as many little treatment pearls as I can.

I'm also catching up on all the movies I've missed the past 4 years!

There is no way to prep for internship. If you must read medical stuff, just read enough to easy your anxiety. Reading the Washington Manual or Harriet Lane or whatever, is great, but your institution will have its own style that will deviate - in some way - from those manuals. Unless, of course, you're going to be an intern in the institutions that spawned the manuals.

Otherwise, just pat attention on rounds and move (if you have to move for your residency) as early as possible.

Good luck and have fun.