Prep for Postbac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gena23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to the boards and am considering applying to a post-bac program. I'm in Maryland, so I would like to find a place close by. Both JHU and Goucher here have programs, so those are two I'm looking at. My undergrad was in Psych, and I've taken about 18 credits of science that include Bio, Zoo, and Chem I. However, I only have 3 credits of college algebra and that was a couple years ago and I got a C. I also didn't do so great in Chem I either, with a C. I feel like I'm working with an empty canvas here. My gpa is 3.56, but will my performance in math and chem look bad on the application?
I'm starting from scrath this semester back in algebra at a local comm college to get me back into math mode. Then I'll need a pre-calc or trig to prepare me for calculus (yikes!). Can I still catch up, I feel like I have a long way to go??? :eek:

Thanks!
Gena

Members don't see this ad.

gena23 said:
Hi,
I'm new to the boards and am considering applying to a post-bac program. I'm in Maryland, so I would like to find a place close by. Both JHU and Goucher here have programs, so those are two I'm looking at. My undergrad was in Psych, and I've taken about 18 credits of science that include Bio, Zoo, and Chem I. However, I only have 3 credits of college algebra and that was a couple years ago and I got a C. I also didn't do so great in Chem I either, with a C. I feel like I'm working with an empty canvas here. My gpa is 3.56, but will my performance in math and chem look bad on the application?
I'm starting from scrath this semester back in algebra at a local comm college to get me back into math mode. Then I'll need a pre-calc or trig to prepare me for calculus (yikes!). Can I still catch up, I feel like I have a long way to go??? :eek:

Thanks!
Gena

You are not in a complete crisis but by all means you need to retake those classes. In general, if you take a class more than 3 tims, you will not get in anywhere ( and it will be hard even for a non M.D. / D.O. program )!! Those grades are certainly something you can build on. Perhaps if you can explain ( maybe not to us but to adcoms or advisors ) WHY you got those grades, personal problems, just didn't click, didn't study whatever they can help.

Taking Algebra and maybe Re-taking Chem 1 over is a good way to start. In general, a cc is not as rigorous but it is essentially the same material so you should be able to get back in gear and understand the concepts. Despite what people may say, you need algebra and trig big time if you ever want to get past Physics and a lot of Physiology uses Calculus equations but in medical school they ' dumb ' it down and use algebra equations ( after my Physio experience, the algebra will be so easy lol ). But, until you understand those concepts it is like looking for a needle in a haystack not comprised of any needles?. :(

What I can suggest is that once you get through those classes try and get into a formal postbac program. It doesn't have to be a private, ritz college, any formal postbac will help. There you will get advising and make sure to join one that has a ' community '. Your grades are more than fine as a whole but for any medical program, they want you to give both your overall and science gpa. Here, science gpa considers math, biology, chemistry, physics, computer science, statistics and all derivitives like biochem and physio. Be sure to work on your foundational classes and get them ' down '. Then when you are ready for the postbac you will be ready to tackle the more difficult courses.

Good luck! :thumbup:

What's your science GPA? Even if it's mediocre, you've taken so few science credits that it'll be easy for you to raise it substantially.

JHU and Goucher are both competitive, which is why a few poor science grades will detract from your app for those programs. I'd arrange to meet w/ a rep from each of those schools and see what they have to say before applying.

As for math, did you never take it? Why got all the way back to HS algebra? I'd start with pre-calc. If you absolutely must, sit in on a CC algebra class and do the work, but don't take it for a grade or even an audit. It'll look like you're filling your transcript w/ easy science classes, even if they were hard for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoa, never had a poster reply while I was replying...

I agree with a lot of AlphaKi's points. Guess I kinda take the useful math classes before calc for granted...

AlphaKi said:
You are not in a complete crisis but by all means you need to retake those classes. In general, if you take a class more than 3 tims, you will not get in anywhere ( and it will be hard even for a non M.D. / D.O. program )!! Those grades are certainly something you can build on. Perhaps if you can explain ( maybe not to us but to adcoms or advisors ) WHY you got those grades, personal problems, just didn't click, didn't study whatever they can help.

Taking Algebra and maybe Re-taking Chem 1 over is a good way to start. In general, a cc is not as rigorous but it is essentially the same material so you should be able to get back in gear and understand the concepts. Despite what people may say, you need algebra and trig big time if you ever want to get past Physics and a lot of Physiology uses Calculus equations but in medical school they ' dumb ' it down and use algebra equations ( after my Physio experience, the algebra will be so easy lol ). But, until you understand those concepts it is like looking for a needle in a haystack not comprised of any needles?. :(

What I can suggest is that once you get through those classes try and get into a formal postbac program. It doesn't have to be a private, ritz college, any formal postbac will help. There you will get advising and make sure to join one that has a ' community '. Your grades are more than fine as a whole but for any medical program, they want you to give both your overall and science gpa. Here, science gpa considers math, biology, chemistry, physics, computer science, statistics and all derivitives like biochem and physio. Be sure to work on your foundational classes and get them ' down '. Then when you are ready for the postbac you will be ready to tackle the more difficult courses.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Thanks for the advice. I have been in touch with some people at Goucher, but am certainly open to any formal program that can help boost my science and get me in to med school. The math is really helping, and its surprising how much I actually remember (its always easier to learn 2nd time around). I would say I feel more focused now then in undergraduate, and have a clearer purpose in mind. What schools do you (or anyone else) know of with a great "community"??? I think I would thrive better in a smaller class size, which is what attracted me to Goucher. But then with a smaller class, there are fewer spots open, so.....

sidewalkman said:
What's your science GPA? Even if it's mediocre, you've taken so few science credits that it'll be easy for you to raise it substantially.

JHU and Goucher are both competitive, which is why a few poor science grades will detract from your app for those programs. I'd arrange to meet w/ a rep from each of those schools and see what they have to say before applying.

As for math, did you never take it? Why got all the way back to HS algebra? I'd start with pre-calc. If you absolutely must, sit in on a CC algebra class and do the work, but don't take it for a grade or even an audit. It'll look like you're filling your transcript w/ easy science classes, even if they were hard for you.

Its scary, but my math is in serious need of overhaul. My goal is to be though pre-calculus level by may. I've been told that calculus is usually not a requirment for med school. But if it is, I'll be ready for it my glide year or whenever. Either way, a year devoted to algebra and trig and I'll be thanking myself later. :idea:

Gena - Have you thought about UMD-College Park? They don't have a formal post-bac program; rather, you choose only the classes that you need to fulfill the pre-reqs and/or raise your GPA. You can do this as a full-time, part-time, or evening student. Post-bacs there have access to the pre-med advising, committee letter, etc. (with in-state tuition, if applicable.) While there, I met a fair number of post-bac pre-med students, even though it was a more informal set-up. Good luck! -J