Prep time on top of class time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kidB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if these questions have been asked before. I've enrolled in TPR (with time left to get a refund) and I'm somewhat doubting my decision. I am taking the test in August and the course is set to start on May 19.

How much extra studying time is usually needed on top of the actual class time? I'm working full time so the only time I'll actually have to study are Friday nights, some Saturdays, and Sundays. Considering the fact that there are 8 official CBTs plus the 5 mandatory TPR ones (+ 6 extras), I'd be doing almost 2 CBTs every weekend. I'd end up spending weekend mornings testing and then the afternoon and evenings studying. I'd have essentially no free time for 3 months. Maybe this IS the commitment that needs to be made, but I feel this is very overwhelming.

I'm thinking that maybe I should just study on my own. To the people that have taken the TPR courses themselves, would you say that the hyperlearning books on their own are comparable the material that you get in class? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You won't have enough time to study for the MCAT. You should reschedule and devote a full 3 months to the MCAT. Think of studying for the MCAT as a full-time job.

The Hyperlearning books you can buy from various people are the same that are given out to the class. Technically, the people who sell their Hyperlearning books are breaking their TPR Terms of Service.

Sorry if these questions have been asked before. I've enrolled in TPR (with time left to get a refund) and I'm somewhat doubting my decision. I am taking the test in August and the course is set to start on May 19.

How much extra studying time is usually needed on top of the actual class time? I'm working full time so the only time I'll actually have to study are Friday nights, some Saturdays, and Sundays. Considering the fact that there are 8 official CBTs plus the 5 mandatory TPR ones (+ 6 extras), I'd be doing almost 2 CBTs every weekend. I'd end up spending weekend mornings testing and then the afternoon and evenings studying. I'd have essentially no free time for 3 months. Maybe this IS the commitment that needs to be made, but I feel this is very overwhelming.

I'm thinking that maybe I should just study on my own. To the people that have taken the TPR courses themselves, would you say that the hyperlearning books on their own are comparable the material that you get in class? Thanks.

Why not study on your own, ~2 hours every day after work and maybe 6 hours on Saturdays and Sundays?

I like the safety blanket of a course, but there's no point of taking it if i can't actually keep up. Which brings me back to my original question: How much extra time is needed to keep up with the course?

If it's anything like the Kaplan class, doing the bare minimum would probably be around 10-15 hours. Still, only completing the bare minimum won't even come close to cutting it for the MCAT.

Edit: Actually, it's more than that because of the class time.