Preparation for COMLEX I & USMLE I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolness

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading many posts in regards to preparing for both tests and I'm still somewhat confused:

1) when should I start preparing for both tests?
2) what materials should I use? I've noticed many recommend First Aid and BRS materials. Yet, at my school, I have seen many purchase the Lippincotts as well. There is just so much review materials out there!
3) Exactly what does each tests cover (i.e. anatomy, pharmacology, biochemistry, etc...)
4) Does COMLEX I cover everything in USMLE I, plus OMM
5) What material should I use to study for OMM?

Thanks so much for your help!

P.S. The MCAT's a little simpler because the majority of people recommend Examkrackers & AAMC practice material.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have anything they would like to share regarding the Kaplan review course vs Northwestern?

actually i found the usmle and comlex to be easier than the MCATs....but these tests are A LOT different than MCATs (in a good way that is).......good luck

I have been told that the USMLE and the COMLEX are very different tests... the USMLE having a lot more basic science and the COMLEX focusing on clinical application and OMM...
anybody else have any comments?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took both tests, and here are some basic pointers, to be taken with a grain of salt, since they are anecdotal.

1) Know what to leave in/throw out when studying for individual tests. The COMLEX had three biochemistry questions on it and the USMLE (mine, at least) had three straight micro questions. However, the COMLEX loads up on micro and the USMLE likes biochem, genetics, cell bio, etc. This is the main reason why I took 17 days between tests, so that I could throw out the OMM knowledge and study biochem, etc. I was prepared for micro and path and pharm, so those were not emphasized in my between time, and I hit the less high-yield subjects (behavioral, genetics, etc.)

2) Study pharmacology and endocrine physiology as if your life depended on it. I would wager that endocrine phys. made up about 50% of my overall physiology questions (on both tests), especially reproductive endocrinology. This was something that, while I didnt intentionally neglect, I was a little weak in. Understand different methods of birth control, for instance, and when each is indicated/contraindicated. As far as pharmacology goes, you can never know enough. Nearly 1/5 of all test questions I encountered had some aspect of pharmacology associated, and some will take you by surprise.

3) Practice real-life test taking situations, because no matter how much testing stamina you think you have, test-day will drain you quite a bit.

4) Do questions, questions, questions. QBank, BSS, Robbins, Appleton and Lange, NMS, BRS...everything you can get your hands on.

5) Understand that, for the COMLEX, apparently the test-writers make sure that a question does not appear anywhere in First Aid before it makes it into the test. (note: this is intended to be somewhat sarcastic, but it also stresses the point that First Aid is a poor resource for the COMLEX, no matter how you slice it. A systems based review is much more practical: A+L, Step Up, Princeton Review)

6) Lower and upper limb anatomy was extremey high yield on COMLEX, accounting for 40-60 questions easily (excluding OMM questions). Mostly first-order nerve/muscle questions that were very straightforward. Anatomy on USMLE was practically nonexistent.

7) Start studying question resources, just as practice, after January 1. Start reviewing 2nd year subjects in March and 1st year subjects after finals week. 2nd year materials are easily 70% of both exams, I think. Pathology, in some way or another is ~80% of the USMLE, and about 50% of COMLEX. Know pathology above and beyond all else.

8) OMM was pretty straightforward, and Savarese is the major resource (although everyone says questions come from Foundations...I think they just want everyone to purchase Foundations. Ugh.) A few typos exist in all versions of this book, so watch out, but you can be relatively weak in OMM and cram the week before and ace OMM.

Hope this helps. PM me with any specific questions.

mamitch4 said:
I have been told that the USMLE and the COMLEX are very different tests... the USMLE having a lot more basic science and the COMLEX focusing on clinical application and OMM...
anybody else have any comments?

This is a little too simplistic. The USMLE is very clinical and individual success seems to be based more on ability to answer third-order questions, whereas COMLEX is a little less concrete and usually takes only a first-order understanding of the question to answer it. That said, some of the COMLEX is mind-boggling, and some of the USMLE is very easy. Clinical medicine is more evident on the COMLEX, yes, but also a heavy part of the USMLE.

Hey Idio that was a fairly meticulous reply. I have a similar q- Eating only 2 small meals a day(Do you drink coffee?) without distractions-How many qs with explanations should a guy be able to do in 1 day? Thx buddy.

mjl1717 said:
Hey Idio that was a fairly meticulous reply. I have a similar q- Eating only 2 small meals a day(Do you drink coffee?) without distractions-How many qs with explanations should a guy be able to do in 1 day? Thx buddy.

I could do about 500 before my brain completely shut down. However, I work fast and test very fast, so that may affect it. I never just did questions during a day though, I always balanced it out.

omarsaleh66 said:
Hey idio, about how many questions were u shooting for a day after Jan. 1st?

thanks

Omar

I finished QBank by March 15th (about 5 blocks of 50 questions per week, on average). After that I hit BSS, of which I did about 2300 questions. I finished Robbins Review of Path for my Path class (about 1100 questions)and also did the NBME tests (400 questions) and the free stuff from both sources (about 300 questions). I used Appleton and Lange online, as well as something I found from Kaplan circa 2003. USMLEasy was being offered for free during this time, so I used it some as well, but it wasnt very good. There are other sources I cant remember that I used also.

After Spring Break, I did a solid 300-400 questions a week, which worked out to about 5000 questions, in addition to QBank.

Idiopathic said:
I finished QBank by March 15th (about 5 blocks of 50 questions per week, on average). After that I hit BSS, of which I did about 2300 questions. I finished Robbins Review of Path for my Path class (about 1100 questions)and also did the NBME tests (400 questions) and the free stuff from both sources (about 300 questions). I used Appleton and Lange online, as well as something I found from Kaplan circa 2003. USMLEasy was being offered for free during this time, so I used it some as well, but it wasnt very good. There are other sources I cant remember that I used also.

After Spring Break, I did a solid 300-400 questions a week, which worked out to about 5000 questions, in addition to QBank.

thanks alot man!!!

How important is it for me to take both tests if I'm interested in specializing?