preparation for those of us retaking part1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ratson

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
this thread is to help all students who are retaking part 1. I would like for all of us to share what are we doing differently to ensure better results.
I am studying some topics from textbooks to clear my concepts. I did really poorly in Biochem so I am going to give extra attention to it this time.

Please share your study methods,guidelines or any advice for each other.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys,
please post your suggestions or comments here. It would be useful to all of us.

Thanks

whn r u planning to give ur part1,ratson?i havent decided yet , not sure if i would be giving it.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think a good thing would be to concentrate on decks and papers and not do too many textbooks which a lot of people did. u dont need to know everything for this exam- u need just the basics.

Originally posted by toothmail
i think a good thing would be to concentrate on decks and papers and not do too many textbooks which a lot of people did. u dont need to know everything for this exam- u need just the basics.

Very true toothmail!! At least for me.......thats exactly how i s#@%&ed up!! Giving up too much time to the textbooks can be hazardous to ur part 1 scores!!
Be sure that ur thorough with the decks and past papers FIRST....then go on to the other things.
CHEERS

:D :cool: :clap:

hey guys,

I am planning to take July Cbt exams. I hope that some other SDNers are also planning to take the CBT.
bye for now

hey people,
retaking part 1 to get a better score seems hard right now.....i'm wondering where to start and where to end!!! well last year i had a little bit of a tough time with anatomy....and also took DA toooooooooooooo lightly:D

but my advice to anyone would be :-

if u can't get a hold of what lies below the level of the neck in anatomy get an MBBS student to guide u....they're the best!!!

do not neglect DA not matter how boring it is:laugh:....espacially read on occlusion!!! :confused:

go back to the books only when in doubt otherwise the test papers and decks r ur best bet!!!

lasjy

Originally posted by lasjy
hey people,
retaking part 1 to get a better score seems hard right now.....i'm wondering where to start and where to end!!! well last year i had a little bit of a tough time with anatomy....and also took DA toooooooooooooo lightly:D

but my advice to anyone would be :-

if u can't get a hold of what lies below the level of the neck in anatomy get an MBBS student to guide u....they're the best!!!

do not neglect DA not matter how boring it is:laugh:....espacially read on occlusion!!! :confused:

go back to the books only when in doubt otherwise the test papers and decks r ur best bet!!!

lasjy
hi jos...
does that mean we can actually do without the books........coz i have been reading books all this while............
see ya.....

read the books only if u have the time.

i have only 3 months.

no time...so no books

lasjy

I agree ,donnot spend too much time on textbooks, memorizing the decks ,re doing the asda test booklets is sure thing, do refer the text books when you need more information for a particular topics ,go thru' Kaplan notes
GOOD LUCK

personally i think this should be ur checklist in order of priority:

1. decks
2. papers
3. kaplan - just skim through if not enough time
4. reference texts- dont do the whole thing- just what u dont know or have doubts in

and most of all....dont get scared! tell urself u will do well- positivity helps!

all the best.

thanks to all..............................

Hi guys

What do u guys think about USMLE step-1 review book ??? i am trying to use that for pathology, microbilogy and physiology. Do u think that is the right book to study from??????

Does the anatomy part has clinical correlation questions???

I used the kaplan book only last time and trying to do only usmle book and dental deck this time?

thanx

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by meetlife
hi jos...
does that mean we can actually do without the books........coz i have been reading books all this while............
see ya.....

hey meetlife,
I agree with Toothmail.It's better if you concentrate more on Decks, papers and Kaplan and falling back on books when you are in doubt.
do as many revisions of decks as possible.
don't worry meetlife, it's never too late.
Try getting the Kaplan NDBE Review notes.They are good too.Too bad I didn't myself have much time before my exam.
One more thing i'd like to suggest is that you go through the decks once completely before going into the papers.It is when you start doing your decks for the 2nd time that i'd suggest you do the papers side by side.
(usually the tendency is to go into papers without finishing the decks thinking we would be covering the topics simultaneously but it tends to discourage you if you don't make a good score in them.)
just my two cents..Good luck with your preparation.

Originally posted by Bond
Does the anatomy part has clinical correlation questions???
No, the anatomy part doesn't have clinical corelation questions (if applied anatomy to dentistry is what you mean)
you may go through the previous papers.You'll get a pretty clear cut idea when you go through them.good luck with your preparation.

Ater long thought i have decided to retake part 1.. i got 83 last time around.. but none i knew were happy with my scores..so i have to make the hard choice of going thru all over again.. well i havedecided to strt with decks, papers and kaplan.. aiming for big score..... i lost in biochemistry /physiology.. any special books ?? or refernces.. let know.. all the best ppl..

Originally posted by elementz
hey meetlife,
I agree with Toothmail.It's better if you concentrate more on Decks, papers and Kaplan and falling back on books when you are in doubt.
do as many revisions of decks as possible.
don't worry meetlife, it's never too late.
Try getting the Kaplan NDBE Review notes.They are good too.Too bad I didn't myself have much time before my exam.
One more thing i'd like to suggest is that you go through the decks once completely before going into the papers.It is when you start doing your decks for the 2nd time that i'd suggest you do the papers side by side.
(usually the tendency is to go into papers without finishing the decks thinking we would be covering the topics simultaneously but it tends to discourage you if you don't make a good score in them.)
just my two cents..Good luck with your preparation.

elementz ....thank a zillion..........all the best........do well.......

also planning to retake part1 paper based.
I have only 3 months ...wondering about sufficient or not.
I want to first finish decks then paper and side by side kaplan notes.

anybody has given cbt? Is there any difference betn them like form of qs..etc?

Hi,
Can anyone suggest a quick review for Physiology??..any good books ??
My basics needs a brush up!!!
Thanks
Toothzone :confused:

What you could do Toothzone, especially if all you need is to brush up on basics, is read the textbook you used in dental college... it feels more familiar to you, and revision will be faster. Using a new textbook at this point is going to be too much to handle, IMO. If you still want a textbook, without the risk of learning anything not necessary for the exam, the kaplan review covers most of the basics really well. Good Luck! :)

Read atleast one text for every subject, but then if you have been in touch with academics and its not rusty and you not interested in reading a text book from cover to cover then just buy/ borrow a book and keep it for ref. It always helps.

hey people,
i have booked my slot for the written exam on the 12th of july or part 1 via the online registration. i had taken the exam previously on july 14th 2003. i wanted to know whether we have to send the ece report again or whether the one they received the last time will still hold good.

i have recieved a confirmation via e-mail from the ADA. i wanted to know the toll free number one can call to find out the status of the application.

thanks

lasjy

Just wanted to let you guy's know-
You don't GIVE exams you TAKE Exams...........

hi guys
i wanted to know how helpfull the rudman books are ..iam going to start studying only after 15th may .. plan to take the exam in aug ...a cbt ......any tips ....? iam taking the exam to better my score

lasjy said:
hey people,
i have booked my slot for the written exam on the 12th of july or part 1 via the online registration. i had given the exam previously on july 14th 2003. i wanted to know whether we have to send the ece report again or whether the one they received the last time will still hold good.

i have recieved a confirmation via e-mail from the ADA. i wanted to know the toll free number one can call to find out the status of the application.

thanks

lasjy

Hi lasjy
U dont have to send the ece report again they have ur old records and they will pull it from there.
Well i am in the same situation as u in send in my online registration i got the confirmation email but i haven't heard from ADA about which centre i have to go to or my registration card or anything ?? i guess we should wait for few more days and hope they will send us something else
Best of luck

BOND

Bond said:
Hi lasjy
U dont have to send the ece report again they have ur old records and they will pull it from there.
Well i am in the same situation as u in send in my online registration i got the confirmation email but i haven't heard from ADA about which centre i have to go to or my registration card or anything ?? i guess we should wait for few more days and hope they will send us something else
Best of luck

BOND

thanks bond

Hi,very happy to realize tat ter r ppl to give me company,I never knew abt tis site earlier ,well I hope its not too late, as I read from many others' responses,I too have been relying on the text books unitl now along with the Kaplan Review notes,n I tell u,te books juz carry you off from wot u actually had been reading < I was juz wondering ,seeing my pace,if I wud finish atleast one subject b4 July , thanks to few of you , who very well made it clear tat Decks n Prev Qstn Papers are imp. THanks to all .. n please help me out too .. with ur pieces of advice n above all ,soothing n comforting n encouraging words..
thanks
ansi.

Smile an ever lasting smile ...

nident said:
Hi,very happy to realize tat ter r ppl to give me company,I never knew abt tis site earlier ,well I hope its not too late, as I read from many others' responses,I too have been relying on the text books unitl now along with the Kaplan Review notes,n I tell u,te books juz carry you off from wot u actually had been reading < I was juz wondering ,seeing my pace,if I wud finish atleast one subject b4 July , thanks to few of you , who very well made it clear tat Decks n Prev Qstn Papers are imp. THanks to all .. n please help me out too .. with ur pieces of advice n above all ,soothing n comforting n encouraging words..
thanks
ansi.

Smile an ever lasting smile ...
hi relax..........u will do well.......get started with decks and papers.......do anat and physio decks together..........saves lots of time.....
sort out decks and make a bundle of all the decks related to oral cavity from all the subjects.....do all in one day......saves lots of time........hope it helps.....
do well
all the best may GOD bless u.......

Thanks a lot meetlife ... it was so nice to get a positive n prompt feedback from u, thanks a lot for the suggestions,feel so encouraged,thanks once again .. u too prepare well ,... finally we can share a gud news together .. rite ?!! keep in touch ...
take care
ansi.

Smile .. an everlasting smile ...

nident said:
Thanks a lot meetlife ... it was so nice to get a positive n prompt feedback from u, thanks a lot for the suggestions,feel so encouraged,thanks once again .. u too prepare well ,... finally we can share a gud news together .. rite ?!! keep in touch ...
take care
ansi.

Smile .. an everlasting smile ...
hi.....how r u?????
studying????
put in ur best.....
and yes i wish we all get good score........
all the best do well...
may GOD bless u

hi all...
i plan to retake part1 exam....but i feel more stressed out than before.i think i was more confident at my first attempt.i got 85 then...but now i worry of lot many 'what ifs'....like...what if i dont score in 90s?what if i score less than 85? :(
i dont know what shud i do?

hi dipali,
just take it easy and revise well.everybody feels the way you feel.
take it easy and i am sure u will do well.
dipali said:
hi all...
i plan to retake part1 exam....but i feel more stressed out than before.i think i was more confident at my first attempt.i got 85 then...but now i worry of lot many 'what ifs'....like...what if i dont score in 90s?what if i score less than 85? :(
i dont know what shud i do?

lasjy said:
hey people,
i wanted to know the toll free number one can call to find out the status of the application.

thanks

lasjy

the toll free number is 1800-621-8099.

aravind buddula said:
hi dipali,
just take it easy and revise well.everybody feels the way you feel.
take it easy and i am sure u will do well.

Hi all,
I am also in the same boat I finished part 1 last yr and now want to improve
score. but feel littlebit afraid that what about if I score below my first score?
I want to write computerised in July end so how many days before should I send them application so that I will recieve the no. and schedule the appoinment.

ddsfight

Hi,
The number to find out the status of your application is 1-800-232-1694.
they say we will recieve our admission cards 2 weeks before the exam.

hi everyone,
I have serious thoughts of retaking part 1 too.. My score is 88 and i dont think its great if I am to apply for specialty. I have already been accepted in UCLA and start this month. Does anyone know if its possible to find time to prepare for the exam with school.. Also, does the previous score become invalid after the new score comes? Pl. guide me on these issues, I have to make a decision as I need to buy the material too!!