Preparations for a high school student interested in medicine

DJS7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a high school student and I'm interested in medicine. I'm in in a program that allows me to take college classes in place of high school classes so I can graduate high school with my AA or take one extra year of college afterwards and get my AS. But I'm wondering what would be some helpful things to learn for when I go to a university and begin a science major and apply for med school after that. I know that it's a massive amount of knowledge to learn as far as anatomy and I'm currently in the process of reading "The Unabridged Running Press Edition of the American Classic: Gray's Anatomy" which is a LOT of imformation bbuy it's still pretty incredible haha. It's basically the complete anatomy of the human body, it looks like everything I'll ever need to know about anatomy haha. But what are some of the like base things they teach you that I can start learning now.

And please don't tell me to just worry about my grades and enjoying high school or that I'll probably change my mind so getting a head start might be a waste of time. I'm just looking for some answers, info, and/or advice.
-Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

And please don't tell me to just worry about my grades and enjoying high school or that I'll probably change my mind so getting a head start might be a waste of time. I'm just looking for some answers, info, and/or advice.
-Thanks!

This sounds like "give me advice, but only if it's the advice I want to hear."

As far as college prep goes, just do well in school. Taking dual credit or "replacement credit" stuff like you're doing is nice, especially if it's saving you some hassle in college later. Beyond that, trying to prep for college prereqs outside of the usual classes is extremely inefficient.

As far as med school goes, there is nothing you can do that will appreciably help you in medical school. I know that doesn't seem right, but you can't. Reading Gray's sounds nice and all, and if you can make it through the whole thing and actually retain and understand it, fine. But that is unlikely and unnecessary.

The best thing you can do is to do well in college, and above all, make sure you want to go into medicine over other things.

I kind of want to tell you to enjoy high school and you might change your mind... actually I was going to lol. I talk to Cardiologist that I know well she says "Let things run its course" I 1OO% agree with exi, and you shouldn't worry about something that's too far away.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Member 121991
Thanks, I know that's what everyone says to just worry about school and that you'll probably change your mind about medicine when you see all that it entails. But I've done my research, I know about the all nighters studying four nights a week, the 100-110 hour work weeks, the years of scut work superiors put you through, but im still deadset on being a doctor and the tangible sense of helping someone, you get to see directly how your helping people out. I'm doing fine in school and I don't expect to retain all the information I learn right at first but it's a start, I can relearn it over and over If I have too. But I'm sure there's something I can do, Im a volunteer at my local hospital, I figured it's a good way to see the environment and what it's like instead of trying to create an image from what you see in tv shows. Any tips though are helpful, like maybe what do they teach you first in med school? I can start doing research on my own I don't expect to become a med student or anything just cuz I read some books and learn stuff online, but it can't hurt.
-Thanks!

I kind of want to tell you to enjoy high school and you might change your mind... actually I was going to lol.

I'll do it then.

Enjoy high school (It's been 3 weeks and I miss it already).

You might change your mind (A LOT of people do).

Focus on your grades.

Do you want to know why people tell us this? Because it's good advice, and I wish I would have listened to it back then. Buying and reading medical textbooks as a high school student is worthless. I bought Gray's Anatomy (the non-student version) and promised myself that I would read it last summer. I'm still on page three. I've also changed my mind several times on what I want to do for the rest of my life before deciding on medicine and I may change it again. The last point is especially important because all of your dual enrollment grades count towards your AMACS GPA, which means that these class grades affect your chance at getting into medical school. People don't repeat this advice for no reason, and it definitely shouldn't be ignored.

Also, to help you understand more about medicine:

Thanks, I know that's what everyone says to just worry about school and that you'll probably change your mind about medicine when you see all that it entails. But I've done my research, I know about the all nighters(Manage your time right and this should almost never happen) studying four nights a week, the 80-88 (there were restrictions placed on the number of hours that interns and residents can work) hour work weeks, the years of scut work superiors put you through, but im still deadset on being a doctor and the tangible sense of helping someone, you get to see directly how your helping people out.

Last edited:
OP, are you a Douglas Adams fan?

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

Read if it's just that interesting to you, but beyond that, spending lots of time trying to absorb this stuff without the basis in hard sciences that college will provide just isn't worth it. I'm in my final year of med school, and I don't regret one second spent not studying when I was a high school or college student.

@exi
Ok then, so what are the hard sciences you talk about, like biology and chemistry? Also from the research I've done, most people major in either Chemistry or biology or a branch of one (i.e microbiology, analytical chemistry, biochemistry, physics chemistry), just out of curiosity, which one is more useful in med school chemistry or biology, or is it neither maybe haha. Which would be best to major in in college, chemistry or biology, or if neither then what IS best? I like chemistry more and Im a lil bit better at it than biology. But which did you major in? Are you glad you chose that? Do you wish you would have chosen something else? If so, what and why?
-Thanks!

@exi
Ok then, so what are the hard sciences you talk about, like biology and chemistry? Also from the research I've done, most people major in either Chemistry or biology or a branch of one (i.e microbiology, analytical chemistry, biochemistry, physics chemistry), just out of curiosity, which one is more useful in med school chemistry or biology, or is it neither maybe haha. Which would be best to major in in college, chemistry or biology, or if neither then what IS best? I like chemistry more and Im a lil bit better at it than biology. But which did you major in? Are you glad you chose that? Do you wish you would have chosen something else? If so, what and why?
-Thanks!

Neither is ultimately more useful. I was a biochem major, but the vast majority of the things beyond basic cell functions was not covered in my major. Neither is the best major, there is only what is best for you. I would have been bored being a straight bio major, so biochem was better for me. Sounds like something chem is better for you, but don't hesitate to change. I started out as a microbio major and switched to biochem after a couple years.

Which would be best to major in in college, chemistry or biology, or if neither then what IS best? ... But which did you major in? Are you glad you chose that? Do you wish you would have chosen something else? If so, what and why?
-Thanks!

There is no "best" like mmmcdowe said. Choose a major you like, do well in it, and if it doesn't overlap with prerequisites that med schools require (organic chemistry, etc), do well in those. Consider choosing a major that gives you an "out" if you were to decide that medical school is not for you. Lots of people start college wanting to become a doctor and save the world. Considerably fewer people actually go to medical school. And there's nothing wrong with that! It's not for everyone to say the least.

I majored in a soft science, actually -- as in, my undergrad degree is a BA, not a BS. I'm glad I chose it because, well, I chose it initially because I was interested in it, not because I wanted the easy way out. If I had to do it over again, I would probably major in something else because on its own, my undergrad degree is not particularly marketable, which I knew at the time but since I was so dead set on further schooling anyway, I figured it didn't matter too much. Would probably have chosen something in business or technology -- business because it's an important side of medicine that doesn't get as much air time as it should (or because it's more marketable as a standalone, depending on your life plans at the time), and technology because it's a personal interest of mine and was almost a career if I had decided against medicine.

There is something to say for majoring in what you like, though. I graduated with a college GPA north of 3.9 because I liked what I was doing, not because studying was a chore I was constantly making myself do.

Just my $0.02.

@exi
Yeah I've always been a firm believe in that saying "If you like what you do, you never work a day in your life." And it's not so much that I'm in love with science, I'm in love with learning, and sciences fascinate me to such an extent that I love to learn everything about them. But not so much like plants and animals, I don't care to learn for that sort of stuff much, but more like physics and chemistry and stuff. I understand the importance of biology, it's the basic form of life itself, so I see why it matters and know the importance of understanding it. I just would rather be learning about like chemistry haha. And that's another thing I'm weary about, is if for some reason I couldn't go to med school (although it's a snowballs chance in hell) a degree in chemistry or some other sciences are hard to get their use out of without some form of further education. I'm definitely sure I want further education whether it's med school or getting a ph. D.

What are some good studying techniques, one of my biology courses is throwing me for a loop haha, I'm having a tough time with retaining some of the info. So what are some good tips for studying?

@exi
Yeah I've always been a firm believe in that saying "If you like what you do, you never work a day in your life." And it's not so much that I'm in love with science, I'm in love with learning, and sciences fascinate me to such an extent that I love to learn everything about them. But not so much like plants and animals, I don't care to learn for that sort of stuff much, but more like physics and chemistry and stuff. I understand the importance of biology, it's the basic form of life itself, so I see why it matters and know the importance of understanding it. I just would rather be learning about like chemistry haha. And that's another thing I'm weary about, is if for some reason I couldn't go to med school (although it's a snowballs chance in hell) a degree in chemistry or some other sciences are hard to get their use out of without some form of further education. I'm definitely sure I want further education whether it's med school or getting a ph. D.

What are some good studying techniques, one of my biology courses is throwing me for a loop haha, I'm having a tough time with retaining some of the info. So what are some good tips for studying?

It's all trial and error. Everyone has something that works for them... when I was in high school, I used to break down what they said in lectures and take my own notes which I reviewed for tests, never used the textbooks any more than I had to for an in-class assignment or something, and that was it. Some people make flashcards or tables. Some people like the texts. Just gotta figure out what's most efficient for you.

In 9th and 10th grade it was copying things down and then rewriting it, for vocabulary and note taking I'd just rewrite my notes two or three times and I'd be better at remembering it cuz when I would copy it down I'd be reading it to myself in my head a few words at a time as I was writing it. But that strategy has failed me lately.

I know I already asked this, but what DO they teach you in medical school? like what are the base things you learn first, just out curiosity. What makes it hard?

In 9th and 10th grade it was copying things down and then rewriting it, for vocabulary and note taking I'd just rewrite my notes two or three times and I'd be better at remembering it cuz when I would copy it down I'd be reading it to myself in my head a few words at a time as I was writing it. But that strategy has failed me lately.

I know I already asked this, but what DO they teach you in medical school? like what are the base things you learn first, just out curiosity. What makes it hard?

Medical biochem, embryology, histology cell biology, basic pathology, anatomy, basic pharm, genetics, and maybe physiology depending on what school you are in. It is hard because it is so much so fast.

From someone who recently graduated, here's my advice.

1) Have fun.
I wasn't really involved in anything during high school except for my academics and my work, and I regret it. Most of the successful kids you see have outside interests, whether it is cross country or theatre. Remember that high school isn't just about getting good grades (although that is very important) and that you should enjoy it too.

2) Have an open mind.
You say you desperately want to go into medicine, but don't shut yourself off from other opportunities. When I started high school, I was deadset on becoming a sportswriter. I wrote for my local newspaper, had my own sports blog, and even contacted professional writers. I was going to go to a state school to study journalism and make it to the Boston Globe. Now, I'm going to Vermont to study biochemistry at a small Catholic school and am looking at either healthcare or research. Life changes really quickly, even if you think you know what you want. I'm not saying to discount medicine; just make sure you are willing to consider other avenues that may pop up.

3) Get into a good college.
You can take AP science courses to get a head start. That isn't a big issue. But the biggest thing that you can do in high school is to get into the college you want to get in to and to get some scholarship money if you can. Once you graduate high school, you have a clean slate for the most part in terms of your academics. You won't remember any medical preparation you do try to learn (most likely), and you will probably neglect your actual studies.

4) The Major Question
This is nothing against you. I just hear it time and time again, and it gets a little frustrating. Major in something that INTERESTS YOU AND IS APPLICABLE TO THE REAL WORLD . Most majors fit the second part fine (I wouldn't recommend Gender Studies or American Studies unless you are really into them, for example). I'm majoring in biochemistry because the chemistry of life fascinates me and I have an interest in the chemistry of the brain (neurological biochemistry, I think). Like someone else said, pick something that you wouldn't mind doing if you don't make it into medical school.

5) Random notes
Find a good study system. Stay on top of your homework. Eat well and exercise. Have a life outside of the classroom. Make quality friends. Find what interests you. And live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations (if you got the joke, A+).

Ok so now I'm in a bit of a pickle, right now I have a schedule for the rest of my college program (it's called Running Start for future reference) so in RS you can create an Academic Schedule and you basically plan the courses you'll take for the two years you're in the program and getting your AA. I decided instead to get my AS which means taking an extra year after high school at the college to take two science course series to get the AS then I plan on transferring to a university and doing my pre med reqs. and all that jazz. I tried to register for fall quarter today but found out there is a new pre req. for the biology class I'm taking, which is the second in a series of three. This pre req. is keeping me from taking the biology class unless I really press for it with the professor to write me in. However it means I'll be having a fall and winter quarter of biology222 calculus151 and gen. chem.161 in the fall and winter would be bio223 gen. chem.162 and calc152 which is a helluva quarter especially to do twice while working part time. My other option is take the new pre req. to get into the bio222 but it would mean waiting possibly until the following year to finish that bio series. All this would give me an AS to transfer to a 4-year with however I would transfer in as a junior so it'd take two years to get my major and then however long it takes to complete my pre med reqs. On the other hand, talking to my sister I gained some sound advice, she went to University of Washington and did the same RS program however she went into politics not science. Nonetheless, she's been through the ringer of University life. She is advising me to get just my AA degree as it would be less courses and not as hard either thus raising my chances of higher grades. I guess after high school if I still want to take the science courses to get my AS, I could (I'm not sure if it would give me an AS as well, or if the AA like "upgrades" to the AS haha). Or I could just transfer to a university right after high school but I'd have those science classes I'd have to take still. Now, she says that the most important thing is to have good grades, and that colleges won't look as favorably on an AS as they would on good grades because when SHE transferred to UW she had an AA but took some extra accounting classes (her original plan was to go to business school) because she figured it would look good to have those classes on h transcript, but she ended up overloading herself and it effected her grades and her GPA wasn't as high as it could have been. She fears the same will happen to me cuz of the hard classes I'm taking and that the AS won't offset the potential low grades. She's always given me good advice and she's been through a similar process just different classes. But I want the advice from someone who's been where I want to go. What do you guys/girls think about my situation? Should I stick to the AS plan and just tough out the classes and take the risk for somewhat less than desirable grades? I don't think I'd fail the classes or even do that bad in any of them, but it IS a lot of work and idk if i can guarantee A's and B's. Or should I change plans and just get my AA? I could stay a year after and take the science courses I need to finish my AS, it would just mean more classes after high school that aren't covered by the RS program so I'd have to pay for them. Also, an Associate Arts doesn't really pertain to my field of interest very much, certainly not like an Associate Science. Will a college look more favorably on a better degree that pertains to my major more, or slightly better grades on a less challenging degree?
-Thanks!

P.S. I saw the below quote in a forum online, I agree with the advice on getting good grades, but when it talks about the methods to getting good grades, choose a major you like and that will maximize your grades (ok) but when it reads go to a college that you can be a dominant student and be well above average, is that really true? Wouldn't a med school look at it and think "yes he has good grades but the college he went to isn't really top notch", or do they even care what college you went too unless it's like Stanford or an ivy league college? Are grades really that important that if you go to a decent college but get like a 3.8 or better then you have higher chances of acceptance?
-Thanks!:) (again)

The fact is, med-school admissions is not only extremely competitive (in that about half of all premeds around the country who apply to med-school get rejected from every single one they apply to), but also extremely grade-driven. Simply put, if you don't have high grades, then you won't be seriously considered. Your application will be thrown away before it ever gets read by a human being.

The upshot of this is that you should go to a premed program where you believe you will be able to get the top grades that med-schools demand. This is generally boils down to a combination of a school that has lots of grade inflation (for example, many of the Ivies, Stanford, etc.) and/or a school where you know you are clearly better than the average student, such that you will be able to dominate the classes.

URL: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/19444-best-premed-programs.html

(third thread down)

Last edited: