Preparing for CARS Section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted421268

Since there is no content learning associated with CARS how is best way to prepare for this section? My plan was with CARS question pack 1 and 2 do practice with it. How should I utilize CARS question packs? My goal is devote 8.5 minutes to 5 question passages, 10 minutes to 6 question passages, and 11.5 minutes to 7 question passages. Should I do like a passage a week than progress to 2 passages the second week or something? What about learning from mistakes? Did one passage today 7 questions times 11.5 minutes and got 1 out of 7 so got long way to go

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Jack Westin has a CARS passage that he sends out with 6-7 questions a day. I haven’t done the AAMC CARS passages, but I’ve heard he does a good job getting it close. I think it’s helpful if you need more practice. It’s also a good idea to look into strategies for CARS. Remember that big picture is important for that section. The AAMC tries to bog you down in the details

Hi @Fuarky -

Learning from mistakes is absolutely crucial. Systematically review each question to identify why the right answer is right, why the wrong answers are wrong, and try to "rehearse" what you would have to do to get the question right (that is, what did you have to understand about the passage, where did you have to consult, etc.), and then try to extract lessons from it that you can take with you into the next practice session you do. This takes a long time and a lot of effort, but it does pay off.

Also, did you feel like you're rushing with that timing system to the point where you're making mistakes because you're in a rush? If so, sometimes it can be useful to step back and do some untimed practice to focus just on your thought process. That way, you can hopefully get to the point of getting most questions right, at which point your task becomes to keep doing the right thing, but just to do it faster.

Hi @Fuarky -

Learning from mistakes is absolutely crucial. Systematically review each question to identify why the right answer is right, why the wrong answers are wrong, and try to "rehearse" what you would have to do to get the question right (that is, what did you have to understand about the passage, where did you have to consult, etc.), and then try to extract lessons from it that you can take with you into the next practice session you do. This takes a long time and a lot of effort, but it does pay off.

Also, did you feel like you're rushing with that timing system to the point where you're making mistakes because you're in a rush? If so, sometimes it can be useful to step back and do some untimed practice to focus just on your thought process. That way, you can hopefully get to the point of getting most questions right, at which point your task becomes to keep doing the right thing, but just to do it faster.
I didn’t feel rushed at all when i did it and okay gotcha. Actually felt kinda rushed

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Having a hard time figuring out if I should do like week of one passage timed or Untimed than progress to second week two passages at a time timed or untimed? If doing these untimed when should I progress to timed passages? Input would be very useful and much appreciated

Use the link I posted for testing solutions. It makes resolving timing issues a top priority

Use the link I posted for testing solutions. It makes resolving timing issues a top priority

Can someone follow the strategy even if say they plan to take MCAT like in October or so or should someone only follow that program 90 days before there actual test?

Can someone follow the strategy even if say they plan to take MCAT like in October or so or should someone only follow that program 90 days before there actual test?
You can follow the strategy whenever you want but its never advisable to start studying for the MCAT more than 3-4 months in advance. Leads to burnout closer to your exam date and you start forgetting content. Maybe just read through it for now and when you actually start studying, start putting it to work

You can follow the strategy whenever you want but its never advisable to start studying for the MCAT more than 3-4 months in advance. Leads to burnout closer to your exam date and you start forgetting content. Maybe just read through it for now and when you actually start studying, start putting it to work

Also for the last thirty days it has you doing like full length practice tests from AAMC and Examcrackers do they mean like every section even the non CAR MCAT section on those tests? What if I'm only ready for CARS sections and not other sections at that point. Also is there anything like this available for the other MCAT sections?

Also for the last thirty days it has you doing like full length practice tests from AAMC and Examcrackers do they mean like every section even the non CAR MCAT section on those tests? What if I'm only ready for CARS sections and not other sections at that point. Also is there anything like this available for the other MCAT sections?
I think its referring to a full length CARS as in 10 passages in a row under a timed environment. And I don't know if theres something like this for the other sections, sorry!

Anyone who scored well in CARS on mcat how did you start preparing for CARS? Strategy? Need guidance

Watch the 7Sage Blind Review Method on Youtube. Follow it to a T, and use the TPR CARS workbook (used to be called Hyperlearning) and AAMC Qpacks to practice it until CARS becomes second nature. I can give more specific tips if you need.

I got 131 on my MCAT for reference, and always 130-132 on the AAMC practice tests.

Watch the 7Sage Blind Review Method on Youtube. Follow it to a T, and use the TPR CARS workbook (used to be called Hyperlearning) and AAMC Qpacks to practice it until CARS becomes second nature. I can give more specific tips if you need.

I got 131 on my MCAT for reference, and always 130-132 on the AAMC practice tests.
Searching but can’t find the 7sage blind method for mcat but i see he does have stuff for like lsat and other tests