Preparing for defense

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

igetpsyched

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I could really use any advice on how to prepare for questions that may arise during my qualitative dissertation defense. If anyone has resources, I would greatly appreciate it.
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Just know your study, the methodology, and the general body of research really well. Defenses shouldn’t be “gotcha” events if your chair is doing their job well (and if they aren’t, there’s not much you can do about it). Good luck! :)

Reactions: 3 users
I just defended in May. Do you have to do it digitally/on zoom?

My tips would be: 1. I had an embarrassing and obvious typo (to me at least, the committee did not really say anything) in my powerpoint. It was fine- I more or less covered for it and I still passed. It was not caught by my advisor even after I sent it to him to review. I suspect this is in large part because COVID19 made him just less helpful and available at the end. Late May was still in the shutdown period here and he could not go to his office. He had 2 kids at home. So, this might be obvious, but read your powerpoint and make sure you don't have any mistakes! I re-used a slide from my proposal and I forgot about how I had updated my research since the proposal and left in a line from the proposal in the defense slide.

2. If you're doing it digitally- this is a good and free website for getting digital signatures! I was responsible for that. You might check with your advisor in general about logistics you are responsible for, especially if it's digital. SignRequest

3. Have a friend watch! I didn't want multiple people but I had 1 person who came and watched and it was great to chat with her while my committee deliberated.

4. As said above- the defense isn't really about catching you up. Just be ready to talk about what you did- you will be fine. A good advisor won't schedule you to defend until your ready. Mine was also really short with zoom.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your advisor is good, you defend when you're ready. It sounds like you're ready.

Reactions: 1 users
I was prepped well by my advisor and found a number of my questions were more reflective in nature ("Now that this study is complete, what would you do differently if you could go back?") whereas during the proposal, I was grilled more on specifics such as specific details on the SEM model that I was proposing.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Presumably, you know your methodology and statistics inside and out as you have been working on it for quite some time. I got some questions about setup, my coding, my stats, and what I would do differently if I were to do the study over again. All were fair game. I've heard of people getting tripped up on stats questions. My belief is, if you cannot describe the stats you used, and why you used them, you have no business using them in the first place.

Reactions: 5 users
Don't get defensive. I've known of students getting blasted over defensiveness. I've also known of grown practicing licensed psychologists failing forensic ABFP orals for defensiveness. (The latter I always find hilarious and yet...not surprising).

Reactions: 3 users
I just defended in May as well. I found the questions much easier and I experienced much less scrutiny at the defense than the proposal meeting. It seems that the faculty at the defense is more interested in helping you succeed and move through. Think about it, why would they want to throw a wrench in the process when it would make their outcome data look bad? Like others have said, if your advisor has approved you, then you are ready. The rest is really just a symbolic formality. Also, you know the topic of your project the best out of anyone in that room because presumably you're the first to study it that much in-depth. Just think of it like you already hit the ball out of the park, now just run around the bases at your leisure. Congratulations!

I defended recently also and it was my experience that my committee was very much on my side. When they questioned me, it was so I could demonstrate to them that I knew what I was talking about. I'd say know your stuff, check in with your chair and methodologist if you have questions, and it should be smooth sailing. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Don't get defensive. I've known of students getting blasted over defensiveness. I've also known of grown practicing licensed psychologists failing forensic ABFP orals for defensiveness. (The latter I always find hilarious and yet...not surprising).

I agree, but this feedback always makes me laugh since the meeting is literally a defense ;)

I say: be able to defend your choices and methodology while remaining flexible and open to critical feedback.

Reactions: 1 user

Yep, you don't get defensive. You talk about what the data/study says.

(Not really, but this comic always makes me laugh)
1596590858182.png

Reactions: 5 users
Before my defense I remember being told by one of my colleagues that the dissertation defense was one of the highlights of their career, since it was a period of time devoted to them describing in detail something that they cared about and had worked hard on to people who were extremely intelligent and knowledgable but knew less about the topic than they did. For what it's worth, I found this to be an encouraging and accurate description.

Enjoy! You'll only get to go on this ride once :)

Reactions: 2 users
pro tip: pepper a few mild mistakes in both your manuscript and presentation. These serve as bait for your comittee to criticize, then you can deliver some prepared responses without hesitation that'll make you shine. #comitteehax

I haven't watched this myself, but here is the link to an APA webinar on defending remotely. Hope it's helpful!

pro tip: pepper a few mild mistakes in both your manuscript and presentation. These serve as bait for your comittee to criticize, then you can deliver some prepared responses without hesitation that'll make you shine. #comitteehax

Someone has been reading the art of war?