Preparing for medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think the 496 MCAT bar is set too low. Here's why:

An MCAT of 496 is 37th percentile. Now, if we assume that the issue isn't with learning but with standardized testing itself, as you have suggested, then we can assume that the same problem will occur with the COMLEX exam - which is also standardized. (I'm assuming DO based on MCAT score.)

On the COMLEX, according to NBOME, a 37th percentile score in 2018-2019 is 495. According to NRMP, in 2016 the mean score for matched DO students is 566. The mean score for unmatched DO students is 518.

A 496 (37th percentile) doesn't even approach the average for an unmatched DO student.

For Family Medicine, which is the least competitive specialty listed, the matched average COMLEX score was 525.

Matt is at an MD school.

Anyway, idk much about COMLEX, but a 37th percentile Step 1 (around a 225) isnt uncommon at all and is competitive for many specialtiee. On the other hand, an 80th percentile score (MCAT average for MD matriculants), is in the mid-upper 240s.

I scored in the 83rd percentile on the MCAT. I was nowhere close on step 1.

Members don't see this ad.

Matt is at an MD school.

Anyway, idk much about COMLEX, but a 37th percentile Step 1 (around a 225) isnt uncommon at all and is competitive for many specialtiee. On the other hand, an 80th percentile score (MCAT average for MD matriculants), is in the mid-upper 240s.

I scored in the 83rd percentile on the MCAT. I was nowhere close on step 1.

Ah, I didn't realize he was at an MD school.

The USMLE median for matched seniors was 233.
The USMLE median for unmatched seniors was 224.

So it may not be uncommon, but a score of 225 certainly isn't good. Fine for Family Medicine (220 mean), Psych, Peds, Rehab, ObGyn, and Neuro though, which I suppose was your point.

But I think the major difference between the MCAT and USMLE is that the curve is much "flatter" for the USMLE.

So you're saying that my advice is exactly accurate except that, instead of the number 500, you would choose the number 496 as the cutoff. Ok.

Also, have those classmates of yours that are "killing it in med school" that "have issues with standardized tests" taken their Step 1 yet? If so, how'd they do?
Im sure theyll do fine. The single most significant predictor of success on Step 1 is preclinical grades in M1 and M2

Members don't see this ad :)
With those scores, you are either not smart enough or you don't have the work ethic required to be a physician. Don't spend $250K+ figuring out which.

Keep working and study for the MCAT again. If you can't get break 500, being a physician is out of reach for you - choose a different profession.
Thats harsh buddy. Seems like OP didn't put in the time. He took it once-I think if he tries again and doesn't come out on top then the issue is his work ethic. I personally believe that it is quite rare to simply be too stupid to get a 500 or higher on the MCAT. You need strong work ethic. If OP can't get a 500 on second try then he just doesn't want it bad enough

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know if it's been said here because I'm reading this while there are 2 pages of responses, but one thing to keep in mind.....

You're stating you cannot work, but once you start school in January, you'll be focused on studying. In January, you will be living on presumably loans and not working. There are many carib students who end up on a 5-year plan of sorts, and by default you will have at least 1 extra semester due to the January start (could be wrong on this part, but that's just what I've seen). This is virtually no different than taking time off to study - except you won't be paying in addition to not working... you would just not be working. OR you could reduce your hours so that you're still making something, but the focus is studying. The extra time away, paying more with loans that may have lower caps or not be eligible for federal loans, etc... you'll end up paying A LOT more for this route than what you'd be "sacrificing" in not working or working less for a short period to focus on studying to get at least around 500 to stay in the US.

Just my .02.

Ah, I didn't realize he was at an MD school.

The USMLE median for matched seniors was 233.
The USMLE median for unmatched seniors was 224.

So it may not be uncommon, but a score of 225 certainly isn't good. Fine for Family Medicine (220 mean), Psych, Peds, Rehab, ObGyn, and Neuro though, which I suppose was your point.

But I think the major difference between the MCAT and USMLE is that the curve is much "flatter" for the USMLE.

Basically you’re not DOA with a 37th percentile Step 1 but you are with a 37th percentile MCAT.

Yeah, that was the point I was making. There is no reason someone with a 224 shouldnt match if they apply right.

FYI, the average step 1 score is a 228ish, a 225 is fine score and leaves many doors open (more as an MD)

I think the 496 MCAT bar is set too low. Here's why:

An MCAT of 496 is 37th percentile. Now, if we assume that the issue isn't with learning but with standardized testing itself, as you have suggested, then we can assume that the same problem will occur with the COMLEX exam - which is also standardized. (I'm assuming DO based on MCAT score.)

On the COMLEX, according to NBOME, a 37th percentile score in 2018-2019 is 495. According to NRMP, in 2016 the mean score for matched DO students is 566. The mean score for unmatched DO students is 518.

A 496 (37th percentile) doesn't even approach the average for an unmatched DO student.

For Family Medicine, which is the least competitive specialty listed, the matched average COMLEX score was 525.

There is a lot not being accounted for here, such as you're comparing an individual score to an average and that there is no published range, but again it is an average. That 518 you mention for unmatched means people may not have matched with as high as a 636. This also doesn't account for board failures and numerous takes - only the score which was utilized for applying as in if someone failed and retook with a 500, then the 500 is used for the statistics here.

With that said, I know someone who matriculated with something like a 485 and did quite well on their boards and matched to an academic program last year. I dont know their background or anything or how they got in with that MCAT, but it happened.

^ with that said now, a 488 is something that you, OP, should be striving to increase, and not settle with a single take resulting with matriculation to the caribbean if it can be avoided.

Reactions: 1 users
I think everything has been covered already. If you want to go, go. But now you are well-informed of the dangers. Browse the caribbean forums or look at US IMG match threads. Those give me anxiety just reading them.