Preparing for PA school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

countryboy87

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I was on track to go through medical school. Post-bac student with 4.0 gap in all pre-req coursework, just decided there is no way i could handle another 4 years of school plus 4 years of residency and all the bills that go with it. I'm doing another year of undergrad where I will complete the following coursework

Fall 15
A&P 1
Biochemistry
Cell Biology

Spring 16
A&P 2
Microbiology
Genetics

Currently I have

Bio 1 & 2
Gen Chem 1 & 2
Physics 1 & 2
Organic 1 & 2

Aside from organic, I hardly remember anything from bio or gen chem, its pretty well out the door from making room for organic. I'm curious, even though I will not be taking the MCAT, should I continue to study for it aside from the Physics so that I am on par for the gen bio, gen chem and organic areas that would be expected of me when beginning PA school?

I was thinking of buying the bio vids from chad on coursesaver and taking notes/memorizing all that stuff, going through all my lecture notes for organic 1 & 2 and perhaps buy the videos and takes notes on the gen chem stuff. Frankly none of this sounds fun but I don't want to show up to school with no clue of what I'm doing.

I'm going to spend the summer going to EMT courses and attain certification so that I can get a job as an ER tech in the local hospital. I will also be studying for the GRE. Should I use the rest of my time over summer to be relearning all the gen bio, gen chem and orgo?

I've also been thinking of buying an A&P book along with biochem to get a head start for classes this fall. There is so much to think about doing, what is the best way to spend the time?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been accepted to PA school, although have not yet started, and I asked my friend who is currently in a program if there is anything that I should review before starting, such as re-memorize all of the bones and muscles and nerves from A&P that are tedious to learn and that I don't remember all of. She said not to do so-PA school will teach you everything you need to know. In my opinion, I would not go through all of the trouble to re-learn all of the gen-bio and gen-chem materials. For the most part, all of the material taught in those courses make up the foundation of the upper level courses you have taken more recently. The general science classes help you learn how to learn sciences, and how to understand and work through higher level courses. You aren't going to get to PA school and be expected to remember the formula to get the entropy or something specific of the sort. I wouldn't stress as much as you are over remembering the basics. Chances are you actually know and use more than you think. With that said, I do believe most PA schools require the pre-reqs to be completed within 5 or so years of applying (all schools vary and this requirement would be posted on the school website), so make sure that yours weren't completed too long ago. Just be confident in yourself and in the PA school that you go to that they will teach you what you need to know. You can also look up PA school curriculums on their website and gain insight on what their courses are like if that will make you feel more at ease.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@countryboy87 You have to make sure that you will be happy working as a PA. The worst that can happen is that when you start working, you discover that you want or would like to do more... PA is a great profession, but when people are on the fence between PA and MD/DO, as it is in your case, it's better for them to look at long term professional goals and choose accordingly.

Take the MCAT and go to med school. I know the bills seem large, but $150K in student loans for a PA making $100,000 a year is a lot more than $400K in student loans for a physician making $350,000 a year.

Hi everyone

I was on track to go through medical school. Post-bac student with 4.0 gap in all pre-req coursework, just decided there is no way i could handle another 4 years of school plus 4 years of residency and all the bills that go with it. I'm doing another year of undergrad where I will complete the following coursework

Fall 15
A&P 1
Biochemistry
Cell Biology

Spring 16
A&P 2
Microbiology
Genetics

Currently I have

Bio 1 & 2
Gen Chem 1 & 2
Physics 1 & 2
Organic 1 & 2

Aside from organic, I hardly remember anything from bio or gen chem, its pretty well out the door from making room for organic. I'm curious, even though I will not be taking the MCAT, should I continue to study for it aside from the Physics so that I am on par for the gen bio, gen chem and organic areas that would be expected of me when beginning PA school?

I was thinking of buying the bio vids from chad on coursesaver and taking notes/memorizing all that stuff, going through all my lecture notes for organic 1 & 2 and perhaps buy the videos and takes notes on the gen chem stuff. Frankly none of this sounds fun but I don't want to show up to school with no clue of what I'm doing.

I'm going to spend the summer going to EMT courses and attain certification so that I can get a job as an ER tech in the local hospital. I will also be studying for the GRE. Should I use the rest of my time over summer to be relearning all the gen bio, gen chem and orgo?

I've also been thinking of buying an A&P book along with biochem to get a head start for classes this fall. There is so much to think about doing, what is the best way to spend the time?

I'm curious to know what you decided. It seems like you were doing a lot.

PA school SHOULD teach you everything you need to know so there shouldn't be any need to refresh your past courses, especially if its such elementary courses. I agree with W19. I'm not sure if you have a complete understanding of the PA profession. The reason you listed is valid. Medical school is long and draining so I understand your perspective, but you have to be okay with not being "top dog".

I disagree with boatswain2PA. The $150k debt for PA students and making $100k a year is a fair statement, however, not many physicians make 350k a year. I can only think of radiologist who makes that much and that's at the minimum at 4 year residency. I'm sure surgeons make more but that's around an 7-8 year residency.

Reactions: 1 user
PA school SHOULD teach you everything you need to know so there shouldn't be any need to refresh your past courses, especially if its such elementary courses. I agree with W19. I'm not sure if you have a complete understanding of the PA profession. The reason you listed is valid. Medical school is long and draining so I understand your perspective, but you have to be okay with not being "top dog".

I disagree with boatswain2PA. The $150k debt for PA students and making $100k a year is a fair statement, however, not many physicians make 350k a year. I can only think of radiologist who makes that much and that's at the minimum at 4 year residency. I'm sure surgeons make more but that's around an 7-8 year residency.

I know a lot of EM attendings making that much. Also GI/Cards and the ROAD specialities make around that much or more. General surgery is less than 7-8years for residency so us urology.

I know a lot of EM attendings making that much. Also GI/Cards and the ROAD specialities make around that much or more. General surgery is less than 7-8years for residency so us urology.

Emergency Physician average salary is $259k according to this website and numerous others http://www1.salary.com/ER-Doctor-Salary.html

Now I'm sure theres several people in their respective careers that make above average salaries and even up to the 90 percentile. Orthopedic PAs can make up to $250k a year but that's probably 90 percentile as well. Not everybody can be the top 10%. I agree GI/cardio/urology all make big bucks but their residencies are long as hell. Cardiology is around a 6 year residency if not more.

Emergency Physician average salary is $259k according to this website and numerous others http://www1.salary.com/ER-Doctor-Salary.html

Now I'm sure theres several people in their respective careers that make above average salaries and even up to the 90 percentile. Orthopedic PAs can make up to $250k a year but that's probably 90 percentile as well. Not everybody can be the top 10%. I agree GI/cardio/urology all make big bucks but their residencies are long as hell. Cardiology is around a 6 year residency if not more.

I would be careful of those sites since the majority of Physicians are guarded about how much they make unless it is around colleagues.

I see you are pre-PA so I would be careful attempting to give advice that you have little experience. (I'm not trying to be mean but thinking folks with more experience should speak more definitively).

If you are wondering I'm a PA/Physician so have experiences on both sides of the fence. I will agree that not everyone can or wants to be a Physician due to numerous reasons

Last edited:
all of the ER docs I know at multiple facilities make 150-200 dollars/hr .
I agree with you that physician salaries overall are significantly better than PA salaries. A highly paid PA (top 10%) is probably making what the lowest 2% of physicians make.