Preparing for PCMHI rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MidWestLass

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting internship in July and was assigned PCMHI as my first rotation. Since I will be applying to postdoc positions shortly after, I want to do the best I can. However, I'm worried because I don't have any experience in PCMHI. Are there any resources/books that would help prepare me to hit the ground running when I start this rotation? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is this at the VA? Some VA's are better at following the model than others. However, it will help to read up on CBT-I, smoking cessation, motivational interviewing for health behavior change, CBT for chronic pain, as well short-tern therapy (under 8 sessions with 30 minute appointments).

Reactions: 1 user
It is the VA. Thank you for those suggestions. They are very helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
VA primary care training experiences vary, with some integrating much more health psychology/behavioral medicine in their clinics than others. That said, here are some broad resources you might be able to access:

1. If you're a member of the National Register, there are some free videos on the web site that will give you a brief orientation to PCMHI: https://www.nationalregister.org/education-training/ihts/

2. This book (used 1st edition can be found cheaper and will suffice as an introduction): Home Page

3. If you're a member of APA, this (I think) is free: APA Integrated Health Care Alliance

4. Some general info/links on primary care psychology: Primary Care Psychology

Reactions: 1 users
I would recommend reading behavioral consultation and primary care by Jeffrey T. Reiter, and Patricia J. Robinson. It is the gold standard with PCBH and will give you a great deal of information with regard to PCMHI. Also check out the CHFA (Collaborative Family Healthcare Association) website.
Since you have never done PCMHI before, try to get used to cutting appointment times down to 30 minutes or less and read up on common chronic medical diagnoses (hypertension, diabetes, pain, sleep, weight management, etc..).

Reactions: 2 users
Keep in mind that PCMHI will often be diet mental heath clinic at many places, so treating/advising on adjustment issues, grief, Family dysfunction, and just plain ****ty life circumstances is something that you will need to be skilled in. You will need to rely almost entirely on behavioral interventions as well. If you do get into cognitive stuff, you’re not gonna have time to drill down into intermediary beliefs, core beliefs etc. Familiarity with ACT principles and analogies is also helpful, as both you and the patient will often be powerless to change many of the things they bring into your office.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
These are all wonderful suggestions. I've already purchased a few of the suggestions. Thank you!