Preparing for residency selection ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted4401

I'm coming up on completing second year, and I'm starting to try to figure out how to best position myself for residency application and selection.

I feel like there is a paradox, though. It seems as all the competitive specialties (ENT, Derm, Urology, EM, Orthopedic, Optho, Rad Onc) are all electives. And, so I don't even get exposure to them until Fall of senior year. And, to top it off, all the competitive fields demand some research. So, say I did Derm research second and third year. Suppose, fourth year I do rad onc and I love it. Now what? How am I supposed to justify applying to a residency when all my experience/background lies in a 30 day block? Do I have to take a year to do research?

Also, with fellowships, I'm confused as to whether I should show some interest now. If I'm considering hem-onc, should I be on the horn doing some cancer research? Or, do I wait for residency to do it?

I guess, the major problem here is that I've gone through studying almost every single system, and I can't say that I've ruled out much except OB-GYN. But, maybe that's because of the traumatic standardized patient gyn exam, and maybe I'll love the rotation. I think it all sounds cool on paper, but I don't want to be forced or limited in selection.

I guess, however, the leading contenders are a sub specialty through peds or medicine (allergy, cardio, nephro) or one of the cancer specialties (rad onc, hem-onc, surg onc). Wait, that didn't narrow it down at all. Shoot.

What sort of steps should I take to address this?

Thanks in advance,
Simul

Members don't see this ad.