Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Preparing for residency

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by zoondel, Jan 7, 2009.

1. zoondel

zoondel SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'll be starting my peds residency (hopefully) come July. I'm two years out of med school (pursuing a non-medicine-related degree), and I'm definitely rusty. I'm currently doing a little research at a hospital where I also attend rounds and examine interesting patients just to keep my mind "in the game."

However, after my interviews and second looks, I'm feeling that it would be a good idea to brush up on my basics. Starting now, I can do a little bit each day (even 15-20).

Any suggestions as to materials? 3rd-year clerkship rvw books? Board review? (I will have to take Step 3 at some point). How necessary is this?

Thanks!:)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Stitch

Stitch Jedi Ninja Wizard
    Moderator Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I've found the magazines "pediatrics" and "Pediatric Consultant" are great general peds reviews and board oriented. They tend to have case discussions and reviews of treatments/management. Chances are your med library or peds department has them or can get them on line. They're great for residency too, and I think you get a free 3 year subscription from the AAP or ABP once you start residency.

4. zoondel

zoondel SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks! Keep the suggestions coming.

5. BigNavyPedsGuy

BigNavyPedsGuy Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    "Contemporary Pediatrics" and "peds in Review" are good general sources for studying. Articles that outly common problems and provide treatment recommendations.