Preparing for residency

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by zoondel, Jan 7, 2009.

1. zoondel

zoondel SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Verified Account 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'll be starting my peds residency (hopefully) come July. I'm two years out of med school (pursuing a non-medicine-related degree), and I'm definitely rusty. I'm currently doing a little research at a hospital where I also attend rounds and examine interesting patients just to keep my mind "in the game."

However, after my interviews and second looks, I'm feeling that it would be a good idea to brush up on my basics. Starting now, I can do a little bit each day (even 15-20).

Any suggestions as to materials? 3rd-year clerkship rvw books? Board review? (I will have to take Step 3 at some point). How necessary is this?

Thanks!:)

2. Stitch

Stitch Jedi Ninja Wizard
    Moderator Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I've found the magazines "pediatrics" and "Pediatric Consultant" are great general peds reviews and board oriented. They tend to have case discussions and reviews of treatments/management. Chances are your med library or peds department has them or can get them on line. They're great for residency too, and I think you get a free 3 year subscription from the AAP or ABP once you start residency.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. zoondel

zoondel SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Verified Account 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks! Keep the suggestions coming.

4. BigNavyPedsGuy

BigNavyPedsGuy Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    "Contemporary Pediatrics" and "peds in Review" are good general sources for studying. Articles that outly common problems and provide treatment recommendations.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...