Preparing for the Worstttt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cat8788

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so when I decided to do dentistry, I had around a 3.6 gpa.. but after taking molecular bio, orgo I and ecology it dropped to a 3.5 (overall)
and now im taking physics, biochem and organic II. I'm afraid my overall and DEFINITELY my bcp will drop to a 3.3 and 3.0.
If I apply this summer to dental schools and DONT make it in... what should I do?
If people fail to make it in to dental school after applying junior year, do people apply senior year? Is that possible? What are u suppose to do the following year? Nothing? Post-bacch? Masters?
AHHHHHH!!!

Update:
ok I got my grades back
biochem B+
biochem lab B
Organic Chemistry II C+
Physics II C+
Physics Lab II C+

i talked to my advisor and she said that it all depends on my DATs (june 9) that will determine wheteher I will apply this cycle or the next. Is there anything else I can do but try my hardest during senior year and get above a 20 on the DATs?
thanks! :p

Members don't see this ad.

A 3.3 or 3.0 doesn't mean you are out. You can rock the DAT and still get into plenty of schools! Just ask Armorshell. :)

how do you know your gpa will definitely drop? why dont you study better and get some As? then your gpa wont drop.

not everyone applies their junior year. if you read some other threads you will notice there are people applying many years after their time at a university.

Members don't see this ad :)
how do you know your gpa will definitely drop? why dont you study better and get some As? then your gpa wont drop.

not everyone applies their junior year. if you read some other threads you will notice there are people applying many years after their time at a university.

This is true. The average matriculating age for 1st years are somewhere around 24-25, so plenty of people don't apply until a few years after college.

I know my gpa will drop because I just took my biochem and organic final.. which were 20 hrs apart.. and I think I bombed both :(

but so if I appy to dental school my senior year.. what do most people do for that year that they wait for interviews and stuff?

I know my gpa will drop because I just took my biochem and organic final.. which were 20 hrs apart.. and I think I bombed both :(

but so if I appy to dental school my senior year.. what do most people do for that year that they wait for interviews and stuff?

i will say it again. how do you know your gpa will drop? you arent even 100% sure that you bombed your final.

for the year off. you can do a lot of things. you can do anything you want. i know people hate it when i say you can do anything you want. you can go rob a bank if you want, but i wouldnt think thats a good idea. you can do a short masters, postbac, vacation, sleep, play games, volunteer, research, yoga, construction, anything? i would recommend doing something dental related.

Ok so when I decided to do dentistry, I had around a 3.6 gpa.. but after taking molecular bio, orgo I and ecology it dropped to a 3.5 (overall)
and now im taking physics, biochem and organic II. I'm afraid my overall and DEFINITELY my bcp will drop to a 3.3 and 3.0.
If I apply this summer to dental schools and DONT make it in... what should I do?
If people fail to make it in to dental school after applying junior year, do people apply senior year? Is that possible? What are u suppose to do the following year? Nothing? Post-bacch? Masters?
AHHHHHH!!!

If those classes are really hard, I'd recommend taking a couple at a time. If anyone tells you to hurry up, f*ck them...

AHHHHHH!!!

if you apply this summer and don't get in...apply next summer.
to understand your situation completely, you need to take your dats. Work hard to make sure your gpa doesn't drop. If you really want to enter the dental field, you will augment your application and keep applying. Some ppl didn't get in until the applied a 3rd time.
Good luck. It's very possible!

You don't know u failed. I took a biochem lab final once without studying and thought I got a D, and I only ended up missing .5 points, I got a 99.9% and I thought I didn't know anything on that test! Also, you're gpa is still good, and it can't drop by that much, u prob didn't get a c or less! Just do well on the DAT!

But how does a downward trend look to dental schools? Even if the final GPA is still roughly 3.3-ish (only slightly below average, arugably still competitive, especially if the rest of the application is solid), it can't look good to not do as well in the upper-level classes. Wouldn't they think that you can't handle dental school?

Last edited:
But how does a downward trend look to dental schools? Even if the final GPA is still roughly 3.3-ish (only slightly below average, arugably still competitive, especially if the rest of the application is solid), it can't look good to not do as well in the upper-level classes. Wouldn't they think that you can't handle dental school?

i dont think anyone can give you a definate answer. IMO, it depends how bad this downward trend is. I would think the adcoms would focus on key classes and see what your grades are like. Also, dat scores play a role. Have you taken those yet? With a 3.3 gpa, I would work on the dat. With the amount of competition nowadays, I don't think having a 3.3 sets you apart.
good luck

My gpa is currently a 3.404.. my bcp gpa is way worse...