preparing for USMLE: system based approach or subject?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shivasHeroLike

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
- edit - nevermind. i figured it out.

Members don't see this ad.

- edit - nevermind. i figured it out.

I'm replying to this anyway because I think it's a great question and one I didn't think through when I was designing my USMLE plan. I chose system-based because everyone talks about how the test is increasingly system-based and questions are no longer based on one discipline. I strongly regret it. What you should really consider is "How do you learn best?" If it's subject based, then study in a subject-based fashion. You will have no problem applying it during the exam. You will know what is right for you based on how you have studied throughout M2 year. I liked studying in subject-based fashion and integrating the material myself. The other thing to consider is the books that you are using. If they are all subject-based, it is a real headache to try to figure out which pages you need to study on which days to make a systems-based plan. It is not worth the effort to create a systems-based plan out of subject-based books.

actually, thanks for your comments.

i'm having trouble keeping the two straight.

trying to annotate FA ( systems based ) along with the courses that are taught by subject.

i gotta re-up this thread.

i originally posted this about a year ago..

from my understanding from this forum most ppl prepare by subject the first time through and then do systems approach to help integrated each subject