Preperation vs. Intuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saveourpens

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen too many posts on here of people who claimed to have studied 8-12 hours a day 7 days a week during the summer and still get a so so score of 30-31.

I've done well in my prereqs not because of any innate smarts but because Ive probably worked harder than most of the class.

The fact that people can put in 1000 hours into the test and still do average worries me. If its really based on preperation (as many here say) why is that the case?

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen too many posts on here of people who claimed to have studied 8-12 hours a day 7 days a week during the summer and still get a so so score of 30-31.

I've done well in my prereqs not because of any innate smarts but because Ive probably worked harder than most of the class.

The fact that people can put in 1000 hours into the test and still do average worries me. If its really based on preperation (as many here say) why is that the case?

It's definitely a combination of both. You can't have great intuition if you don't know the material, though. I put probably 600 hours in my final retake, and come to the real test, it was the preparation and my intuition together. To see how much time you need to prepare, you'll really need to take a practice test. Even though I have good intuition in the classroom, that test whipped me.

Another thing to note, just because someone studies for hours doesn't mean they're studying effectively. Also, if that person doesn't take any breaks, he/she will most likely burnout.