Prepharm GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

momomango

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been considering going into pharmacy and realized that there's a prepharm gpa that the schools look at and an overall gpa, correct?

I've been considering usc, but it says " Students must have a minimum of
a B grade in all pre-pharmacy requirements and must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 to be considered." on the aacp.org pdf file about the school info.

I'm currently a sophomore and had a rough freshman year and got C's in some of my gen chem, bio, and math classes. Would I have to retake all these classes to even be considered? I'm a bit confused...could somebody clarify please? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I've been considering going into pharmacy and realized that there's a prepharm gpa that the schools look at and an overall gpa, correct?

I've been considering usc, but it says " Students must have a minimum of
a B grade in all pre-pharmacy requirements and must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 to be considered." on the aacp.org pdf file about the school info.

I'm currently a sophomore and had a rough freshman year and got C's in some of my gen chem, bio, and math classes. Would I have to retake all these classes to even be considered? I'm a bit confused...could somebody clarify please? :confused:
I am not sure where you read that you need a B in all pre-pharm courses, I just skimmed USC's pre-pharm requirements on their website and here is what I saw.

http://www.usc.edu/schools/pharmacy/pharmd/admission/requirements.html

"A minimum of 90 semester or 135 quarter units must be completed prior to entrance, with a 3.0 cumulative GPA. These requirements may be completed at any accredited two-year and four-year college or university. All pre-pharmacy required courses must be completed before entering Pharm.D. program, with grades of C or higher. Grades of Pass/No Pass will not be accepted (unless a course is offered only on a Pass/No Pass basis). Distance learning or on-line coursework is not accepted."

In my opinion, if you have improved your grades in the second level courses, then I would still apply at the time you were planning. By retaking a semester/year's worth of pre-pharm courses you may postpone your application by a year. Worse case scenario is that you will have to retake courses later on to raise your gpa (if you were not accepted the first time). Keep in mind this is my opinion and it is what I would do in your situation.