prepharmacy at UIC and majors/minors

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Blueberry92

hs Senior
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I've set my mind on University of Illinois at chicago and I plan to major in BS chemistry.
But I was wondering if I can minor in Art or art related fields.(such as painting) I mean I like chemistry out of all the science and all but what I really ENJOY doing is art. So if I can squeeze art into my studies somehow, I would be able to enjoy some of my studies along with prereq courses for pharmacy . Any advice would be appreciated!
 
If Art is what you are truly passionate about, then I think you should major in it. As long as you complete the Pre-Pharmacy requisites you will be fine and it will definitely make you a more interesting applicant. Good luck!
 
It depends on what route you're trying to take into pharmacy school. It's still possible to be accepted with only the pre-reqs and not a bachelors. Those classes can be done in 2 years if you focus on just them, but it won't leave much room for your art classes (outside of electives, etc).

If you want to do a bachelors, could you just major in chem and minor in art? If that's what you're interested in doing, I'd recommend talking to a counselor right away so that your schedule is laid out in a way that definitely allows you to accomplish both in four years.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi im a senior in high school wanting to apply to UIC as a Chemistry BS major and pre-pharmacy.

I was just confused how exactly that worked? majoring in Chem and pre-pharmacy?

and can you help me out if i can get accepted?

GPA(unweighted): 3.4
ACT: 33
SAT2 Chem: 680
SAT2 Math: 780

Sorry for so many questions but i really need to know fast. x) one last question is the application process.

I was looking at the application online for fall 2012, and i couldn't find anywhere to put my test scores in such as the ACT, SAT2, or even my high school GPA and extra curricular activities. Where do i put all that information?

Thank you so much!!
 
Hi im a senior in high school wanting to apply to UIC as a Chemistry BS major and pre-pharmacy.

I was just confused how exactly that worked? majoring in Chem and pre-pharmacy?

You haven't done your research, I take it. "Pre-" is not a major. Schools, and often the accredidation bureau, have specific guidelines on what courses are required to gain entrance into the school. It's completely possible, depending on how rigorous and flexible your graduating degree is, to major in Underwater Basketweaving, fulfill your required courses for pharmacy school (to view these go to any pharmacy program's website and see what their specific program requires), and gain acceptance. Schools don't care what you majored in, only how well you did in said major, and what your assesment test scores were (eg: PCAT, MCAT, DAT).