Prereqs at multiple institutions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NonTrad1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN community! I have been admittedly addicted to this forum since I discovered it several months ago and finally came to a question that I could not find answered elsewhere. First, a little background on my situation. I'm a non-trad applicant, graduated from a top business school in 2009. I am currently a CPA working full time and taking the prereqs to apply to medical school. I really can't afford to quit my job (which pays well) to be able to take my prereq classes from a 4-year university. Thus, I am taking them at night at my local CC (which has a pretty good reputation though). I have read ALL the threads about the pros and cons of classes at CC and, as I don't have much choice, that is what I have to do. (i.e. not looking to get reamed for taking them at cc versus 4 year).

I graduated with an undergrad GPA of ~3.7 and should have a 4.0 post-bacc GPA and a 4.0 sGPA (I'm almost done with my science prereqs, only a few more classes to go). By the time I apply, I should have ~200 hours of clinical volunteering (while working full-time and taking classes), as well as some shadowing experience (probably only 20 hours or so). I have TONS of EC's from college that I did throughout my entire college career and some of which have carried into my professional life. Thus, I'm not terribly worried about that part of my app. I feel like I am learning a lot in my science prereqs so I'm hoping that I will be able to pull off a competitive MCAT score.

My question is this: So far, I have taken Bio I & II, Gen chem I & II, A&P, Genetics, Calc, Stats, PHYS I & II all at one CC. I am needing to take organic I in the fall and organic II in the spring. However, the CC I'm currently enrolled at does not offer an organic class at a time that works with my full-time work schedule! The CC that is one county over (and actually closer to my job & cheaper) offers this class in the evening, which would work perfectly into my schedule. Will it look bad to adcoms to have 1) 3 degrees from a top business school (BA business, BA music, Masters Accounting), 2) All prereqs except orgo's at one CC, and 3) Orgo prereqs at a different CC? I'm worried that it will look bad to have classes coming from so many different institutions...thoughts?

Thanks so much for the help!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I am a TX resident and plan on applying in Texas.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDN community! I have been admittedly addicted to this forum since I discovered it several months ago and finally came to a question that I could not find answered elsewhere. First, a little background on my situation. I'm a non-trad applicant, graduated from a top business school in 2009. I am currently a CPA working full time and taking the prereqs to apply to medical school. I really can't afford to quit my job (which pays well) to be able to take my prereq classes from a 4-year university. Thus, I am taking them at night at my local CC (which has a pretty good reputation though). I have read ALL the threads about the pros and cons of classes at CC and, as I don't have much choice, that is what I have to do. (i.e. not looking to get reamed for taking them at cc versus 4 year).

I graduated with an undergrad GPA of ~3.7 and should have a 4.0 post-bacc GPA and a 4.0 sGPA (I'm almost done with my science prereqs, only a few more classes to go). By the time I apply, I should have ~200 hours of clinical volunteering (while working full-time and taking classes), as well as some shadowing experience (probably only 20 hours or so). I have TONS of EC's from college that I did throughout my entire college career and some of which have carried into my professional life. Thus, I'm not terribly worried about that part of my app. I feel like I am learning a lot in my science prereqs so I'm hoping that I will be able to pull off a competitive MCAT score.

My question is this: So far, I have taken Bio I & II, Gen chem I & II, A&P, Genetics, Calc, Stats, PHYS I & II all at one CC. I am needing to take organic I in the fall and organic II in the spring. However, the CC I'm currently enrolled at does not offer an organic class at a time that works with my full-time work schedule! The CC that is one county over (and actually closer to my job & cheaper) offers this class in the evening, which would work perfectly into my schedule.

Will it look bad to adcoms to have 1) 3 degrees from a top business school (BA business, BA music, Masters Accounting), 2) All prereqs except orgo's at one CC, and 3) Orgo prereqs at a different CC? I'm worried that it will look bad to have classes coming from so many different institutions...thoughts?
1) Well, admittedly it looks like you have a problem committing to one career and sticking with it. Hopefully, your PS will knit all these academic pursuits into a logical, seamless whole.

2) I wouldn't worry about it if you get As and excel on the MCAT (which implies that your coursework was sufficiently rigorous).

3) Adcomms understand that working nontrads have scheduling issues. I recall one nontrad who had to send in 17 transcripts when he applied.