Prereqs @ CC vs Uni How Screwed Would I Be? (Poor)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fables

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed that some websites state that prerequisites are "to be completed at a four-year college." Unfortunately, I've already graduated from college with none of the prerequisites, and I want to minimize my already large debt (no help from parents). How much of a disadvantage would I be at if I completed them at a community college?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends which schools you apply to, if your in cali, they don't affect you that much, east coast it may hurt you since some schools (temple) don't accept cc credit. You could look into a postbac for the pre-req at a uni.

It depends which schools you apply to, if your in cali, they don't affect you that much, east coast it may hurt you since some schools (temple) don't accept cc credit. You could look into a postbac for the pre-req at a uni.

I'm hoping for any school in TX

Members don't see this ad :)
Ace the DAT to show adcom tha you didn't sleep through the classes and I think you'll be fine. However, I'm sure some schools will have problems with that. Basically, you are taking a risk because if you didn't do well on the DAT, then it looks really bad. Why not take them at your state uni? What is the price difference?

I am not too familar with the TX schools, I do know they practically only accept in-state and rarely any out of state applicants. I would contact the schools would be your best bet.

Ace the DAT to show adcom tha you didn't sleep through the classes and I think you'll be fine. However, I'm sure some schools will have problems with that. Basically, you are taking a risk because if you didn't do well on the DAT, then it looks really bad. Why not take them at your state uni? What is the price difference?

I'm not sure how well I would do on the DAT, but I don't know if I can ACE it. I haven't worked out the price difference, but I'd estimate it to be in the $2000-5000 range. Probably would be more if I went back to my undergrad institution.

Don't go back to your almighty mater. Compare the cheapest uni with cc. The name doesn't matter. Btw, good luck. That's a lot of hard work.

I'm going to a community college to finish my prereqs since I already graduated from UW, and I can tell you that the material I'm learning is not any easier. My bio teacher is top notch and has worked for years at Fred Hutch. He's very demanding on all his students, and while I think it's a pain in the ass sometimes with the amount of detail he expects us to learn, I know it will pay off in the long run. My chem teacher is the same way. I may not be able to get into Tufts or a couple other schools, but that's fine with me. I know that as long as I put together a solid GPA with DAT scores to match I should be fine. Good luck

customx - I've had a simular experience and explained the same thing but what i've found is that most people dont believe me or dont care or went to a four year exclusivly and have negitive views toward any CC. I dont believe adcoms to be any different.

Point being apply to schools that value your CC credits and the great education you got and not to spend money/time where it wont pay off.

There was an older thread about this awhile back. In the end, the "hard as hell to get in" schools (UCSF, UCLA, Harvard, Columbia, etc) don't care about cc credits and the "not as hard to get in" schools do (Tufts, Boston, Temple, etc). When I went to UCSF, my faculty interviewer even said that every year they get and accept more and more people from cc's because "even the brightest are going that route these days to save money."

Save yourself the money and go the cc route. Debt = bad. Just kill the DAT and you'll be fine :)

I would assume you would be at a huge disadvantage. If a school says they do not accept cc credits for prerequisites, then you would be wasting money by taking them there, because they said that they aren't accepted. I was told by tufts that cc credits are not accepted for prerequisites, period.

Your pre-requisites are not going to cost that much, in comparison with the whole picture. But going against what admission requirements say is completely pointless, as they will reject them, then you will have to take them again at a 4 year university. With the debt you will accumulate in dental school, don't take the risk on a few more grand in pre-requisites...

I faced the same exact issue a few yrs back before applying to dental school. I graduated yrs ago w/a non-science degree and when I went back to take my pre-reqs, I took as much as I could from my local cc. I think I took only 2 which were not offered by my cc (biochem and adv. pysio) at the university. I ended up applying to about 7 schools, got 5 interviews and 4 acceptances, so needless to say I worried for nothing. My main motivator was financial as well. I was told by some of the ad-coms that cc credits were not viewed negatively. Best of luck!

well i didn't apply to any schools in TX, but I took all prereqs at a cc (in fact, i spent full 2 years at a cc before transferring to 4-year-institute as a junior standing) and I got several interviews, including NYU which required prereqs to be completed at a 4-year-uni. I applied to BU, another school requiring prereq credit from 4-year-uni.. I'll see what they have to say :)

Nail your DAT and get As and you'll be fine.

Oh and apply to schools that accept CC units. there are only a few schools that refuse to take any CC units. look through the adea guide book. Don't throw your money at schools that don't take them.

the purpose of the DAT is level the field for everyone. if your DAT score blows it blows. It doesn't matter if you took your prereqs at a 4 year college.

I'm pretty sure the adcoms live in same reality everyone else is living. their are cuts backs in education funding in almost all parts of the country.

of the admissions people I've talk to from UOP, UCLA and UCSF, they all understood that students will take courses at CC and expressed to me they have no issues with students take them. Of course they are all in california and the budget issues we've been having the last few years has force major cut backs in education and students will take courses where ever they can.