Prereqs in community college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Engg to Doc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a strange case, could someone help me out? I am a s/w engineer with a masters in comp science and engineering. I am thinking of applying to med achool. I met with an admissions consultant today, and she was very nice and clearly explained the whole process. She told me that I had to do my prereqs in an accredited University, but not in a community college. I do not have too much money to spend. Could someone give me your advice please? Does it hurt to do the prereqs in a community college? I called Stanford and they said that I could do it wherever I wanted. But I am confused, because my admissions consultant is very knowledgeable.

Members don't see this ad.

What is an "admissions consultant?" If you're paying this person, stop. The problem with taking them at a CC is that you don't get to show your ability to handle challenging coursework...but it seems you've already done that. Take them where ever you want. The application process is going to cost you about as much as a year at a CSU, however.

Take them at a CC if you want. As long as the school is accredited and the units transferable, then go for it. As long as you do good in the courses your chances should be good. The advantage in taking them at a CC is the price--its less expensive. Go for it!

Regards,
Student247

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! That was just what I needed to hear. Yes, I was paying the consultant. You probably saved me from a lot of misery!

Call the schools that you are interested in! I did and they didn't mind at all if the pre-req's were taken at a C.C. Therefore I took orgo at a C.C. in a class of 6. Yes, I typed that right. One of the major advantages of a C.C. might be class size which helps in the learning process. Our class was required to take the ACS national organic exam as verification that we really had learned the material. Somehow I don't think that med schools will mind at all that my orgo was taken at a C.C. since I scored in the 100% tile on that darn test.

I'd say it would depend on your GPA from your previous work. I went to a CC for two years and I got accepted to med school. I agree with what was said above, if you have already shown that you can handle course work though having a good GPA for your undergrad then a CC would be fine. On the other hand if you're tyring to improve your GPA while at the same time fullfilling the requirements then you might want to go to a more established school to show that you can handle the work load.

As a nontraditional applicant, I don't think you should worry at all about taking your premed reqs at a community college. If you do well on the MCAT and do well in your courses, you will have no problem at all. I started off in community college back in 92. I went for two years, got about 13 Cs and dropped out (School was not what I was looking for). I did my thing for a couple of years (traveled, worked, 'soul searched') and landed at City College of San Fran with an intention of transferring to a UC. So, I took all of my premed reqs at a junior college, but finished out my degree at Berkeley. My grades were the same at both institutions and my MCAT wasn't bad at all. None of my interviewers had anything negative to say about my premed reqs being taken at a CC. In fact, a few interviewers thought it was a very wise thing to do (save $) and realized that as a non-traditional applicant, it was one of my only options. You may find that some schools (like the Ivies) may have too much 'pride' to seriously consider many applicants who started off at CC, but schools like the UCs do not seem to find CC inferior (as long as you do well on your mcat). Your graduate degree, your work experience, etc..will add to your uniqueness and maturity. Just kick ass in a CC, kick ass on the MCAT, and I'll see you in med school. :cool:

My verdict: CCSF gpa: 3.98/Berk gpa: 3.85/MCAT 9V/12P/11B/R. Applied to 11 schools, 6 interview invites, attended 5, outright accepted to 2 (UCSF and Einstein), waitlisted at 3 (NYU, RWJ, UCI) and then accepted of the waitlist from 2 (UCI and RWJ). I was rejected preinterview from UCD, UCSD, UCLA, Stanford, and Mount Sinai.

Engg to Doc,
As others have said, taking classes at a CC is not bad as long as you do well on the MCAT and your GPA is good. I was a Electrical Engineering major in college and did my post-bacc classes at a CC. I was fortunate enough to interview at 4 schools and got into all 4. I am heading to Einstein this fall.
Good luck,
Droopy