Prerequisite courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bishbish777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had a quick question regarding prerequisite courses from those of you who have gone through the application process. I am planning on applying to dental school this summer, but I have yet to take the following courses:

Anatomy
Physiology
2nd semester English
Microbiology

My question is this: has anybody actually had any problems with schools if they are unable to finish, say, 1 or 2 of the requirements? I am a religious studies major and I don't think I'll be able to take all those courses next year. I know most schools don't require all of them, but many require anatomy/physiology/English, and I don't think I can take all 3 of those next year, let alone microbiology.

Does anybody have any advice? I'm a little bit nervous about this. I thought I was good with the normal gen. chem/organic chem/bio/physics/biochem, but I'm worried now.

Edit: Also, would it be recommended to contact individual dental schools about this? I don't want to annoy the admissions office.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Depends on each specific school. I am in Florida and I know UF requires microbio, physics, genetics, on top of usual pre-reqs. LECOM, however, only requires the very basics, and not even physics.

Also, no, if you do not complete the pre-reqs for a specific school by matriculation, you cannot attend that school. You can, however, apply and take the classes later. As long as they are completed before matriculation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same conversation with my counselor today. As long as you complete the courses by the time you start dental school you will be okay.