Prerequisite Laboratory Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steely_Dentures

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am preparing to apply to dental school in the upcoming cycle, but am worried about the lack of prerequisite lab courses on my transcript. For instance, by the end of this semester, I will have completed foundational chem 1&2 as well as orgo 1&2 but will be lacking the corresponding lab components for each set of courses. I am in this situation largely because I didn't want to waste credits (aka $$$) on silly "laboratory simulations" during these past few COVID semesters. Universities spend big bucks furnishing their labs and have no mercy when it comes to increasing student tuition to fund such endeavors. Why not use the labs if, at the end of the day, I'm the one paying for them? (of course, individual PIs get gov't funding, and schools have other ways of generating money, but you get my point).

Anyway, another point of anxiety is my lack of Physics courses (both lab and lecture). I started on the Biology track in the second semester of my frosh year, so I am a bit behind relative to most other premed/dents. I plan to take all of these missing courses in the fall & spring semesters next year when I return to campus, but I am afraid that dental school adcoms will look unfavorably upon my transcript when I apply this summer. More specifically, I am worried that my GPA will be considered less impressive because of these missing courses.

Am I freaking out over nothing? or is there genuine cause for concern...

For reference, I have done very well in the BCP courses I have taken thus far (37 credits at a GPA of 3.97) and my overall GPA is similarly robust (3.86).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t worry too much about the lab courses, especially bc schools will be able to see that you plan to take them before you matriculate. Moreover, lab grades hardly affect your GPA as they are typically 1 credit, so I don’t think schools weight them heavily unless you fail them or something. Just make sure you get those courses in before you graduate, as long as your ECs check out and you do well on the DAT you should make for a competitive candidate!

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn’t worry too much about the lab courses, especially bc schools will be able to see that you plan to take them before you matriculate. Moreover, lab grades hardly affect your GPA as they are typically 1 credit, so I don’t think schools weight them heavily unless you fail them or something. Just make sure you get those courses in before you graduate, as long as your ECs check out and you do well on the DAT you should make for a competitive candidate!
Oh I must’ve skipped over the Physics part, but the same stuff applies, just take the course and do as well as you can!!

Reactions: 1 user