Prerequisite question: are upper level division biology and/ or chemistry courses necessary ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BabyK

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that most medical schools ask for at least a year of chemistry and biology, and I'm currently doing post-bacc. When I register for biology related course, can I go for the upper level ones? For example, at my school we have a lower level genetics and a upper level genetics course, I'm wondering if they make a difference during the application process? Would it help if I go with the upper-leveled one?

Members don't see this ad.

i think going to upper-leveled is good idea. Shows that you can handle tougher courses.

Reactions: 2 users
Make sure you do bio and chem classes with labs and I would take the pre-reqs unless you have AP credit (then you could do upper level courses) There's no definitive need to take any upper level bio or chem classes unless it's your desire

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Might be a good idea to get a solid background in general biology 1/2, general chem 1/2, general phys 1/2. Two reasons why I think you should tackle these first
1. many med schools state specifically that gen bio gen chem gen phys must be taken. they are requisite courses for admission
2. gives you a foundation in the basic sciences, and builds up confidence going into higher level courses

You don't technically need sciences courses beyond the prereqs for medical schools and your major, but if you like upper level courses and have the time then go for it! If you have a good foundation in genetics/bio/etc. then taking the upper level over the lower level will likely be viewed favorably.

taking advanced anatomy and physiology and biochemistry 2 in undergrad really helped me.

Reactions: 1 user