Prerequisite set-up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mixed Breed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I would like to begin completing my prerequisite courses in January 2012. With that being said, I have a B.A. in Political Science and have only taken Calculus I as an undergraduate. I graduated in 2008. I'd like to know which courses I should take in January. I've been out of school for a while, so I think I'd prefer to take some of the easier courses first to build me back up into school mode.

Any suggestions? I also want to complete my prerequisites ASAP. I am almost 26 years old. I'm thinking of supplementing my course work by working in a PT clinic so that I can gain experience and money, too. I will be living at home for a few years which helps on the financial front.

Members don't see this ad.

How many semesters are you trying to spend completing them? If you're trying to ease into it, I'd start with...
Spring '12: Bio I, Physics I, General Psych
Summer '12: Physics II, Stats
Fall '12: Chem I, Microbio (or Bio II or Cell Bio), Anatomy
Spring '13: Chem II, Physiology, Abnormal (or Developmental) Psych

Just an idea...don't start with too many science classes with labs. Start with 1 or 2 and psych or stats. And if you're going to take class over summer, remember they are usually condensed, so don't take 2 lab classes (unless you can devote a lot of time to them, i.e. you're not working)

I agree with what the first poster said...depending on your time, you probably don't want to overdo it with science labs unless you really have the time to put into it.

Absolutely try to get bio I in first, because that will be a prerequisite for anatomy and physiology, which are arguably the two most important prereqs for PT (some schools may require bio I and II before A&P, so then you'll want to take bio II in summer). Some schools don't require a bio sequence, just two general bio classes (like intro and microbio), so check with the schools you want to apply to. I would say not to overlap a lot of bio in the same semester, unless you really love it, and try to avoid separating sequence courses too much (i.e. I took physics I in Spring 09, and didn't take physics II until spring 10, which was a long time to wait and I forgot a lot of stuff).

Just my thoughts :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to ease into my first semester. I don't have a HS background in Physics, and am thinking I should not condense a Physics course in the summer. I like the idea of starting out with either Chem or Bio in addition to a Psych class. I'd also like to take summer courses. Ideally, I want to complete my prerequisites ASAP.

How many semesters are you trying to spend completing them? If you're trying to ease into it, I'd start with...
Spring '12: Bio I, Physics I, General Psych
Summer '12: Physics II, Stats
Fall '12: Chem I, Microbio (or Bio II or Cell Bio), Anatomy
Spring '13: Chem II, Physiology, Abnormal (or Developmental) Psych

Just an idea...don't start with too many science classes with labs. Start with 1 or 2 and psych or stats. And if you're going to take class over summer, remember they are usually condensed, so don't take 2 lab classes (unless you can devote a lot of time to them, i.e. you're not working)

Thanks. What are the easiest classes I could start out with?

I agree with what the first poster said...depending on your time, you probably don't want to overdo it with science labs unless you really have the time to put into it.

Absolutely try to get bio I in first, because that will be a prerequisite for anatomy and physiology, which are arguably the two most important prereqs for PT (some schools may require bio I and II before A&P, so then you'll want to take bio II in summer). Some schools don't require a bio sequence, just two general bio classes (like intro and microbio), so check with the schools you want to apply to. I would say not to overlap a lot of bio in the same semester, unless you really love it, and try to avoid separating sequence courses too much (i.e. I took physics I in Spring 09, and didn't take physics II until spring 10, which was a long time to wait and I forgot a lot of stuff).

Just my thoughts :p

I didn't have physics in high school either. Honestly, physics I isn't too bad. And as for which is easiest...that really depends on the person. I hated chem and thought it was really hard, others thought it was really easy.

Definitely do biology first. Like I said before, it's a prereq for other prereqs, and it's the foundation for what you'll ultimately be studying for years to come. Any of the first-sequence courses (bio I, chem I, physics I) as well as the stats and psych will be easiest.

And depending on the school, summer course doesn't necessarily mean that it's condensed. Some community colleges offer accelerated (5-week) courses where you're in class for like 3 or 4 hours every day so that you can get both semesters (i.e. chem I and chem II) done in one summer. They will also offer classes that are regularly paced...they may meet every day to fit into 10 weeks instead of 12, but they aren't too crazy. If you are worried about a slightly quicker course in the summer, maybe try to save the stats and psych courses for the summer, and then something like bio II or A&P I where you can focus your energy on that.

What do you think about this set-up:

Spring 2012

• Biology I & Psychology

Summer 2012

• Statistics & Psychology
Fall 2012

• Biology II
  • Chemistry I
  • Physics I

Spring 2013

• Chemistry II
  • Physics II
  • Anatomy & Physiology I
Summer 2013

• Anatomy & Physiology II
The first semester will allow me to focus a lot of my attention to Biology. Do you think the above set-up would be realistic for someone living at home with their parents. I hope to work part-time in a PT clinic to gain experience, too.

I didn't have physics in high school either. Honestly, physics I isn't too bad. And as for which is easiest...that really depends on the person. I hated chem and thought it was really hard, others thought it was really easy.

Definitely do biology first. Like I said before, it's a prereq for other prereqs, and it's the foundation for what you'll ultimately be studying for years to come. Any of the first-sequence courses (bio I, chem I, physics I) as well as the stats and psych will be easiest.

And depending on the school, summer course doesn't necessarily mean that it's condensed. Some community colleges offer accelerated (5-week) courses where you're in class for like 3 or 4 hours every day so that you can get both semesters (i.e. chem I and chem II) done in one summer. They will also offer classes that are regularly paced...they may meet every day to fit into 10 weeks instead of 12, but they aren't too crazy. If you are worried about a slightly quicker course in the summer, maybe try to save the stats and psych courses for the summer, and then something like bio II or A&P I where you can focus your energy on that.

the only problem with that set up is that if you want to apply to any PT schools that start in the summer semester (and a handful of them do), that schedule would not allow it. Additionally, some schools start in mid-August, so depending on your summer school program you might have overlap, which wouldn't work. Finally, a lot of people like having the summer before off just so they can find apartments, relax, work, etc.

One other thing to be aware of, and I don't know if it's an issue for you or not, but if you're on your parents' health insurance plan, they might require that you be a full-time student, so you might need at least 3 classes/semester to qualify.

Personally, I think your schedule you have lined up puts way too much on your fall and spring semesters...I'd at least get one science done over the summer. That way, you'll also have more science grades when you're applying to PT school. If you wait until the fall to get into the sciences, you won't have grades for them at the time of application (which may or may not be an issue with schools...I don't know how they evaluate applications, but I would think they would like to see a range of sciences completed so that they know how you'll do...if you just have Bio I done and then the math/psych classes, that won't tell them as much as if you have Bio I, chem I, and physics I done, for example).

Here is an overly ambitious schedule, tell me what you think about it:

Spring 2012

• Biology I
  • Chemistry I
  • Physics I

Summer 2012

• Biology II
  • Chemistry II
  • Physics II

Fall 2012

• Psychology
  • A&P I
  • Statistics

Spring 2013
· Psychology
· A&P II

the only problem with that set up is that if you want to apply to any PT schools that start in the summer semester (and a handful of them do), that schedule would not allow it. Additionally, some schools start in mid-August, so depending on your summer school program you might have overlap, which wouldn't work. Finally, a lot of people like having the summer before off just so they can find apartments, relax, work, etc.

One other thing to be aware of, and I don't know if it's an issue for you or not, but if you're on your parents' health insurance plan, they might require that you be a full-time student, so you might need at least 3 classes/semester to qualify.

Personally, I think your schedule you have lined up puts way too much on your fall and spring semesters...I'd at least get one science done over the summer. That way, you'll also have more science grades when you're applying to PT school. If you wait until the fall to get into the sciences, you won't have grades for them at the time of application (which may or may not be an issue with schools...I don't know how they evaluate applications, but I would think they would like to see a range of sciences completed so that they know how you'll do...if you just have Bio I done and then the math/psych classes, that won't tell them as much as if you have Bio I, chem I, and physics I done, for example).

Is it doable to take Chem, Physics and Bio in the summer and hope to get an A?

that is overly ambitious. lol. And it's possible to do it in a summer, but probably not advisable if you're concerned. Check the website for the college you're taking these classes at to see if they have accelerated courses where you can get both semesters of a course done in one summer (if that's an option, maybe do that but no other classes), or if they offer just regular classes. If they have the accelerated option, I'd suggest doing it for whatever you think will be easiest, be it bio I&II, A&P I&II or chem I & II. I wouldn't do it for physics since you said you don't have a strong background in that already.

Here's the schedule I did:
Spring 2009: Anatomy (at my university), and physics I (at the local community college)
Summer 2009: Chem I, cadaver dissection special course, online abnormal psych (all comm. college)
Fall 2009: Chem II, intro to bio/bio I, microbio, physiology (all cc)
Spring 2010: Physics II, calc.

Here's what I would do having been there and based on what I think are the hardest (for me, everyone is different)...and physics/chemistry can be replaced by the other one, depending on when they're offered.

Spring 2012: Bio I, Psych I, Chem I
Summer 2012: A&P I, Chem II, Stats
Fall 2012: Physics I, A&P II, Psych II
Spring 2013: Physics II, Bio II

I know I said before not to split up classes too much (like waiting a year to take the second sequence course), but that's what I did above. If you have to do it with a class, bio is probably your best bet, especially if you're taking A&P in the meantime (it's not like physics where if you don't use it for a year you'll forget it...you'll use bio I in A&P, so you won't forget everything you've learned). And if you're not taking a sequenced General Bio I&II, and instead are taking something like microbio for the second bio class, then it really doesn't matter about splitting it up.

I see everyone is suggesting you tackle at least BIO 1 first, which is a great idea, considering it's usually a prereq for other bio courses, but you need to make sure that the university you are attending offers Bio I in the spring. At the university I went to all two-course classes were offered in sequence, meaning Bio/Chem/Physics I is in the fall semester only and Bio/Chem/Physics II is in the spring only and then both I&II of all of those are offered in the summer sessions.

In any case, I will share how I broke my prereqs up (after being out of school for 3 years with a degree in elementary/early childhood education)

Summer: Psychology & Prob and Stats
Fall: Bio 1, Chem 1, Antatomy
Spring: Bio 2, Chem 2, Physiology
Summer: Physics I&II

Do you think this is a doable schedule while working full time? Or would I go crazy? I've already completed psychology, calculus, and stats.

Spring 2012: Bio I, Chem I
Summer 2012: A&P I, Chem II
Fall 2012: Physics I, A&P II
Spring 2013: Physics II, Bio II

Members don't see this ad :)
Xena, if you're fairly confident with the courses, then that should be fine. I don't think that's overkill.

And MarkelMarcel is right about the sequencing...I had to take physics I at a community college while I was still a university student because my university didn't offer the first class in science sequences in the spring. Anatomy was a stand-alone class, which was offered every quarter, but physics/bio/chem I was only in the summer accelerated option or in the fall. I was assuming that the OP is taking at a community college given their situation, and most CCs (at least the 3 where I took prereqs) offer both sequence courses every semester, especially if the school has any sort of health tech (PTA, radiology tech, etc.) program or nursing program.

But to the OP, definitely look into that, because that will make a difference.

I'm currently in the midst of starting my prerequisites for physical therapy school and would like to know if it is advisable to take Bio II and A & P II in the same semester? My objective is to apply to PT school in the Fall of 2012. Please advise. Thank you.

Spring 2012:

Biology I
Chemistry I
Physics I

Summer 2012:

Psychology
Statistics

Fall 2012:

Anatomy & Physiology I
Chemistry II
Physics II

Spring 2013:

Anatomy & Physiology II
Biology II
Psychology

Not sure if Bio II is the same everywhere, but for me it dealt more with the "macro" aspects of biology -- evolution, plants, animals, organ systems, and ecology.

If your Bio II is the same as mine, there will be some overlap with A&P once you get to vertebrates and organs systems, but I would think overall it wouldn't be hard to differentiate what you need to know for what.

That said, you're talking about two very heavy memory-intensive classes at the same time. This may be good practice for PT school, but if you're not used to it, it may be a bit much. If memorizing stuff is your forte, then go for it!

Another thing to consider is that you'll be taking these classes after submitted your apps. Some schools have limits to the number of science classes still outstanding, some don't necessarily have limits but they take outstanding classes into consideration when making decisions, (e.g. having stats and psych leftover is cool but "hard sciences," not so much) -- each school is different. If you know where you want to apply, contact them to see where they stand on this.

I understand you want this schedule so that you can apply next year... if you're dedicated and diligent, it can work for you. Just make sure to get the highest grades possible in all the classes you've listed here -- for all the schools I've contacted, pre-req GPA is given the most importance.

Good luck!

I would take BIO II in the summer, then you can just focus on that one class and in the summer I think it's actually easier. I took BIO and upper level anat and phys with abnormal psych and it was the hardest thing I ever had to do because remember you are taking labs as well. But then again I work 23 hours a week so maybe if you don't work you'll be ok. But if I could do it over I would do it over a summer session. Maybe first session the lecture and second session the lab?

Thanks. Do you think I should load up on more science courses in the summer as opposed to stats and psychology?

Not sure if Bio II is the same everywhere, but for me it dealt more with the "macro" aspects of biology -- evolution, plants, animals, organ systems, and ecology.

If your Bio II is the same as mine, there will be some overlap with A&P once you get to vertebrates and organs systems, but I would think overall it wouldn't be hard to differentiate what you need to know for what.

That said, you're talking about two very heavy memory-intensive classes at the same time. This may be good practice for PT school, but if you're not used to it, it may be a bit much. If memorizing stuff is your forte, then go for it!

Another thing to consider is that you'll be taking these classes after submitted your apps. Some schools have limits to the number of science classes still outstanding, some don't necessarily have limits but they take outstanding classes into consideration when making decisions, (e.g. having stats and psych leftover is cool but "hard sciences," not so much) -- each school is different. If you know where you want to apply, contact them to see where they stand on this.

I understand you want this schedule so that you can apply next year... if you're dedicated and diligent, it can work for you. Just make sure to get the highest grades possible in all the classes you've listed here -- for all the schools I've contacted, pre-req GPA is given the most importance.

Good luck!

I would take BIO II in the summer, then you can just focus on that one class and in the summer I think it's actually easier. I took BIO and upper level anat and phys with abnormal psych and it was the hardest thing I ever had to do because remember you are taking labs as well. But then again I work 23 hours a week so maybe if you don't work you'll be ok. But if I could do it over I would do it over a summer session. Maybe first session the lecture and second session the lab?

Do you think the following course-load is manageable for someone that is living at home with their parents? Would I be able to manage Bio II and Chem II in the summer?

Spring 2012:

Biology I
Chemistry I
Physics I

Summer 2012:

Biology II
Chemistry II

Fall 2012:

Anatomy & Physiology I
Physics II
Psychology

Spring 2013:

Anatomy & Physiology II
Statistics
Psychology

Would I be able to manage Bio II and Chem II in the summer?

Spring 2012:

Biology I
Chemistry I
Physics I

Summer 2012:

Biology II
Chemistry II

Fall 2012:

Anatomy & Physiology I
Physics II
Psychology

Spring 2013:

Anatomy & Physiology II
Statistics
Psychology

If it were me and I NEEDED to apply next cycle, I would do your schedule above. Personally, I'd rather combine one memory-intensive class (Bio II) with one math-intensive class (Chem II), rather than taking two memory-intensive courses at the same time; it feels like a better balance.

Doing both in the summer might not be too bad... just take it day by day, keep your focus razor-sharp, and remind yourself that it'll be over soon -- it's for a good cause! Aim to get the best grades possible -- remember that it's not just the pre-reqs but the grades you get in the pre-reqs that get you in.

I think it'll benefit you to have most science pre-reqs done by the time you do your fall Academic Update. Unless a school starts in the summer, it's usually not a problem to have one science class outstanding for the spring semester before the program starts.

For example, right now I'm taking Bio I, Chem II, and repeating Physics I b/c I took it a long time ago. For some schools my physics would be too old, for others it'd be fine, but I'm taking it again just to be safe. This schedule is no sweat so far, but it's a slower pace than summer school, and it's only the first month.... In the spring I'll take Physics II and Abnormal Psych.

Everyone has been so helpful in this thread I thought maybe someone would be able to help me with the best set up for my pre-requisites. I want to start by taking at least one class this Summer and then finish in the fall of 2013. My husband is working overseas next year so I want to have the flexibility during the Spring semester to go and visit him for awhile, so I'm thinking if there are any classes offered online that would be the time for me to take them. I'm thinking Statistics, Abnormal Psych and Child Psych would all be offered online. The other courses I need to take are: Bio 1&2, Chem 1&2, Anatomy&Physiology 1&2, Physics 1&2 and Exercise Physiology. A couple things to know: I took Physics in HS and remember it being pretty challenging for me, I also took an Anatomy course in undegrad, I got a B in it, but it was definitely difficult for me.

Here's a couple of ideas (please let me know your thoughts):
Summer: Bio 1
Fall: Bio 2, Chem 1, Physics 1
Spring: Any online courses offered: stats, abnormal psych, child psych
Summer: Chem 2, Anatomy&Phys1
Fall:physics 2, Anatomy&Phys 2, Exercise Physiology

OR

Summer: Physics 1
Fall: Physics 2, Anatomy&Phys1, Bio 1
Spring: Online classes (stats, abnormal psych, child psych)
Summer: Chem 1, Chem 2
Fall: Anatomy&Phys2, Bio 2, Exercise Physiology

There are so many combinations I'm just not sure what would work best.... what would you guys recommend??

The first thoughts that come to me are 1. make sure the schools you are applying to accept online courses and 2. I think most schools require Bio I as a prereq for A&P, which would prevent you from taking them the same semester.

I think it is a good idea to take Bio I first, since it is a prereq for other classes. Also keep in mind that when you lump all those science classes together, they will also have labs and will be very time consuming. It would be easier of you could mix the stats and psych classes with the science classes, but I completely understand wanting to be able to see your husband.

Thanks for your advice. I will check into making sure they accept online courses. I checked with the college and they require either taking Biology as a pre-req or having a C or better in HS Biology. So I should be fine with that requirement.

I definitely hear you about the time consuming labs, but I really don't want to spend 2 entire semesters away from my husband if I don't have to. In this case I think I will have to suck it up because I have to realize what is more important. But thanks for your advice! I still haven't found an online Statistics course at my college. Any suggestions where I can find one?

Hello everyone,

I would like to begin completing my prerequisite courses in January 2012. With that being said, I have a B.A. in Political Science and have only taken Calculus I as an undergraduate. I graduated in 2008. I'd like to know which courses I should take in January. I've been out of school for a while, so I think I'd prefer to take some of the easier courses first to build me back up into school mode.

Any suggestions? I also want to complete my prerequisites ASAP. I am almost 26 years old. I'm thinking of supplementing my course work by working in a PT clinic so that I can gain experience and money, too. I will be living at home for a few years which helps on the financial front.

Just so you know, I started taking my prereqs right when I turned 26. It took me two years to finish (I'll be officially done after the spring, but I'm already in a PT program starting this summer). I took my prereqs under a quarter system, and I already had statistics from the past. Here's how I took mine... Again, these are quarters not semesters:

Year 1:
fall: biology(w/lab), physics(w/lab), chemistry(w/lab)
winter: biology(w/lab), physics(w/lab), chemistry(w/lab)
spring: physics(w/lab), chemistry(w/lab)
summer: child psych, psych of gender (both taken online)
Year 2:
fall: human anatomy(w/lab)
winter: human physiology(w/lab)
spring: exercise physiology(no lab necessary...this is my last prereq I need)

Everyone has been so helpful in this thread I thought maybe someone would be able to help me with the best set up for my pre-requisites. I want to start by taking at least one class this Summer and then finish in the fall of 2013. My husband is working overseas next year so I want to have the flexibility during the Spring semester to go and visit him for awhile, so I'm thinking if there are any classes offered online that would be the time for me to take them. I'm thinking Statistics, Abnormal Psych and Child Psych would all be offered online. The other courses I need to take are: Bio 1&2, Chem 1&2, Anatomy&Physiology 1&2, Physics 1&2 and Exercise Physiology. A couple things to know: I took Physics in HS and remember it being pretty challenging for me, I also took an Anatomy course in undegrad, I got a B in it, but it was definitely difficult for me.

Here's a couple of ideas (please let me know your thoughts):
Summer: Bio 1
Spring: Any online courses offered: stats, abnormal psych, child psych
Summer: Chem 2, Anatomy&Phys1
Fall:physics 2, Anatomy&Phys 2, Exercise Physiology

OR

Summer: Physics 1
Fall: Physics 2, Anatomy&Phys1, Bio 1
Spring: Online classes (stats, abnormal psych, child psych)
Fall: Anatomy&Phys2, Bio 2, Exercise Physiology

There are so many combinations I'm just not sure what would work best.... what would you guys recommend??

Here are my two cents. Or probably more like two dollars worth... I got my undergrad in biology a looong time ago so luckily had most prereqs done already (except anatomy, physio & exercise physio) so that was good. But that being said, these course loads you are proposing, well I've been through it, and it is not easy. Doable, but not easy. Chemistry and physics are very challenging courses. You would be wise to throw in an easier course each term (like psych) to break up the madness. Your situation with your hubby is understandable though. But maybe you could spend summers with him and do school full time in fall/spring? Just a thought. Anyway, a couple of things to consider:

Definitely be sure in advance that ALL the schools to which you will apply will accept the online courses you are proposing. You don't want to waste your time or have to retake a course.

Also, try to plan the whole deal ahead due to the availability of courses. As other posters have stated, some schools offer courses as sequential tracts (like physics 1 only in fall, and physics 2 only in spring, etc). And summer offerings are usually limited. Oh yeah, and check prereq status ahead of time. Some schools won't let you even enroll in Anat without Bio completed or Physio without Chem (my school does not allow it).

Lastly, just a suggestion, from someone who is almost done with all these classes: try to get chem and physics (and bio of course) done before anatomy/physiology. Physiology in particular is really chemistry heavy. Even with a year of chem and a year of o-chem under my belt (albeit years ago) I'm still finding it challenging.

Here's an idea:

Fall: Bio 1, Physics 1, Stats
Spring: Hubby, Online classes (abnormal psych, child psych)
Summer: Hubby
Fall: Anatomy&Phys 1, Bio 2, Physics 2
Spring: Anatomy&Phys 2, Exercise Physiology

Another option is to not try to get it done so quickly. You're giving yourself less than two years (and a skimpy spring semester) to do what usually takes at least 2 years to complete. You need to do well in these classes in order to be a competitive applicant. And remember you have to fit in time to do your volunteer hours too. AND study for and take (and do well on) the GRE if you haven't already. Maybe give yourself an extra year? If it's any motivation, you're never too old. I'll be in my forties (ugh) by the time I graduate from PT school, assuming I get in this year!

Whatever you decide, good luck to you!!!

Thanks for all your suggestions, I appreciate the feedback. I've already checked with 4 of the 6 six schools I would be applying to and they do accept online courses. Just have to check with the other two. So that is good news. My husband will be home during the Summers so I don't have to worry about him being away then. I think I am just going to have to play it by ear really. The college I'm taking classes at seems to offer lots of different classes every semester, the only problem is that they don't have a huge selection of summer classes. By going through their class schedule and based on what classes they offer this summer, fall and spring, this is what I'm thinking now:

Summer: Dev. Psychology & Bio 1
Spring: Online Abnormal Psych & Exercise Phys (I found some online classes that are accepted by my dpt programs)
Summer: Physics 2, Anatomy &Phys 1
Fall:Anatomy &Physiology2, Chem 2, Stats

What do you think of this schedule?? I'm thinking if this course load seems to be too difficult I will do as you suggested and stretch it out into the Spring as well. I'm thinking I will have to play that by ear because I'm just not sure how much I can handle in one semester at this point. If I feel like my grades are suffering I would definitely drop a course this fall.

I think your potential schedule sounds good. Like you said, you'll just have to play it by ear. Try to figure out early on just how much you can handle and drop a class if necessary. Then plan rest accordingly. It is important to not have a whole bunch dropped classes on your transcript, but one won't be the end of the world. So try to find your groove early on and plan the rest so that you can handle the course loads and, most importantly, DO WELL in the classes. And don't forget to leave time for volunteering and taking the GRE!