Prerequisites Course Load Question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustinSane

Student
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I’m trying to figure out the best plan to get my prerequisites done. The problem is I work full time as a paramedic and have a fixed schedule that is Thursday, Friday, Saturday 10am-10pm. This schedule sadly interferes with the common Monday,Wednesday ,Friday or Tuesday, Thursday class schedule.

Right now, the only class I was able to register for next semester was general chemistry at a local community college because it was offered on Monday and Wednesday only.

I’m somewhat confident that in the future I can get my schedule changed to Friday, Saturday, Sunday so that I can take more prerequisites at a university and/or two labs per semester. However, I’m not fully confident and unsure how long this could take.

For the time being, do you think only taking 4 credits in the spring and perhaps again in the summer will do more harm then good? Will it be a red flag to take one class per semester as a non-trad who works full time. Should I just wait it out until I get a schedule that is more conducive for doing the prerequisites?

If it helps I will have a B.S in Emergency Services done in December with a minor in Biology from a 4 year university.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I was in a similar situation when I decided to go back to school. I started with 4.0 credits while working full time and gradually increased my credits per semester while decreasing my hours at work. I don't think the timing of your schooling is seen as particularly relevant, other than if all the classes were taken a decade ago, your performance may not be indicative of your current abilities. It might also not look great if you had perfect grades but only took one class a semester and weren't doing anything else. In your case, I see no reason to wait.

If you have a B.S. and minored in biology you probably won't need that many more pre-requisites. Have you checked the pre reqs for any schools you're interested in? Most of them aren't more than 12-16 classes and you will likely have covered at least half of them already.

I was in a similar situation when I decided to go back to school. I started with 4.0 credits while working full time and gradually increased my credits per semester while decreasing my hours at work. I don't think the timing of your schooling is seen as particularly relevant, other than if all the classes were taken a decade ago, your performance may not be indicative of your current abilities. It might also not look great if you had perfect grades but only took one class a semester and weren't doing anything else. In your case, I see no reason to wait.

If you have a B.S. and minored in biology you probably won't need that many more pre-requisites. Have you checked the pre reqs for any schools you're interested in? Most of them aren't more than 12-16 classes and you will likely have covered at least half of them already.

I've actually decided to take the spring semester to study for the GRE so I can apply for formal post-bacc programs!