Prerequisites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frank Liu

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

In general, how strict are prerequisite requirements? By the end of college, I will have taken the following classes:

*organic I, organic II, genchem II [I am using AP credit for gen chem I]
*physics 1, physics 2
*bio 1, bio 2
*1 psychology class
*(possibly) one sociology class
*im a math/CS double major so I will have a lot of math courses, but none of the "exact" ones they ask specifically for (such as "biostatistics")

Does anyone have any insight as to if my intended pre-med courseload would suffice for the following schools?
*Harvard
*UPenn
*Duke
*Robert Wood Johnson (RWJ)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of schools are transitioning to competency-based admissions, but feel free to look on the school-specific websites regarding prerequisites. They may change or stay the same by the time you apply, you never know.

Since your chances at any one school tend to be small, I'd follow the traditional path for safety. 1 year gen chem/1year orgo/1 year gen biology/1 year physics/1 semester Biochem, gen psych, and intro sociology along with courses in the humanities and if possible upper division science courses will make you safe anywhere

AP courses depend on the school. From my experiences applying, most will accept them. But most schools I've applied to appreciate upper division courses for those disciplines you've used AP courses for the prerequisites.

Tldr; Get an MSAR! Best 28 dollars I've spent.

Reactions: 1 user