Prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aea08257a

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a few questions about the prerequisites for medical school. I know what they are but was wondering if you can apply without having them done yet. I changed my major late and had to rush to get as many done as possible. I am a Junior and had to take Chem 1, Chem 2 and Bio 2 all over the summer to try and catch up. I am in Organic Chem 1 now and was planning on taking Bio Chem and Physics 1 next semester. That means I wont have Organic Chem 2 or Physics 2 done by the time I apply. Is this acceptable or not? Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

You can still apply and get accepted to med schools; you just need to have the classes completed before you matriculate.

Hello, I have a few questions about the prerequisites for medical school. I know what they are but was wondering if you can apply without having them done yet. I changed my major late and had to rush to get as many done as possible. I am a Junior and had to take Chem 1, Chem 2 and Bio 2 all over the summer to try and catch up. I am in Organic Chem 1 now and was planning on taking Bio Chem and Physics 1 next semester. That means I wont have Organic Chem 2 or Physics 2 done by the time I apply. Is this acceptable or not? Thanks for the help.
For all but a small handful of schools, you have until matriculation to complete the prerequisites. If you take the MCAT prior to completing them, though, it's on you to learn the material on your own, perhaps via MCAT study guides. That might be particularly difficult for Biochemistry which is heavily represented on the test.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For all but a small handful of schools, you have until matriculation to complete the prerequisites. If you take the MCAT prior to completing them, though, it's on you to learn the material on your own, perhaps via MCAT study guides. That might be particularly difficult for Biochemistry which is heavily represented on the test.
I will have Biochem done before the MCAT the only classes I will not have done is Organic Chem 2 and Physics 2.

Both of those areas are less represented (than Biochem). How far into that term with OChem II and Physics II will you be when you take the MCAT?
I wont have either started. I could take O chem 2 instead of Biochem, but was under the influence Biochem was a lot more important for the MCAT

I wont have either started. I could take O chem 2 instead of Biochem, but was under the influence Biochem was a lot more important for the MCAT
The most important thing is that you prepare well for the test and only take it when you are confident of a score consistent with success.

Reactions: 1 user
Stick with the Biochem if you must emphasize only one.

Why not take the test later in the term when much of the material will have been covered for the other two classes?