prescribing rights for pharmacists

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by wagrxm2000, 09.21.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. wagrxm2000

wagrxm2000 2+ Year Member

With the increasing need for MDs does anyone see a bigger push for pharmacists being able to prescribe? Heck we can't possibly be any worse then nurses right?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Dr Wario

Dr Wario Hey you! Want to try this pill? 5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Just another metric you will have to meet with no additional help or pay.

trailerpark, josh6718 and BF7 like this.
  4. owlegrad

owlegrad Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine Staff Member SDN Administrator 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Verified
    Pharmacist
    SDN
    Author
    hSDN
    Have you always been this cynical?

5. Dr Wario

Dr Wario Hey you! Want to try this pill? 5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I work for the same company as you but have been doing it for a lot longer, give it time.

BF7 likes this.
  6. HoboCommander

HoboCommander 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Pharmacists will have to master the physical exam and take something akin to the USMLE. This may mean 1-2 extra years of school. Meanwhile, your salary will either stay the same or even decrease with the influx of new pharmacy students. Are you sure you want this?

7. owlegrad

owlegrad Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine Staff Member SDN Administrator 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Verified
    Pharmacist
    SDN
    Author
    hSDN
    I have worked with our company for >5 years, so I wouldn't consider myself new to how it works.

Don't get me wrong, I ain't arguing with you. More curious than anything.

8. pharm B

pharm B Phar Noir Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Verified
    Pharmacist
    Rocket
    Scientist
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    Verified
    Navy
    How comfortable do you feel getting physical with a patient? And to be accurate, NPs and PAs are more than "nurses," in my opinion. I think we would be a great addition to a doctor's office in the form of chronic disease management, but I don't think we could stand alone as independent practitioners without additional training.

That being said, I currently "prescribe" in one of my clinics (technically it's signed off by another pharmacist since I'm a resident). I can change doses or start/stop medications as needed to help patients manage their disease states. I think similar models in the civilian side of things would be a great expansion of pharmacy practice and a big way for us to contribute to patient health.

How do we make that happen? How do we get insurance companies to pay for that?

BF7 likes this.
  9. Gombrich12

Gombrich12 2+ Year Member

Why? Leave the diagnosis to those who were trained in it. And if you suggest additional training could solve the issue, I say why not just back to school to become a PA?

10. BF7

BF7 2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I did a rotation at a military hospital in San Antonio... If you enjoy clinical pharmacy practice, the us military is a great place to practice. They give pharmacists more opportunity and responsibility than in 99% of other settings ( probably because the hospitals can't be sued)

11. pharm B

pharm B Phar Noir Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Verified
    Pharmacist
    Rocket
    Scientist
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    Verified
    Navy
    Because we make more than PAs? ;)

12. josh6718

josh6718 Member 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    "You met your target for flu-shots last month, but you'll need to work on prescribing more Flonase and tessalon pearls while also improving your WeCare Metrics, KPM, Prescription Validation, MySchedule Optimization, and complete 10 new training modules due next week..."

owlegrad and BF7 like this.
  13. msweph

msweph 2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    There is no way I would want a job where I had to do the initial diagnosis. Pharmacists are not trained to do that and I would feel way too unsafe.

It would be OK with me to adjust therapy for specific disease states but it would be nice to have a physician around in case they had some physical exam finding that I wanted them to look at.

14. msweph

msweph 2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    But then again I don't want to do any of this without getting paid more.

pharm B likes this.
  15. gwarm01

gwarm01 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I agree with this. We just aren't trained to do these examinations. We had four years of pharmacy school geared towards being a pharmacist and learning about medications. That's what we do, and frankly there is no need for us to also play the part of a poor man's physician. No one person can do it all, and we already have a lot on our hands practicing as pharmacists today.

Chronic disease state management is something that we are quite good at and many pharmacists do this today via protocol. I would support any of these "advanced practice pharmacist" propositions if it made it easier for us to do these sorts of jobs, where the examination portion is usually limited to a needle stick, BP check, or maybe a little spirometry.

About the ads