prescriptions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wise146

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What type of prescriptions are dentists allowed to write? It is only limited to dental procedures and follow up recovery?

Members don't see this ad.

Technically, as long as you have your DEA, you can write for what ever class drug you were approved for. Legally, there should be a valid reason for RXing the drug.

I mostly RX antibiotics, pain meds for dental procedures, but I have given Valium for anxious patients, muscle relax for tmj, steroids for severe inflamation, antihistamine allegics reactions. and all that fun stuff. All ofthe above did coincide with my treatement.

Can a dentist write a prescription for themself? Im not saying that I would write myself a prescription for any percocet or valium, but I may be inclined to write one for an allergy medicine or propecia for hair loss.

Uve written for myself antibiotics...But usually, when one of us, or a family member needs something like valium, vicodin... we usually write for each other. Im not sure if for legal reasons, or just notto set off any red flags. From what ive seen lately, alot of pharmacies are checking up on frequent prescription patients, and in some cases are refusing to fill prescriptions after hours so they can directly check with the office.

I dont think allergy or hair loss meds would be a problem.

larry