Roy7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2004
Washington DC
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Okay 2 questions:
First: Qbank says that Mycoplasma Tb is the most common cause of TB in immunocompromised. Rapid review by Goljan says that the most common cause of TB in immunocompromised is Mycoplasma avium intracellulaire complex...
Who do I go with?

Also, in goljans audio - he stated that coal workers pneumoconiosis presents with an inreased incidence of TB but not cancer.

Whereas in rapid review he says that neither is elevated in CWP.

Which one(s) shoiuld I go with? Thanks again

fakin' the funk

15+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Okay 2 questions:
First: Qbank says that Mycoplasma Tb is the most common cause of TB in immunocompromised. Rapid review by Goljan says that the most common cause of TB in immunocompromised is Mycoplasma avium intracellulaire complex...
Who do I go with?

Also, in goljans audio - he stated that coal workers pneumoconiosis presents with an inreased incidence of TB but not cancer.

Whereas in rapid review he says that neither is elevated in CWP.

Which one(s) shoiuld I go with? Thanks again

When in doubt, consult a real textbook (like Harrison's).

Despite his greatness, Goljan has been wrong.

For example: Nikolsky sign in pemphigus vs. bullous pemphigoid.

The only truly debatable questions in QBank (IMO) are a small minority of the "what would you do in this situation" questions where either the truly best answer isn't present.

About the Ads

Pepsy

10+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
there is a difference between 'mycobacterium' and 'mycoplasma'... ;) prob. a typo rite.

Tuberculosis is only caused by My.Tuberculosis (in US only this) and My. Bovis (both worldwide).

MAI causes 'tuberculosis-like' pulmonary disease that is clinically indistinguishable from tuberculosis, primarily in AIDS (immunocompromised) pxts. MAI is the most common cause of bacterial cause of disease in AIDS pxts. (Lange Review). Also, in autopsy of AIDS pxts, 50% had MAI but its not the cause of death. (CMMRS)

MAI (being an atypical mycobacterium) has become significant over the last few years esp. in the immunocompromised and still going up. i would go with MAI. (with goljan, lange) however, i dont think you would see this type of q. except in qbank.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.