Presentation brainstorming

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Agent Splat

Viruses? Don't Exist.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm an M4 going into emergency medicine, but I'm doing a month rotation at the ME's office doing autopsies. They'll want me to do a presentation on a topic that relates to both emergency medicine at path/forensics. Naturally I'd prefer to keep it more on the emergency medicine side, and I think that's what they're looking for too.

Obviously I don't want anyone to do my homework for me, but I'm hoping for some ideas to get my brain moving as I'm coming off 2 months of vacation!

Some thoughts I had were on more modern topics involving new side airbags in cars or things to that effect (though I'm not sure how relevant that will be, nor if I'll find any good info).

Don't need concrete ideas, but if you guys have a got any thoughts to get my brain juices going again let me know! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Chain of custody ie-that series of events which allows evidence gathered in the emergency dept. eg-rape kit, to be properly admissable in a court of law.

Hi guys,
I'm an M4 going into emergency medicine, but I'm doing a month rotation at the ME's office doing autopsies. They'll want me to do a presentation on a topic that relates to both emergency medicine at path/forensics. Naturally I'd prefer to keep it more on the emergency medicine side, and I think that's what they're looking for too.

Obviously I don't want anyone to do my homework for me, but I'm hoping for some ideas to get my brain moving as I'm coming off 2 months of vacation!

Some thoughts I had were on more modern topics involving new side airbags in cars or things to that effect (though I'm not sure how relevant that will be, nor if I'll find any good info).

Don't need concrete ideas, but if you guys have a got any thoughts to get my brain juices going again let me know! Thanks!

Commotio cordis
is a pretty interesting phenomenon (and really, really scary).

Members don't see this ad :)
Gun shot trauma, indications for thoracotomy-those would be my suggestions.

Good Luck!

Gun shot trauma, indications for thoracotomy-those would be my suggestions.

Good Luck!

wouldnt that only be associated with forensic pathology should the patient die....

otherwise its just a projectile/kinetic energy trauma

as a *future* forensic pathologist, i would say that a topic relating to a specific type of trauma and how it is treated would be really helpful... a lot of times we see cases that have had a lot of medical intervention and understanding why certain things are done and how that may alter the pathologic findings would be great. sorry no more specifics than that.

and while you're in the office, make sure you understand the difference between a laceration, incision, contusion, etc and how to put the right name on the right injury. and then, proudly disseminate the information to your emergency medicine colleagues. you'd be surprised how often the ER report incorrectly describes injuries. this is unfortunate because it leads to confusion at autopsy and potentially in court. as a famous forensic pathologist i greatly admire likes to say, "if anything CAN be misunderstood, it WILL be misunderstood".

have fun;-)

laceration, incision, contusion

That was one of the first things somebody told me on day 1 this month!

Thanks for the ideas so far, everyone. Allegedly now I'm hearing they'll just assign me a topic that they see fit based on my career, so we'll see. I'll let you know if they assign me one and what it is.

Thanks again! Keep them coming, just in case. It's been a cool month so far.

That was one of the first things somebody told me on day 1 this month!

that's because

A) its a basic FP concept
B) they're hoping you'll teach your future ED colleagues the correct terminology...

that's because

A) its a basic FP concept
B) they're hoping you'll teach your future ED colleagues the correct terminology...

I'll do what I can, but I somehow doubt it'll ever change!