jope

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2005
Up North
Status
Attending Physician
I'm a 4th year student doing my rotation in Rads. I was hoping for an easy rotation before I graduate, but have been asked to come up with a presentation to the group of radiologists there. Anyone here have any interesting topics that a group of experience radiologists would be interested in?

I was told if I couldn't think of anything, I could just present on some general topic like ovarian tumors and talk about the epidemiology etc just to refresh their general knowledge. However, it'd be great if I could get some ideas on something they'd find interesting and/or useful.

kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm a 4th year student doing my rotation in Rads. I was hoping for an easy rotation before I graduate, but have been asked to come up with a presentation to the group of radiologists there. Anyone here have any interesting topics that a group of experience radiologists would be interested in?

I was told if I couldn't think of anything, I could just present on some general topic like ovarian tumors and talk about the epidemiology etc just to refresh their general knowledge. However, it'd be great if I could get some ideas on something they'd find interesting and/or useful.
I did a presentation on a mechanism of injury for radiology once. Fall on outstretched hand (FOOSH) is a pretty common way to get several different injuries. Colles Fx, scaphoid Fx, scapholunate dissociation, etc. There are some more too. It sounds super simple, but there are various different measurements one can make on a plain film to make a call on a not-too-obvious injury. Just a thought... Also my friend did one on liver lesions since they can look significantly different 2ndary to IV contrast phases (i.e. hemangioma vs cyst vs hepatocellular carcinoma and the list goes on). I guess it depends on how long the talk should be and what you're interested in. I want to go into ortho so i did a MSK-radiology talk

jope

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2005
Up North
Status
Attending Physician
I matched to anesthesia this year, any ideas that would lean apply to both? I have heard how Cricoid pressure doesn't compress the esophagus from a recent study.

Tiger26

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2004
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I did one 3rd year on stenting for aortic dissections, but now they're putting in a lot of stents for AAAs as well. You could talk a little about that, along with your hemodynamic management of such a case. If there's any IR guys there, it could be interesting.

cpants

10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Avoid topics like "ovarian tumors" like the plague. So broad, so difficult to narrow down to a short presentation, and everyone there will be expert on that stuff, throwing you difficult questions. Your best bet is to find a topic you are interested in, ie. anesthesiology, and figure out a way to incorporate it into a radiological discussion.

The first thing that comes to mind is endotracheal tube placement. Everyone gets a CXR afterward to determine proper placement. Maybe you could go over incorrect placements (showing films obviously), the various places where the tubes can up and with what frequency, radiologic features of the sequelae of incorrect placement (like pneomothoraces, atelectasis, etc.). Throw in a few slides about the epidemiology of bad intubations, risk factors, the consequences, maybe even some of the financial costs for good measure. And voila. A quick, easy presentation which will be interesting for the listeners.

jope

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2005
Up North
Status
Attending Physician
Thanks everyone. I really like the ETT and the aortic dissection ideas, and will look into the literature for both subjects to see which has more.