pressure to be the perfect pet owner...

Started by squibby
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

squibby

Illinois CVM c/o 2015
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OK, so is there anyone else out there that feels the pressure to be the perfect pet owner because of your career choice?

I'm in this terrible situation where I adopted this dog three months ago that is wearing me, my spouse, and my cat down to our last threads of patience. My other dog is the only one that isn't bugged by her! It is obvious that our home is not ideal. Unfortunately the lady I got her from didn't know what she was doing, and as it turns out her little rescue org. was kicked out of NorCal Beagle Rescue for issues with not following their screening protocol, and not spaying/neutering before re-homing. That's how I ended up paying this lady $170 for an intact beagle that likes to chase cats, among other problems (many which I have greatly improved). From the minute I went to her house to meet the dog I knew I would rather deal with the dog's issues myself than have her stay at this lady's house. She was controlling four beagles with a spray bottle of diluted vinegar! She tried to take me outside to show her how she was training her to not pull on-leash, and she was literally sending the dog air-born when she yanked on her collar.

I feel like a bad person for looking for a better home for her. Do you guys have any feedback for me? I'm really worried about how she would emotionaly deal with what would be her third home. And my other dog, I worry that she will be upset if she goes.
Help! 😱
 
Did you sign an adoption agreement? I was on a board for a non-profit purebred rescue for years and most agreements require that you return the dog if you can't keep it. If that is the case you have to stay the course or return the dog to the rescue to start round 3.
You decided that you could handle this dog better than his rescuer and in doing so you made a commitment. You said that the dog was showing improvement. Almost every rescue dog comes with baggage. I hope that you can keep working with this dog instead of turning her back in or passing her along to someone else who is even less equipped to deal with a dog with ever increasing issues. 🙁
It sounds like the "rescue" that adopted him out did not follow good rescue practice, but you knew the dog was not spayed/neutered when you made the decision to take him. A beagle chasing a cat? Beagles are bred to hunt...did you personally cat check this dog before you adopted? You need to take some personal responsibility here. :scared:
Some of the rescues that I have adopted in my lifetime have been a real challenge, but it seems that the ones that were the most challenging were also the most rewarding. I got back much more than I gave. I think that if you hang in there, this little hound might end up being a family treasure. I hope everything works out for you and your family, including your new Beagle.😳
 
On the other hand, being a good owner means knowing when to get help. And being a good vet means not berating others for mistakes we all could make.

OP, try calling a behaviorist or a good trainer who has worked regularly with the specific issues your dog has faced. And if all else fails, I don't believe there is any shame in helping the dog find a more appropriate home without cats or other triggers for her bad behaviors. If it helps, look at yourself as a fosterer who helped your dog improve her behaviors to better prepare her for her forever home.

Good luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did you sign an adoption agreement? I was on a board for a non-profit purebred rescue for years and most agreements require that you return the dog if you can't keep it. If that is the case you have to stay the course or return the dog to the rescue to start round 3.
You decided that you could handle this dog better than his rescuer and in doing so you made a commitment. You said that the dog was showing improvement. Almost every rescue dog comes with baggage. I hope that you can keep working with this dog instead of turning her back in or passing her along to someone else who is even less equipped to deal with a dog with ever increasing issues. 🙁
It sounds like the "rescue" that adopted him out did not follow good rescue practice, but you knew the dog was not spayed/neutered when you made the decision to take him. A beagle chasing a cat? Beagles are bred to hunt...did you personally cat check this dog before you adopted? You need to take some personal responsibility here. :scared:
Some of the rescues that I have adopted in my lifetime have been a real challenge, but it seems that the ones that were the most challenging were also the most rewarding. I got back much more than I gave. I think that if you hang in there, this little hound might end up being a family treasure. I hope everything works out for you and your family, including your new Beagle.😳

FYI there are beagles bred to hunt, and there are beagles that are bred for pets; careful breeding has greatly diminished the prey drive in them. I was basically lied to about the dog by a lady that pulls dogs from shelters, or gets them from desperate people, and turns them right around to make money. If you read my post carefully you'd see that her home was not a nice place for the dogs. Also, if she was so dishonest with me, she would do the same to someone else with the dog, and she would get passed around even more. This is why I won't return her to the fraudulent rescue lady. Those agreements are not legally binding.

Also, the issue wasn't about her not being spayed...I was pointing out how irresponsible the lady was to be acting as a rescue org. but sending them out intact.

Your comment about "taking responsibility" is more than insensitive. I am basically taking responsibility for this lady's reckless treatment of the dogs she rescues by having worked as hard as I have on this dog. I know what working with a rescue dog is about, my other dog is one, and came to me a basket case. The NorCal Beagle Rescue praised me for all of the work I have done with her, and for trying as long as I could. They know more of the story than you do. I would suggest making sure you know all of the story before telling someone who already feels guilty that they need to "take responsibility."
 
My husband and I adopted a dog that was an abandoned HBC case at the teaching hospital. She was a wonderful, cute lab mix with a severe submissive urination problem which we were previously unaware of. We tried for about four months to work with her, let her get used to us, or even just get used to the problem. After the thirty-sixth puddle in the house (I didn't actually count, lol, that's an estimate) she became a backyard dog, which is NOT what we wanted. I found her a home with some other dogs and land so that she could make all the puddles she wanted outside, and waited quite a while before Chloe came along. I don't feel bad for not keeping a dog when the dog would have either caused us a lot of stress, or have spent all her time outside and alone in a backyard.

Seek a no-cat home if need be, and get the dog neutered in the meantime.
 
My husband and I adopted a dog that was an abandoned HBC case at the teaching hospital. She was a wonderful, cute lab mix with a severe submissive urination problem which we were previously unaware of. We tried for about four months to work with her, let her get used to us, or even just get used to the problem. After the thirty-sixth puddle in the house (I didn't actually count, lol, that's an estimate) she became a backyard dog, which is NOT what we wanted. I found her a home with some other dogs and land so that she could make all the puddles she wanted outside, and waited quite a while before Chloe came along. I don't feel bad for not keeping a dog when the dog would have either caused us a lot of stress, or have spent all her time outside and alone in a backyard.

Seek a no-cat home if need be, and get the dog neutered in the meantime.

thank you for your response. I got her spayed a long time ago, no worries. I just feel like a failure. I will only give her to a BETTER home, not just any home. I appreciate hearing your story.
 
Those agreements are not legally binding.

Also, the issue wasn't about her not being spayed...I was pointing out how irresponsible the lady was to be acting as a rescue org. but sending them out intact.

Your comment about "taking responsibility" is more than insensitive. I am basically taking responsibility for this lady's reckless treatment of the dogs she rescues by having worked as hard as I have on this dog. I know what working with a rescue dog is about, my other dog is one, and came to me a basket case. The NorCal Beagle Rescue praised me for all of the work I have done with her, and for trying as long as I could. They know more of the story than you do. I would suggest making sure you know all of the story before telling someone who already feels guilty that they need to "take responsibility."

Actually, if written properly, adoption agreements from rescues are legally binding. I agree that the "rescue" you adopted from was improper at best and said so in my post. It also sounds like you made great strides with this dog and I acknowledged that also. My reply was not meant to be insensitive, but the story I responded to was the story you posted.
 
Actually, if written properly, adoption agreements from rescues are legally binding. I agree that the "rescue" you adopted from was improper at best and said so in my post. It also sounds like you made great strides with this dog and I acknowledged that also. My reply was not meant to be insensitive, but the story I responded to was the story you posted.

So then the question becomes:: Does this "rescue" care enough to keep tabs on the dog, and will she even know if you do find a better home for it??

I've run into that situation quite a lot...."Craigslist" at least up here is a breeding ground for "resellers"...they take dogs that are "free to good home" and turn around and "adopt" them out for $200, saying that they rescued them from uncaring/neglectful homes, etc.

The bottom line is what is best for the dog. You know this dog best--if you think she'd be happier elsewhere, maybe even as an only dog where she can have all the attention in the world and someone to work with her exlusively.
I won't say you've done all you can, because obviously, there's always something else to try (behaviorists/drugs/whatever), but if you are comfortable with the idea of her in another home, and you are making that decision because of the dog and her needs/wants, then I dont see how it can be a bad situation.

(I hope this makes sense, I'm fighting the cold from hell right now!)
 
My family was in a similar situation about ten years ago. It was our first dog ever (I know, big mistake) and we adopted a dog from a shelter that couldn't have been more wrong fro us. We live in a town, which means the houses have next to no property, and this big shep x needed room to run. As a result, she got a lot of pent up energy, and eventually started becoming aggressive towards strangers. My family knew our home was not the right environment for her, but we didn't want to take her back to the shelter we got her from because it was a kill shelter, and she was now a year old and very big so she most likely would have been euthanased. Anyway, we ended up giving her to a family friends aquantance who lived two town over with a HUGE farm. Pearl has been great. I still see her sometimes, and because she has acres to run on, she has no aggression, sleeps inside and is having a great time. I think becoming a vet means the burdon is on us to do the right thing for the animal, not necessarily the right thing for the person, which may mean you finding a home for this dog, not this messed up rescue woman. Good luck!
 
I think your real responsibility is to make sure that the dog is in a situation that is good for her for the rest of her life. This may mean living with you, or it may mean living in.a home that is better suited for her. If you do choose to find her a new home, it would be your responsibility to take her back if her new family is no longer able (or willing) to care for her. But finding a more suitable home for her would certainly not be a wrong decision.
 
It's tough to realize an animal isn't working out, but if it's terrorizing one of your other animals then something has to give.

Where are you in the bay area? Have you asked nocal beagle rescue for help rehoming her? I've had generally pretty good experiences with rescues in this area, although a lot of them won't adopt out from private owners as it sets a bad precedent, but they might consider it.
 
The thing with breaking an adoptions contact is it can come back to bite you at ANY adoptions agency. If someone has broken an adoption contract at any rescue or shelter, my shelter will not adopt to them. You need to look at your adoption contract before you can really make a decision here. If it states that you will return the animal if it does not work out, then talk to the lady and see if you can find a qualified adopter that can go through the same screening you did, and then adopt the dog without it actually having to stay at the rescue.

I second the idea that you need to put in some time with a behaviorist before you can really say you have tried everything.

Everyone reading this, please take note that when a shelter or rescue asks you a million personal questions and refuses to adopt out certain animals based on your experience level or other pets in the home, it's for a reason. People get really frustrated with me for doing this (I'm an adoption counselor) but if you and this rescue lady had really thought about whether this was the best dog for you, I bet this never would have happened.
 
The thing with breaking an adoptions contact is it can come back to bite you at ANY adoptions agency. If someone has broken an adoption contract at any rescue or shelter, my shelter will not adopt to them. You need to look at your adoption contract before you can really make a decision here. If it states that you will return the animal if it does not work out, then talk to the lady and see if you can find a qualified adopter that can go through the same screening you did, and then adopt the dog without it actually having to stay at the rescue.

I second the idea that you need to put in some time with a behaviorist before you can really say you have tried everything.

Everyone reading this, please take note that when a shelter or rescue asks you a million personal questions and refuses to adopt out certain animals based on your experience level or other pets in the home, it's for a reason. People get really frustrated with me for doing this (I'm an adoption counselor) but if you and this rescue lady had really thought about whether this was the best dog for you, I bet this never would have happened.

Apparently I need to fill all of you giving me a hard time about the adoption contract in with a few details. I told you that I could tell when I met her that she wasn't running her one-man "rescue org." responsibly. I called NorCal Beagle Rescue and asked them their advice because I knew I had signed a contract. They knew who I was talking about before I even mentioned her name. Like I said, she got kicked out of their org., and they have been doing everything they can to stop shelters from releasing animals to her. They asked me to help them by writing letters to shelters in her area and describe what I saw in her house, and how she told me the dog was OK with cats but she isn't, and how she is adopting dogs out unaltered. NorCal Beagle Rescue advised me to disregard the contract.
Would you still give the dog back to her, or do those details change your mind?

Also, NorCal Beagle told me you basically can't train the prey drive out of them. She came from an area where allot of hunting lines are bred. They gave me references for trainers, which I left messages with, whom never called me back. But when I was told that the prey drive is unfixable, how much could a $300 consult really help?

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the well-being of my cat. I agree that I need to do what is best for my pets, but when I am told that I won't be able to stop the prey drive, and my cat whom I've had for years (and who is declawed, btw) is stressed out, where should my allegiance lay?

I guess this grief is what I deserve for being stupid enough to post something so personal on here, that is a very long and complicated story.
icon9.gif
 
I think becoming a vet means the burdon is on us to do the right thing for the animal, not necessarily the right thing for the person, which may mean you finding a home for this dog, not this messed up rescue woman. Good luck!

I completely agree!

For years I have been a canine foster mom. I always foster one dog at a time and I always find them THEIR ideal home. I have never had a problem letting go of them until I fostered a boxer named Ty. I let myself get too attached. This dog had been taken from his owners by an animal control officer because of neglect (he was chained to a fence outside and starved). When I picked him up he weighed half of what he should have. One of the reasons I believe I became so attached to him was because he first came to my home a week before my husband deployed for a year with the Army. He also had a long road to recovery with the starvation he endured and the medical problems that caused him. Additionally, we had a lot of training to do because he had never before been a part of a family.

I could have been selfish and kept him (Lord knows I wanted to), but my home wasn't the right one for him. There were a couple "problems" he had that even professional training didn't help. I turned down several potential owners for him because they weren't ideal for his personality and his issues. Eventually I found him the perfect home...no cats, no small children, the husband goes running everyday with Ty, and they take him everywhere. I get photos all the time and I even got to see him for Christmas.

It broke my heart to let him go. I gave him everything he needed in a short period of his life, then it was time for me to think about the rest of his life and what was best for his wellbeing. I hope this helps and I hope this tough time goes smoothly for you, because I know how hard this decision can be.
 
Thank you guardian17. I admire your insight, which is difficult to see sometimes when strong feelings get in the way.

And lalzi22, thanks for acknowledging how messed up the lady is, and that my efforts might be the right thing to do.

Don't get me wrong people, this isn't some quick decision I am making out of frustration. I've had her since Sept, and I knew pretty much right away that this may not work out. Guilt and wanting to find her the best home possible has kept her with me this long. It has been very difficult.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And if it's best for your cat that you have had for years, I believe that is understandable. The boxer I fostered did chase my cat and nothing I did deterred that. He never hurt my cat but always chased her and therefore he was constantly getting scolded for something that was part of his nature.
 
I feel like a bad person for looking for a better home for her. Do you guys have any feedback for me? I'm really worried about how she would emotionaly deal with what would be her third home. And my other dog, I worry that she will be upset if she goes.
Help! 😱

I know it's hard not to, but don't feel like a bad person for looking for a better home for her. I think it's also a strength to realize that you're not the best person to help this dog. It sounds like the other crazy woman was definitely not the best person either but stubbornly felt as though she was doing the "right" thing and look how that turned out... I think the most important thing is that you put in the effort to find a PERMANENT 3rd home for this dog, and it sounds like that's what you'll be doing, and really that's all anyone can ask for.

I guess maybe a lesson learned from this (sigh... hindsight is 20/20 right?) is to really research any organizations that you might involve yourself with (whether that be a place you're volunteering with, working with, or adopting from)... I can tell you from personal experience, since I work with a crazy like the one you described on a daily basis. I agree with bunnity that especially with a shelter/rescue animal, it's imperative that both the organization and the adopter really puts in the effort to figure out if an animal is the "right fit" for the family. I understand that you took this little guy home by kind of rescuing him from this crazy woman... so maybe rather than thinking that you failed this dog in some way, think that you're acting as a better foster home for him in the interim? I mean what would you have done differently had you known these behavioral issues existed before you took him? You probably would have left him with the crazy woman who yanks on his leash, possibly to adopt him out to a family who won't deal with the behavioral issues or neuter him.

OK, so is there anyone else out there that feels the pressure to be the perfect pet owner because of your career choice?

As for this question, I can say ME ME ME!!!

I feel super guilty all the time because of my two parrots. I acquired them when I was 7-8 years old... so I know it's not my fault, but still. The African Grey's always been the super happy bird who didn't have a single behavioral problem, and was the "perfect pet." We could leave him out all day, and he talked and played, but never chewed up a single thing and took care of himself.

The Cockatoo on the other hand still has me feeling guilty every day. I was the only person in my family who was able to take her out of her cage (everyone else feared for their lives)... but as a busy high schooler who pulled all nighters studying almost every other day... I couldn't keep her entertained enough. I made sure that I always put aside 1-2 hours a day where I was devoted to her so that I can cuddle and supervise her play. My mom was a stay at home mom, so it's not like she was all alone all day everyday... but she was cooped up for much of the day. She had decided that I was her lifelong mate, and got super jealous of everyone else... especially my high school sweetheart. Once I started dating, she became a feather mulitalor... and quite aggressive on occasion. Once I went off to college, she pretty much did not come out of her cage at all except on the weekends when my older sister would come home to play with her, or during school breaks when I took care of her. This went on for almost two years until I finally placed her in the long term foster program in colorado. During this time, she lost all of her feathers except for her down, had gone on human psychiatric drugs for a while to keep her in a subdued state. Just to feed her, my mom and younger sister would have to distract her with a peanut while they quickly took out her bowls.

Because I know that a huge number of "pet" parrots are in a much worse situation that she was in, and because I knew that no matter what, I would be there for her as soon as I was done with school to cater to her needs for the rest of her life, I was determined not to give her up and instead put her in the foster care program. It took me a while to get her there, and I am definitely not proud of the state she was in during the wait, but I can't imagine myself having done anything differently. Just thinking about what I made her go through makes me feel disgusted with myself though, and I don't think this guilt will ever go away... but the only thing I can do now is move forward and be the best mom I can be. (all of my love interests get the warning that if it comes down to it, i will always pick my birds over them... and if they don't admire me for that, then they get the boot😛)

My main motivation for becoming a veterinarian (though I'm sure I probably would have either way because of my passion for shelter med) was because it's the one career where I know that I can find a work situation that will allow me to take excellent care of my birds. And once I get there, I'm hoping that some of this guilt will go away.

so anyhoos, if it makes you feel any better... you're not alone! (and also, i've also taken in a couple of animals destined for euthanasia for behavioral issues from the shelter with the agreement that if i can't fix the probs, then the animals will get euthanized... neither of which i ended up being able to fix. one i'm pretty sure got euthanized (i don't know because this wasn't the shelter i worked at), and the other probably would have had the behavior dept hadn't taken pity on my teenage weepy self and found a no-kill rescue that would take her.)
 
I know from experience that sometimes the responsible thing to do, and what makes you a good pet owner, is to rehome an animal. I had to rehome my horse in high school because I wasn't what was best for her. It tore me completely in two and my grades suffered drastically that year because of it, bu she was able to get the work and attention she needed and deserved that I was not able to give her.

And I too feel the pressure the be the perfect pet owner because of my career choice. Perfect, however, does not exist. I do my best to provide good homes for my animals, and I believe a do a pretty good job of that, but everyone makes mistakes. Bottom line is, you know your situation better than anyone else. If you feel that it is in the best interest of everyone involved, then you're probably right. Trust yourself.
 
The only gripe I have here is that by rescueing the dog from the situation, you actually supported a person doing things more than poorly, and I assume you knew you were doing that (similar to how buying a dog from a pet store, no matter how much it helps the animal itself, harms the welfare of animals in general) but I also understand how very hard it can be to walk away from the situation.

Will the over arching rescue organization take the dog back? If so, that is where I would start for all sorts of legal reasons. While they may advise you that you can breach a contract, unless they are putting it in writing from their lawyers and covering the fees if anything does happen, the advice is worth exactly what you paid for it....same as what my advice is worth.

If not, the next question is can you actually find a home that is more appropriate for it than your home? It doesn't sound like 'without cats' would solve all the issues, and that is often the hardest part of rehoming an animal; finding one that can deal with all the issues. If not, you may need to keep the dog on a leash and retrain for a longer period of time to make the animal suitable to your home or to another home.

I am personally dealing with the 'antagonize the cat' issue myself, and consequently the dog is attached to me at all times when in a house with the cat. Well, except when we are specifically training for different behaviors, then she is off leash only as long as we are progressing in the training and she isn't worn out. It isn't easy, and it sucks, but part of the decision process.

Finally, I will confess to rehoming a cat several years ago. We accepted a white persian from a family because the son was allergic. I should have been smarter and realized 'allergic = cat doesn't use a litter box at all.' We worked very hard over 6 months to deal with the issue. We confined to a crate with a litter box, resting platform, and food/water, and the cat would urinate on the platform or in the dishes rather than the litter box. We tried various litters/boxes/etc. No sucess. We did see vets and a behaviorist. Nothing. Also, our other cat was becoming distressed by the presence but absence (in another room, no interaction) of the other cat. We rehomed her to a work-from-home pet groomer who knew the situation in great detail. He was a lovely, affectionate cat. My understanding is that he still does not use a litter box, but stays in her grooming area which is sprayed down and disinfected daily, so the messes aren't such a problem. He is the official greeter for her business.

As for feeling the call to be a perfect owner, I can emphasize. In an incident on christmas eve, one of my dog's eyes was badly damaged. Both dogs launched after a ball at the same time...the loser was the smaller dog's eye. I felt horrible as i called our vet and made arrangements to meet her for emergency care, and I was in tears most of Christmas, and this was an accident. He will likely lose the eye, and I feel it is all my fault...but he could have slammed into a table corner in the same style of play...but I know the risks when big and little dogs play together. As a dog trainer, I have super high expectations of my dogs behavior, and I didn't realize how much it showed until our vet commented to someone else how amazing all of my dogs are....but I feel frustrated by the slightest rude behavior, because I am accustomed to my dogs being my business's selling point.

So, in conclusion, if you can find a home that is better suited for the dog and is able to deal with the issues and understands the issues coming into their home with the dog, then rehoming may be the best decision. If not, you will have to consider what is best for the dog mentally as well as yourself. You and your well being are as important as the dogs and the cats. Meanwhile, manage the situation to protect your cat.

Best wishes!
 
OK, so is there anyone else out there that feels the pressure to be the perfect pet owner because of your career choice?


I feel it all the time. Luckily, I have only cats, so it is easy to take care of them. Unfortunately, my partner and I knew one of our cats was getting fat. First off, he is a big cat. He is a dsm, so who knows what he is mixed with. He should been between 16-17 lbs. We took him in and found out he was 21lbs! :wow: Well, because we feel we need to be the perfect pet owners, we have placed him on a diet and exercise routine to show other people that a cat can successfully loose weight even in a multiple cat house. We plan to have him down to 16 lbs between 16 weeks (2% body weight loss/week) and 1 year (0.5% body weight loss/week).
 
I always said I'd never get rid of a pet, but things happen. When I met my husband he came with a cat-killing basenji. He also bit everyone- children, the UPS guy, friends, us. We read tons of books, took group and private lessons, had in-home training, and he only got marginally better. I lived in fear he would get upstairs and eat one of my cats, bite the neighbor kids and I would lose my home ( he had a bite on record so my insurance wouldn't cover him) or bite someone badly enough he would end up getting put down. We ended up giving him back to the breeder. She was able to work through his issues and put him in a more appropriate home. It hurt a lot at the time and we felt horrible, but it all worked out for the best.
 
I met with a lady who was interested in adopting my girl. I spoke to her over the phone and we agreed to meet at a dog park with her beagle. She shows up with this terribly obese beagle, red flag #1. I ask her if she has ever had to give up a dog, and she tells me she adopted a lab puppy for her family a few years ago, and gave it back to the shelter because it was hyper and chewed on everything...red flag#2. Then she mentions that she stopped walking her dog when her daughter stopped playing soccer at a nearby park. Yikes! She obviously didn't listen to a word I said about the dog over the phone.

I left that meeting realizing that I probably won't find a better home for her.

I also spoke with a retired couple with five acres of land, who like to go camping and such, and are looking for a dog, but that won't work either (she'd run off into the woods after animals if she went camping).

I'm definitely attached to the little ****. When I actually started speaking to potential homes the reality sunk in that her little face wouldn't be around anymore. When I get my loan checks for this quarter I will call another trainer. Meanwhile I've been using an electronic training collar, which I never thought I would use on any pet. It helps though. I think it is more humane than rehoming. She's really starting to like the treadmill as well, which is her evening exercise.
moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png
moz-screenshot-2.png

Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories.
 
I'm definitely attached to the little ****. When I actually started speaking to potential homes the reality sunk in that her little face wouldn't be around anymore. When I get my loan checks for this quarter I will call another trainer. Meanwhile I've been using an electronic training collar, which I never thought I would use on any pet. It helps though. I think it is more humane than rehoming. She's really starting to like the treadmill as well, which is her evening exercise.

Doesn't SF have one of the best training programs in the country through a shelter? I can't think of the name off the top of my head, but several of the best trainers i ever met attended there. Maybe you could see about her being a project for a novice trainer developing skills? I do think they wouldn't allow electronic collars, though, but it might be well worth it.

My GSD thinks it is fun to make cats make noise by jumping them. I only use to allow her off tether when I am able to really keep an eye on her, and we CC her to ignore the cats by heavily R+ her playing with toys, even more so when cats were near, and R+ 'soft' behavior towards the cats. She is reliable now as long as she gets her morning run. We do feed her out of treat dispensers just to make her use her brain more. It took a good 4 months, but I would say that she went from multiple jumps on a cat with corrections in less than 15 minutes to it being a once a month anomaly that is easily predicted and interrupted.