Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Pressure

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by Kofi Darko, 01.15.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Kofi Darko

Kofi Darko EverywhereIgoI

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    How do you cope with pressure to succeed..? Any ideas?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. NuttyEngDude

NuttyEngDude Red-Flagville 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Rocket
    Scientist
    Exercise, make sure you get a good night's sleep and good nutrition. A beer or scotch every once in a while is nice too.

4. Shjanzey

Shjanzey 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Rocket
    Scientist
    I thrive on it. Without that pressure I wouldn't feel motivated to do anything...I'd probably just play video games all the time.

MedPhys2MD and NuttyEngDude like this.
  5. Captain Sisko

Captain Sisko U.S.S. Defiant 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I also thrive on scotch

6. sb247

sb247 wait...you mean I got in? 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've gone bankrupt before, I just remember how much worse being broke is than any test

MedPhys2MD and NuttyEngDude like this.
  7. NuttyEngDude

NuttyEngDude Red-Flagville 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Rocket
    Scientist
    Really good responses, lol

8. TwinsFan

TwinsFan 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Break things into smaller manageable chunks and remember to compare your outcomes with expectations along the way. Good and realistic planning with honest analysis allows your focus to be on continuous improvement and productivity instead of the "pressure" of succeeding.

Also allow yourself some room to unwind. Finally, you may be someone who folds under pressure, this may mean medicine is a bad fit. Do some soul searching...

9. Darth Doc

Darth Doc 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If it's pressure from other people, it's not their life, it's yours. If they want someone in the family to be a doctor, then they should go to med school.

If you're putting pressure on yourself, then see above - exercise, eat healthy with occasional chocolate indulgence, occasional partaking of alcoholic beverages, spend time with someone who loves you and tells you to stop stressing. Learn to reduce stress as much as you can. Good coping mechanisms go far in the medical profession.

Kofi Darko likes this.
  10. WaterCLurker

WaterCLurker Aspiring Jedi Knight 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I imagine myself triumphantly standing atop the bodies of my enemies. It makes me feel tall. :laugh:

Shjanzey likes this.
  11. Shjanzey

Shjanzey 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Rocket
    Scientist
    Thought I'd spice that up for you :D

Darth Doc likes this.
  12. MedPhys2MD

MedPhys2MD 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I've been making short term goals. When thinking abou the whole process I can get overwhelmed, but one step at a time makes things more feasible

Kofi Darko likes this.
  13. sindadel

sindadel 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would love the OP to define what he/she means by "pressure to succeed". Because, I don't think that pressure to succeed is all that helpful in life or medicine, at least not in the climbing Mt Everest/winning the Nobel Prize sort of sense. Doctors do like shiny things and there is an infinite assortment of them to be had along the way, particularly if you play the academia game. However, the joy of making a positive difference for actual people [substitute whatever your internal motivator is] is what keeps you going day by day in clinical medicine. Just read articles about burnout to know the powerful difference between internal and external motivation. Do medicine because you want to do medicine and because you enjoy most of the stuff along the way. If you're miserable all along the way, you'll be a miserable doctor and we all know we don't need more of those.

Kofi Darko likes this.
  14. Kofi Darko

Kofi Darko EverywhereIgoI

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Thanks! it has to be my gf, lol I always do better when she's around. My good luck charm. Thanks guys!

15. MedWonk

MedWonk 高飛車 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Beer/Wine, Exercise, Traveling, Sex, Food/Cooking/Baking, Playing with my cat, a full night of sleep

16. ejw5075

ejw5075 Smile. 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Eat, Sleep, Sex, Exercise, EtOH-- all great things. What's key for me: Taking a day off every week. Usually it's Saturday but I do nothing academic, makes me work harder the rest of the time.

Also- chill out, no one but you gives a damn about the tiny details, don't kill yourself to be Perfect.

Kofi Darko likes this.

About the ads