"Prestige" is a scam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sliceofbread136

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The smart people are all out enjoying a stress free life, skating by and attending LECOM or wherever while all of us SDN folks toil away only to end up with likely the same job and same salary.

Today I am opting out. No more stressing, no more neuroticism, just going to let the chips fall where they may. Who wants to join me?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
nobody-cares_317034.jpg

Reactions: 41 users
Members don't see this ad :)
upload_2016-4-2_0-28-15.png

White Castle starts most employees off at $9.00/hour. Added bonus of smelling like an onion for the rest of your life!

Reactions: 9 users
The smart people are all out enjoying a stress free life, skating by and attending LECOM or wherever while all of us SDN folks toil away only to end up with likely the same job and same salary.

Today I am opting out. No more stressing, no more neuroticism, just going to let the chips fall where they may. Who wants to join me?
I don't know about the specific school you chose, or why you are emphasizing "stress" as what you could have avoided, but I will point out that the guy in your exact same residency/fellowship/job who got there via state schools with half the loans you had to take out (and there will always be one) is probably winning this game. Sometimes "most prestigious" gives you a leg up, sometimes it's really just a harder/costlier route to the exact same destination. So you really need to focus on the destination and map your route accordingly, not just focus on rank/prestige of the highways you travel.

Reactions: 7 users
I don't know about the specific school you chose, or why you are emphasizing "stress" as what you could have avoided, but I will point out that the guy in your exact same residency/fellowship/job who got there via state schools with half the loans you had to take out (and there will always be one) is probably winning this game. Sometimes "most prestigious" gives you a leg up, sometimes it's really just a harder/costlier route to the exact same destination. So you really need to focus on the destination and map your route accordingly, not just focus on rank/prestige of the highways you travel.

I'm at a state medical school (pay almost nothing with scholarship), just a fairly cutthroat one. What I am not paying in $$$ I am paying for in serum cortisol. But like I said, no more! I'm just going to see where fate takes me

Reactions: 1 users
I'm at a state medical school (pay almost nothing with scholarship), just a fairly cutthroat one. What I am not paying in $$$ I am paying for in serum cortisol. But like I said, no more! I'm just going to see where fate takes me
Just don't expect to skate your way into derm or ortho, and you're good.

Just don't expect to skate your way into derm or ortho, and you're good.
I don't know that people at prestigious schools exactly "skate" into these either, although certainly when you are playing at that level every tiny advantage helps. Look at it like swimmers shaving off all their body hair -- it makes no difference at the high school or college level (or by analogy in 90% of the residencies) but maybe if you go to the Olympics it plays in a smidgeon... Maybe...
But the top of the class at state schools can get these residencies too so your co-resident with half your loans at these programs did things right-- he saved $100k but you got a better logo on your sweats.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know that people at prestigious schools exactly "skate" into these either, although certainly when you are playing at that level every tiny advantage helps. Look at it like swimmers shaving off all their body hair -- it makes no difference at the high school or college level (or by analogy in 90% of the residencies) but maybe if you go to the Olympics it plays in a smidgeon... Maybe...
But the top of the class at state schools can get these residencies too so your co-resident with half your loans at these programs did things right-- he saved $100k but you got a better logo on your sweats.
Not saying he can't, just that someone in the bottom quartile of, say, Harvard can get into these specialties so long as they play their cards right and study hard for the boards. He's gonna have to work, but if he puts in the effort, he can get wherever.

@sliceofbread136 Can you describe what makes your school cutthroat? I know med school is stressful, but it sounds like you have reason to believe your school is especially bad in this regard.

Yeah I was going to say I don't think anyone is skating into the competitive specialties at any level

Its really up to you how much you stress over your current situation. I enjoy the things I do and the hard work is worth it, stressing about med school at this point would just be silly. There is no magical way to get in, it is the same with most things: hard work, dedication, timing. Why stress about something you have a good amount of control over? Also some of us toil away hoping to first get into medical school -> choices in medical education -> that sweet sweet state scholarship, but you know generalizations are cool, have fun being jaded towards others on a similar path.

@sliceofbread136 Can you describe what makes your school cutthroat? I know med school is stressful, but it sounds like you have reason to believe your school is especially bad in this regard.

Culture among the hospital staff isn't too great, very extensive grades, doesn't really feel like the school is on my side. It could just be that I am very burned out third year, but I have felt very disappointed in my school lately.

Classic SDN post. sheesh

Reactions: 2 users
You knew what you were getting into.

I think OP is trolling on all of you. Look at his/her profile--- looks like an MS2/MS3 to me!

i see ur subtle gunner troll OP.

can't fool me buddy. breaking out the first aid as we speak

No matter where you end up, you'll be a superhero to at least 1 patient q.d. one day. :)

kp4ke.jpg

Last edited:
Not saying he can't, just that someone in the bottom quartile of, say, Harvard can get into these specialties so long as they play their cards right and study hard for the boards. He's gonna have to work, but if he puts in the effort, he can get wherever.
The guy in the bottom quartile isn't getting Derm or ortho -- that's an SDN exaggeration. More like the top 35% have a shot from those prestige schools as opposed to top 20% elsewhere. It's really just swimmers hair.

Reactions: 5 users
Just trying to help the new generation with my new found wisdom

Do you want to be inherently limited by the two letters behind your name? Have to learn weird voodoo rituals on top of your medical school curriculum? Take not one but two sets of licensing exams? Then DO is for you!

C'mon, you can troll better than this.

C'mon, you can troll better than this.

Look at the post timing, I'm a changed man.

Especially considering the guy with a do degree will likely actually make more than me considering I am going into one of the least paid specialties.

Especially considering the guy with a do degree will likely actually make more than me considering I am going into one of the least paid specialties.
So essentially, you had an epiphany in the last 24 hours and decided to enlighten pre-allo with your newfound wisdom. Uhh thanks...

Only reason a fellow MD/DO will make more than you is due to a better application, or you wanting to go into a less lucrative specialty.

Only reason a fellow MD/DO will make more than you is due to a better application, or you wanting to go into a less lucrative specialty.

Better app, no not really. More lucrative specialty then yes. We are basically agreeing it makes little difference, which is the point of the thread

Better app, no not really. More lucrative specialty then yes. We are basically agreeing it makes little difference, which is the point of the thread

It makes a significant difference but depends on what you are comparing

Prestige is funny cuz it kind of says "hey the patients that I'm seeing and operating on are more important than the patients who are getting operated on in South Dakota"

of course more prestigious places may have better training and resources for sure

Don't listen to him kids. Your current level of stress is totally sustainable. Keep it up :thumbup:

Last edited:
Lots of people are pretty average and happy letting the chips fall where they may. Good for them.
The view is pretty nice from the top of the heap.

--
Il Destriero

Do you think you are any different from a doctor who went to a no name school? Is your life any better?

And who's fault is that?

I'm not sure if prestige helps with residency placement, but I heard wearing white tie everyday does. I suppose if you want an elite residency, then you gotta look the part, no?

Prestige is funny cuz it kind of says "hey the patients that I'm seeing and operating on are more important than the patients who are getting operated on in South Dakota"
No, the patients are patients everywhere. What it's saying is that even though you are still making burgers, you might learn more working at the place with the reputation for top chefs than with a place that doesn't have as big a name.

Also the patients aren't any less important, it's that the location they reside in is less important

I don't understand what you are saying about stress? You don't have to be stressed to do work or aim for a top %ile grade. The only stress you create is when you have expectations that you pressure yourself to meet but lack the confidence in your ability to do so.

You really think that everyone at the top of your class is some 24/7 stressaholic and that's the cost of doing well?

Do you think you are any different from a doctor who went to a no name school? Is your life any better?
I can't really answer the first question as much of what you achieve is based on your effort, though opportunities for key LORs or research, etc. at top 20 schools are more plentiful. However where you did your residency and/or fellowship is more important than where you went to medical school.
As to the second question, I have a great job with a great group, in a great hospital system. White whale jobs are hard to find and harder to get. That's where every detail matters and someone who lets the chips fall where they may might find themselves not getting an interview. The guy that went to a well known program and rose to chief resident and then got the top tier fellowship and rose to the top again securing strong LORs from widely known experts, it's that guys job to lose.
You don't have to go to Harvard, and you can certainly have balance in your life, but you want to push yourself to be the best you can be. You might surprise yourself and find that you your efforts pay off more than you think.

--
Il Destriero

I don't understand what you are saying about stress? You don't have to be stressed to do work or aim for a top %ile grade. The only stress you create is when you have expectations that you pressure yourself to meet but lack the confidence in your ability to do so.

You really think that everyone at the top of your class is some 24/7 stressaholic and that's the cost of doing well?

During 3rd year? Yes, I think the vast majority of those doing well are stressed and tired as all hell

I can't really answer the first question as much of what you achieve is based on your effort, though opportunities for key LORs or research, etc. at top 20 schools are more plentiful. However where you did your residency and/or fellowship is more important than where you went to medical school.
As to the second question, I have a great job with a great group, in a great hospital system. White whale jobs are hard to find and harder to get. That's where every detail matters and someone who lets the chips fall where they may might find themselves not getting an interview. The guy that went to a well known program and rose to chief resident and then got the top tier fellowship and rose to the top again securing strong LORs from widely known experts, it's that guys job to lose.
You don't have to go to Harvard, and you can certainly have balance in your life, but you want to push yourself to be the best you can be. You might surprise yourself and find that you your efforts pay off more than you think.

--
Il Destriero

So that guy from LECOM won't get a good job?

<- guy from LECOM

I got a pretty awesome job.
You get out what you put in when it comes to medical school. Some bigger names may afford more oportunities with less effort (harvard med with a 220 v lecom med with 260) but that disparity is what it is. The point, work hard, find a balance, achieve success. Hold yourself to a high personal and professional standard and become an excellent physician.

Reactions: 3 users