Pretty amazing stuff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
my head hurts

Members don't see this ad.

The strength of capitalist systems is innovation and development. The strength of socialized medicine is a stronger workforce, morality and compassion for fellow man.

The weakness of capitalist medicine is greed/complexity makes treatment less attainable. The weakness of socialized medicine is less individualized care, lack of innovation and stagnation - the focus becomes mass production of basic treatments.

One could say we are an elephant balanced on a tightrope between the two extremes. We strive for both ideals, we want to help the most people and have the best treatment while supporting the millions of people involved in health care - both providing and receiving.

latinfridley said:
lib·er·al adj.
1. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
2. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.
3. Of, relating to, or characteristic of liberalism.
4. Liberal Of, designating, or characteristic of a political party founded on or associated with principles of social and political liberalism, especially in Great Britain, Canada, and the United States.
1. Tending to give freely; generous: a liberal benefactor.
2. Generous in amount; ample: a liberal serving of potatoes.
3. Not strict or literal; loose or approximate: a liberal translation.
4. Of, relating to, or based on the traditional arts and sciences of a college or university curriculum: a liberal education.
1. Archaic. Permissible or appropriate for a person of free birth; befitting a lady or gentleman.
2. Obsolete. Morally unrestrained; licentious.
I like the fifth definition for liberal. It suits it well...

Members don't see this ad :)
Elephant on a tightrope...

Very well put!

cheers...

-dope-

I'm a Libertarian, but thx for playing.

Siggy said:
Congradulations. You just proved that those with more money gets better health care. Yes, health care follows money trends. Upperclass>Middle class> Lower Class.

This is not racism, this is capitialism.

Thx for playing.
so how do explain this "More current research, including a recent study on cardiovascular disease, confirms that African-Americans receive worse care than their white counterparts, even when they have the same income, insurance, and medical historyou explain this?"

uptoolate said:
Umm, the black patient study has been done and yes, black patients were more comfortable, vocal and assertive with black physicians. Instead of looking at this in terms of racism, perhaps it would be better to look at it in terms of identifying potential obstacles in delivering good patient care. There are many reasons why a black patient might be more comfortable with a black physician and many reasons why a white physician may not communicate as well with a black patient. Nonetheless, the observation tells us that there are some potential difficulties in cross-cultural patient-doctor relationships of which we should be aware and attempt to address.
I totally agree with you.The question should not be whether of not racism is prevalent in this case,but how to deal with such situations.No use crying over spilt milk!Just clean up the mess and get on with life!

camukuhi said:
so how do explain this "More current research, including a recent study on cardiovascular disease, confirms that African-Americans receive worse care than their white counterparts, even when they have the same income, insurance, and medical historyou explain this?"
No link, no care.

If it is in the origional post, forgive me, I'm tired.
Culture could explain it (maybe one group is more likely to follow through with treatments), genetics (maybe some treatmeants work better with some races as compared to others), or maybe poor study design.